DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying near Disneyland

wnfaknd

Reactions
So I work a few miles from Disney. I got my mavic a couple of days ago. I tried to fly it after work while there was still a bit of light and during a break in the rain. But I couldn't. The remote told me I'm in restricted airspace and that I couldn't take off. I know there is a flight restriction around Disney, but even for drones???
It's kinda cool I guess, but also annoying.

Any way to circumvent that?

Interesting enough I just watched a piece on the news exactly about how dji's drones will not fly into restricted areas but it also said it could be disabled. Didn't say how. I guess I'll google how.

Disneyland negotiated with the Feds to have this NoFly zone... big biz prevails.

WOW.... I just looked at the SIZE of that no fly zone.... how totally bogus!!! I can certainly understand them restricting flights over/near the park, but this larg an area is ridiculous!

Go here and zoom into the Anaheim area... sucks man, and I doubt you can unlock this one??

DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

This is one of the reasons you guys need a good insurance. Or a flight restriction.
What would you think would happen if there was NO restriction around Disneyland.
Everybody and his mother would fly there.
And with all those children there. Only one drone has to hit a kid. Brrrr.

"There's a safety device built right in. Any way to circumvent that?"

YzInYyF.jpg

This is one of the reasons you guys need a good insurance. Or a flight restriction.
What would you think would happen if there was NO restriction around Disneyland.
Everybody and his mother would fly there.
And with all those children there. Only one drone has to hit a kid. Brrrr.

Completely understandable, but a 3 mile radius seems a bit ridiculous. Look how far that bubble protects them.

Disney does a lot of firework every night , and they are always also expanding their park often .. could be a reason for the big no fly zone

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Disney cant expand that big.... 3 mile radius is excessive, but is not like we can change anything anyway.

So I work a few miles from Disney. I got my mavic a couple of days ago. I tried to fly it after work while there was still a bit of light and during a break in the rain. But I couldn't. The remote told me I'm in restricted airspace and that I couldn't take off. I know there is a flight restriction around Disney, but even for drones???

Look at the size of LAX (an international airport) NFZ compared to Disneyland's...ridiculous. I live in Anaheim as well and experienced the same thing.

Yes, don't fly!
The restrictions ARE indeed for drone operators more so than other pilots.
Learn the rules like all of us do and Do NOT fly until you've learned the rules and obtained liability insurance!

These restrictions were put in place back in 2003. No drones back then

I know this was in California but in Florida Disney has been deemed a no fly zone by the FAA which makes sense. The FAA classifies it as "national defense airspace." The TFR includes the Magic Kingdom, parts of Epcot, and several nearby hotels. In October 2014, Disney's TFR was updated to specifically prohibit "unmanned and remote controlled aircraft." Violators who intentionally enter the restricted airspace can be fined and sentenced to prison for up to a year. I wouldn't risk it myself.

News Story - Unauthorized drone flies over Disney, Universal

I bet you can get some amazing video in Huntington Beach. Went there once while I was in Anaheim, and it was beautiful, may be far enough away where you can fly there. And wasn't too far away from Anaheim. Also had some great Italian food at Carolina's Italian restaurant in Anaheim. Very impressed by it since I'm an Italian food snob born and raised in NYC.

Wow, you guys REALLY want to fly over Disneyland

Try Knotts Berry Farm

I didn't read that in the messages here. Why would you jump to that conclusion? Did you look at the size of the zone? Did you read the OP? He works near Disney. He wants to fly. He is restricted because of the huge NFZ.

But now they apply to Drones, as they should!
Fly safe and obey the rules!
I don't have a problem with the restriction and I agree no one should be flying over the park. It's the incredibly large size of the restriction that I find annoying. It extends 3 miles away from the park. It's ridiculously large

I would never fly over a populated area or an area that is restricted. It just sucks I cant even take my "DJI" drone out into my own backyard and check settings and conduct tests. I happen to live in this LARGE nfz. An inconvenience I need to get used to...

Reactions: ElPocho

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive