DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over a beach. Okay or not?

So to me that definitely crosses the line in being far too close to uninvolved people plus also more than capable of being noisy and annoying to them.

So to me that definitely crosses the line in being far too close to uninvolved people plus also more than capable of being noisy and annoying to them.
agreed,i cringe at the thought of it dropping on someones head

Reactions: Underdog1964
Its more the annoyance factor to me. People dislike drones. They're intrusive and noisy. I don't really see any benefit in flying it low above peoples heads on public beaches. I can't see any useful purpose there other than making people hate them more.

(Also, depends on your country but that flight would be illegal in europe and most other countries i know due to proximity to people).

You kids are hilarious [emoji23]
annoyance factor, noisy, too low proximity, cringe at hitting someone’s head, crosses the line etc... I was expecting such a reaction from kids at this thread so this is why I posted this small clip. So I’m on the beach and a drone at 55 kmh fly by over me and in less than 1 second it’s gone... if this triggers your annoyance you need to see a therapist buddy [emoji16] Before that flight, all the preflight requirements were met. You getting distracted by your noisy wife while driving your car and having a traffic accident is more of possibility than my Mavic hitting someone on the head during that flight [emoji23] calm down guys there’s something called calculated risk.

So you mean an island with a known flight path, with known warning signs for aircraft overflown by an aircraft that has several qualified pilots and every single part quality controlled and regularly inspected to make sure it doesn't fall out of the sky.
Versus someone with no qualifications with a toy drone that has no redundancy, no quality control, no inspection protocol no warnings to people or any form of risk assessment?
Theres a hell of a lot more chance of the mavic dropping out of the air or you screwing up than there is of a properly inspected commercial jet with a qualified flight crew doing the same.

St-Maarten-airport-tourist-death-Maho-Beach-828103.jpg

Can't say the people there aren't informed. Did you do similar with the mavic to inform them? Thought not....

You aren't actually qualified to calculate the risk and thats the problem.
There are laws for a reason. And unfortunately laws are getting tightened more and more because idiots keep ignoring them.

I wouldn't do it as I'd be afraid something might malfunction and a lucky person would get knocked in the head by my falling brick.
Blades tend to be a little sharp as well.

Also, consider that folks are trying to relax so even their perceived privacy issues are worth considering. Do you really want to ruin someone's day at the beach?

Today I wanted to fly at the local RC field in a park near me but there was an event at the pavilion next to it.
Do I have the right to fly there? Yes.
Would it perhaps make someone uneasy or curtail their enjoyment? Yes.
What to do? I went to a nearby school and flew in their field. I was treated to a very interesting chat with an 83 year old gent who was curious and watched me fly for a bit, He had some great tales about growing up there during WWII.

What's my point? In order to get respect, sometimes you have to give it.
Better to not be "that guy".

You kids are hilarious [emoji23]
annoyance factor, noisy, too low proximity, cringe at hitting someone’s head, crosses the line etc... I was expecting such a reaction from kids at this thread so this is why I posted this small clip. So I’m on the beach and a drone at 55 kmh fly by over me and in less than 1 second it’s gone... if this triggers your annoyance you need to see a therapist buddy [emoji16] Before that flight, all the preflight requirements were met. You getting distracted by your noisy wife while driving your car and having a traffic accident is more of possibility than my Mavic hitting someone on the head during that flight [emoji23] calm down guys there’s something called calculated risk.
If you'd been caught flying over people like that here in Oz it would have cost you $10,500.

A Part 107 can NOT fly over people (directly over them) unless they are direct participants in the flight ( visual observers and such). As for 336, I will let someone else chime in.

if we are going to get into the privacy debate, you have no expectation of privacy in a public space. That was decided by courts long ago.

There is no more public place than a beach IMHO.

This is not true. Ones reasonable expectation of privacy is always protected under the 4th amendment. Albeit, REOP is severely limited in public places, one maintains their constitutional right to privacy. (e.g Police/ Government cannot just search and seize you just because you are in a public forum because one does have a right to have REOP even in a public setting) This is tantamount to stop and frisk laws which have been held unconstitutional. In other words, one does have a right to privacy even in public places-- though it is less protected than one's right to privacy in their home pr private property. As for the former statement regarding Part 107-- true, however, the ocean is a big place and therefore so is the shoreline and I am sure one can easily avoid flying "over" individuals per se to comply with 107 even on your very sunny populated beach day [emoji41]

This is not true. Ones reasonable expectation of privacy is always protected under the 4th amendment. Albeit, REOP is severely limited in public places, one maintains their constitutional right to privacy. (e.g Police/ Government cannot just search and seize you just because you are in a public forum because one does have a right to have REOP even in a public setting) This is tantamount to stop and frisk laws which have been held unconstitutional. In other words, one does have a right to privacy even in public places-- though it is less protected than one's right to privacy in their home pr private property. As for the former statement regarding Part 107-- true, however, the ocean is a big place and therefore so is the shoreline and I am sure one can easily avoid flying "over" individuals per se to comply with 107 even on your very sunny populated beach day [emoji41]

Well explained but if it is not good to fly a drone in that area where the surrounding is crowded as soon as possible try to avoid it or try to seek for a great spot where there is less people around or try to make party with other drone flyers out there I'm sure It will be fun :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78