DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors

We have the need to train and fly the M2 series indoors for tactical purposes (can’t say much more). Is there a way to deactivate the upper sensors which prevent flight within 4’ of overhead objects? We have other sensors turned off. Thanks guys.

We have the need to train and fly the M2 series indoors for tactical purposes (can’t say much more). Is there a way to deactivate the upper sensors which prevent flight within 4’ of overhead objects? We have other sensors turned off. Thanks guys.
I haven't found anywhere to turn the infared system off. This is from the manual...
"The Downward Vision System and Infrared Sensing System activate automatically when the aircraft
is turned on
."

Just flew an indoor/outdoor project here. Had not really flown indoors too much other than my photo studio and home, but put it in GPS outside and brought inside and stayed near door with controller. Put in Tripod mode and flew video/photos.
Talk about a "pucker factor" flying near all the equip etc plus the continuous warning tone.Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 5.42.36 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-03-27 at 5.43.13 PM.jpg

If you are looking for how to set full time atti mode, the instructions are on my site.

ATTI Hack using DJI Assistant

If you are not comfortable with flying without gps lock, I don't recommend it.

I've just done the same. Are there other settings that should be altered to be safe inside? I just got prop guards too. I am hoping to do some shooting inside a friend's companies warehouse (similar to the above) if I can feel confident about it.

I've just done the same. Are there other settings that should be altered to be safe inside? I just got prop guards too. I am hoping to do some shooting inside a friend's companies warehouse (similar to the above) if I can feel confident about it.
First off practice flying in ATTI some before trying to handle the camera as well. It is on the RC switch so you can drop out of ATTI mode if needed.
I try to keep as much camera control on the RC as possible so I don't have to let go of the sticks while in flight.
You can change between Video and Camera with the Buttons on the RC as well as Focus, Stop/Start recording and Take Picture.
I keep the Shutter Speed and Arperture on the 5D Switch so I can adjust for lighting with hands still on the RC.
Heres a few things I would suggest...

Use Prop Guards

Power up away from metal and concrete.

Return to Home Altitude - I don't know if this needs gps but would set it anyway.

Set Max Flight Altitude - Set below ceiling height.

Remote Controller Signal Lost - Set to Hover - Remember in ATTI it will drift with the air currents in the room until control is regained.

Obstacle Avoidance - All Off - Can be enabled in emergency via C1 button (see below).

Enable Vision Positioning

Set C1 Button to Enable Visual Obstacle Guidance

Set C2 Button to Botton Auxillary Lighting - Can be used to help with lower vision positioning system.

5D Button - Set to Shutter and Arperture - When flying in ATTI I want as much control as possible without taking my hands off the RC.

The most important thing is to get used to flying in ATTI mode before adding the camera control to it.

Good Luck and Happy Flying...

First off practice flying in ATTI some before trying to handle the camera as well. It is on the RC switch so you can drop out of ATTI mode if needed.
I try to keep as much camera control on the RC as possible so I don't have to let go of the sticks while in flight.
You can change between Video and Camera with the Buttons on the RC as well as Focus, Stop/Start recording and Take Picture.
I keep the Shutter Speed and Arperture on the 5D Switch so I can adjust for lighting with hands still on the RC.

Use Prop Guards

Return to Home Altitude - I don't know if this needs gps but would set it anyway.

Remote Controller Signal Lost - Set to Hover - Remember in ATTI it will drift with the air currents in the room until control is regained.

Obstacle Avoidance - All Off - Can be enabled in emergency via C1 button (see below).

Set C2 Button to Botton Auxillary Lighting - Can be used to help with lower vision positioning system.

5D Button - Set to Shutter and Arperture - When flying in ATTI I want as much control as possible without taking my hands off the RC.

The most important thing is to get used to flying in ATTI mode before adding the camera control to it.

Cheers!
question: I thought ATTI mode disabled Obstacle Avoidance/VPS by default?

Use Prop Guards

I believe 5d button does not have shutter and aperture functions. It has EV or something, like a gamma setting of sorts. Aperture is only on a right wheel. If there is a way to set true aperture and shutter on 5d switch to use M mode - pls explain how as i could not find it.

I believe 5d button does not have shutter and aperture functions. It has EV or something, like a gamma setting of sorts. Aperture is only on a right wheel. If there is a way to set true aperture and shutter on 5d switch to use M mode - pls explain how as i could not find it.
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention it is only available on iOS devices not Android. Otherwise it is in the Remote Controller settings.
When in Manual mode the EV is the Shutter Speed.

I posted a suggestion to be able to assign the camera pan to the right wheel. Then the left and right wheels would be camera tilt and pan. Even more control on the RC.

Reactions: JFree
Cheers!
question: I thought ATTI mode disabled Obstacle Avoidance/VPS by default?
That would make sense. Obstacle avoidance is disabled in Sport mode and ATTI is pretty much Sport mode minus GPS.
The top and bottom Infared sensors are on no matter what. Even disabling all sensors, in ATTI mode it still beeps at me getting close to the ceiling...
I put this in a previous post. Its from the manual.
"The Downward Vision System and Infrared Sensing System activate automatically when the aircraft
is turned on
."
It dosen't seem that you can turn them off.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention it is only available on iOS devices not Android. Otherwise it is in the Remote Controller settings.
When in Manual mode the EV is the Shutter Speed.

So, it would be interesting to confirm for anybody else who uses either a smart controller or an android app.
i just tried to set it up exactly as you stated - and in M mode clicks on the EV functions do not move anything at all. so, is it true that on the IOS this same setting results with shutter speed changing? it is odd. why would it matter what app provided 5D button input? it does not work for me.

If you can successfully fly indoors comfortably then you should have no trouble flying outdoors.
If you are good to go outdoors do not assume you are good to go indoors . It is a whole different environment that requires thinking well ahead of the drone and reacting with measured response and control.
You should always assume the drone becomes "dumbed down" and relies solely on your control or lack there of for proper control.
Lastly when it all goes wrong indoors you have just nanoseconds to react and do so correctly simply due to your reaction time and the micro environment. Better off getting a simulator?
mikemoose55

Reactions: ff22
So, it would be interesting to confirm for anybody else who uses either a smart controller or an android app.
i just tried to set it up exactly as you stated - and in M mode clicks on the EV functions do not move anything at all. so, is it true that on the IOS this same setting results with shutter speed changing? it is odd. why would it matter what app provided 5D button input? it does not work for me.
I learned from another thread some months back that the 5D switch can not be programmed for that on Android devices.
It works fine on iOS devices. I have to agree.... Why?

I learned from another thread some months back that the 5D switch can not be programmed for that on Android devices.
It works fine on iOS devices. I have to agree.... Why?
confusion here is - switch can be set on smart controller in an exact same way as on your screenshot - so, it IS programmed same way. it just does not do anything... that is what is odd, as i would think both IOS and SC should be producing same commands to the drone, but, somehow on IOS it seems to work and with SC - not? odd.

confusion here is - switch can be set on smart controller in an exact same way as on your screenshot - so, it IS programmed same way. it just does not do anything... that is what is odd, as i would think both IOS and SC should be producing same commands to the drone, but, somehow on IOS it seems to work and with SC - not? odd.
I was under the impression that the SC was Android based thus no 5d. Maybe they have it part way fixed for the SC.

Although not recommended would flying indoors be much easier in Tripod Mode?
No, Tripod Mode requires GPS. The DJI Manual for your Mavic tells you not to use Tripod Mode if GPS signal is not strong.

I'm in the same boat. Still looking for an answer to turn off the overhead obstacle avoidance sensor. I can't clear cubicle walls and some staircases with this sensor active.

I'm in the same boat. Still looking for an answer to turn off the overhead obstacle avoidance sensor. I can't clear cubicle walls and some staircases with this sensor active.
way to turn all off is to switch into atti mode. this way it will not use any of sensors. you cannot keep tripod mode on using lower sensors and turn off upper sensors, if that was the intent.

I tried the other day by switching over to "Sport Mode". The actually did turn off the overhead obstacle avoidance sensor. I was able to clear office cubicle walls and fly right up to the ceiling level. My recommendation is to only put the drone into Sport Mode when you need to clear an obstacle you can not get over or fly up stairwells. Once clear the obstacle, switch back to tripod mode. Make sure you leave the radar on so you have an idea what obstacles are still around the drone (front, back, right, left, & below). I do turn all the other obstacle avoidance sensors off so I can still fly through doorways and windows. Give it a try.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15