DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors near airport

jazzjaa

Reactions
I live next to an airport and have flown inside my house before but it seems hit or miss. Sometimes the restrictions keep me from flying and sometimes it doesn't, even though I am inside. Is there a way to get around that since I am indoors or does it matter since you are not supposed to fly within 5 miles of an airport? Thanks.

I think it has something to do with the gps signal. It is weak or absent when indoors and the the app cannot send restrictions when unsure where you are.
To be able to fly you need to lift of just after you have powered up the drone. The MM is probably in ATTI mode when flying indoors so fly it carefully.

Reactions: jazzjaa
If you are indoors then FAA restrictions do not apply. You might be able to approach DJI for a permanent exception for that specific airport NFZ on those grounds, but I'm not sure if they'll accommodate you or not since that would also allow you to fly outside and you are not going to have a waiver for that. Doesn't hurt to ask though. Alternatively, DJI has a form to perform 24hour NFZ self-unlocks on demand, which can be found here.

You will need to be logged into a DJI account to use the unlock NFZ feature.

I live next to an airport and have flown inside my house before but it seems hit or miss. Sometimes the restrictions keep me from flying and sometimes it doesn't, even though I am inside. Is there a way to get around that since I am indoors or does it matter since you are not supposed to fly within 5 miles of an airport? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have an airport a couple blocks south and an air force base about 3 miles north... I'm BURIED in no-fly zones. That being said, i don't have a problem "flying" inside (to update settings, software, check something out, etc.) I simply need to accept a check box stating that I assume all risks for flying in the area.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Sometimes I get that and sometimes I don't which is why I said "hit or miss" because even when I check that, and it says "go fly" as soon as I do that all of a sudden I get the "you ain't going no where" error message. :) I know that is not exactly what it says but that's what I feel when I get that message.

Sometimes I get that and sometimes I don't which is why I said "hit or miss" because even when I check that, and it says "go fly" as soon as I do that all of a sudden I get the "you ain't going no where" error message. :) I know that is not exactly what it says but that's what I feel when I get that message.

LOL yea that's strange because I've never not been able to lift off. Maybe mine is screwy!

I can cover the area aft of the battery on my MP to force it into Atti mode.

...... you are not supposed to fly within 5 miles of an airport? Thanks.

Just a slight "Clarification". After last year it no longer matters "5 miles from an airport". Hobbyist and Commercial/Part 107 operators all fly per the Airspace you're operating in. The "5 mile rule" is no longer valid inside or out in the US.

Thanks I didn't realize that had changed. I hadn't flown in a while due to my schedule and the last couple of times I tried it wouldn't let me. I will try this weekend and see how what happens.

Unless you are actually inside the restricted (red) zone associated with the airport, you can self-authorize and fly.

Just a slight "Clarification". After last year it no longer matters "5 miles from an airport". Hobbyist and Commercial/Part 107 operators all fly per the Airspace you're operating in. The "5 mile rule" is no longer valid inside or out in the US.

Why then does Airmap and the like continue to show the protected airspace around the airports? Just to indicate that permission is needed to fly?

Why then does Airmap and the like continue to show the protected airspace around the airports? Just to indicate that permission is needed to fly?

I can’t answer that so hopefully someone else can who uses AirMap as a hobbyist.

Reactions: Zeke
Just wrap one layer of aluminum foil around forward and mid section of mini, battery compartment doesn’t need covering up.
This will block gps signals and you can fly indoors in an authorization zone anytime.

go into the advance setting and you see the check boxes

The FAA website FAA.gov that is the best way

Sometimes the way they are written they need some "translation" and unfortunately the FAA is well known for putting new regs out and not updating the many different pages they are on.

I feel very confident that the majority of what you read from our trusted sources here on the forum are going to be accurate and well vetted. Most of the time when new regs are released and "discussed" initially here on the forum the trusted OP will also cite the official source for what they are discussing.

You learn who to trust and who to "Fact Check" pretty quickly around here.

What they are showing you is the actual designated air spaces around an airport.
The 5 mile rule was just some no brainer the FAA threw out assuming that no one would know about air spaces
Sometime jump on sky vector and look at the air spaces that show up as blue and magenta circles and shapes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi