DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over a beach. Okay or not?

Just flew at the beach during sunset with a decent amount of people around. No one really noticed or cared. Although I stayed off over the water.

Reactions: Underdog1964
Here’s the situation your wife is talking about:

Use the range of your Mavic to get the shots. I wouldn’t launch from the same area I intend on flying. Don’t use direct routes that would lead the one nut to your launch site. Early morning or evening shots should reduce the amount of people at the beach. It’s unfortunate that personal security concerns have to be assessed when flying. Sad world.

Reactions: conchman and Mavman
I think the biggest factor nobody talks about is how the pilot is perceived. I’m always with my wife when flying, so I don’t look dangerous or up to no good. What wife would allow her husband to secretly film other women and children? :)

Ahhh! So for those of you flying solo; maybe it is a good idea to bring a surrogate wife, such as a blow up doll, so people think that you are not perceived as a perv.... :D

Reactions: conchman
Just got my first drone. Mavic air. Having a huge debate with my wife as she is convinced it it not appropriate to fly it over a populated beach. She thinks that people see it as an invasion of their privacy and that parents in particular are wary of drones taking pictures of their kids (for the record, I am a parent myself to 3 young children). I fly it along the coast of the island we are on for our holidays. I fly it 40 of 50 meters high. I Don't zoom, just filming the coast line on cinematic mode and testing the ability of the drone. I stay well away from people and make sure it's far and high enough not to be noticed of seen. What's your opinion about it? Okay to fly over a beach or only fly into the open blue waters for a very boring blue video?
consider flying early morning when the light is best and the beaches less populated.

There is no such rule. However, they do suggest not doing it on their website here.

Per US law, you must follow community-based safety guidelines (which could include not flying over unprotected people) and you'll no doubt be liable if you decide to fly over people and somehow happen to injure one of them.
Where exactly is the quote- suggested policy, in the website?
What are community based guidelines? Are U implying municipal ordinances or state statutes can overrule FAA?

Where exactly is the quote- suggested policy, in the website?
1.jpg

What are community based guidelines? Are U implying municipal ordinances or state statutes can overrule FAA?
I'm referring to this:

2.jpg

While US law does not define a list of accepted nationwide community-based organizations (nor does the FAA since they have not been tasked to do so), here are some organizations that claim to be nationwide community-based organizations:

I’ve flown over a bunch of beaches in Curaçao during my visit, and people are either fascinated with it or don’t care. They see me flying far away not hovering over anyone. I think the biggest factor nobody talks about is how the pilot is perceived. I’m always with my wife when flying, so I don’t look dangerous or up to no good. What wife would allow her husband to secretly film other women and children? :)

That's a really good point. Also why I'm always happy to go fly with a friend. Two or more people looks fine. One person, however, is often perceived in a negative way. There's some spots that I probably wouldn't be willing to fly at unless I had someone else with me.

This does give me an idea though. Maybe if I got a puppy to bring along with me when I flew. People would be like "Oh, he can't be a creep, look at that adorable puppy!" :D

Reactions: Sharvul
View attachment 41716

I'm referring to this:

View attachment 41717

I refer to another web-page that states: Part 107- Operating Rules

• Do not fly directly over people*
  • So indirect flying is permissible ?
No mention of "group"

While US law does not define a list of accepted nationwide community-based organizations (nor does the FAA since they have not been tasked to do so), here are some organizations that claim to be nationwide community-based organizations:

I refer to another web-page that states: Part 107- Operating Rules
There are many more rules you'll need to follow if flying under Part 107.

In California flying over a beach is perfectly acceptable, (ALL beaches are public, where you have NO right of privacy) As long as you follow the standard FAA drone rules of not flying directly over people. (stay out to the water or over the bluffs). As for the non-informed people who think you are creeping and spying, remind them that the cell phone they have in their pocket is much more capable of performing creepy actions. (seriously, has anyone EVER tried to sneak around with a buzzsaw of a drone? get real!) Beach photos and videos are some of the most awesome shots there are. In Lake Tahoe it is even encouraged! Just remember, State Parks & National Forests are OK, National Parks are not legal to BEGIN or END your flight from.

Reactions: conchman and bycla
Just got my first drone. Mavic air. Having a huge debate with my wife as she is convinced it it not appropriate to fly it over a populated beach. She thinks that people see it as an invasion of their privacy and that parents in particular are wary of drones taking pictures of their kids (for the record, I am a parent myself to 3 young children). I fly it along the coast of the island we are on for our holidays. I fly it 40 of 50 meters high. I Don't zoom, just filming the coast line on cinematic mode and testing the ability of the drone. I stay well away from people and make sure it's far and high enough not to be noticed of seen. What's your opinion about it? Okay to fly over a beach or only fly into the open blue waters for a very boring blue video?
Wow interesting but it is consider a treat if the country that you are in is not at peace at all consider the country as a factor that will totally affect the people around the beach they can't tell that it is a treat unless your country is peaceful. Go on mate just follow the rule of law and enjoy flying your drone;)

Last edited:
In general european rules are roughly 50m from people or buildings and 150m from crowds or build up areas (and no direct overhead allowed at all). Varies country by country but they're bringing in EU wide rules shortly based on similar to that.

Theres more to it than the "law" though. There's "being nice". Drones can be annoying, they're noisy, they do disturb people. Some people also dont like them. Ultimately if flying your drone is likely to annoy or disturb people, even if it IS legal you should probably not do it and fly higher or around.
A little of of responsibility goes a long way to pacifying people who might be hostile or at least neutral about them.
I agree. There is an obligation on all drone users to be responsible and considerate. When large groups of people complain about them, that is when they get banned by local governments from flying in certain areas. We have a couple of suburbs which include beaches where I live and as a result of complaints, they have banned drones from the entire area.

Thanks for those links. I had heard mention of the AMA and was considering looking them up.

Nosebump here. No, you can't legally fly over a congested beach. I'm an ATP pilot, and that same rule applies to us, with the exception of taking off or landing at an airport where the approach and departure corridor is part of the flight path. Did you ever notice that the tow planes that pull banners are well away from the beach? They're complying, but also making their banners more readable. -Can't fly over stadiums or sporting events either. Even airshow crowds!

This privacy thing really pizzes me off!
People are just using this drone issue as a trigger point to be an a$$.
4 days ago I was in my driveway with a a MP was about 20 feet up working on getting the thing to work.
I live on a sid street low traffic lots of folks walking.
I noticed a lady walking a dog just west of my drive. I have learned some dogs go nuts when they see / hear my drone so I landed it. When she reached the end of my drive she stopped and asked if that was a drone. I said yes picked it up and walked over to show it to her. She said she was going to get her grandson one but she didn't like the idea that he could take pictures with it. Does that have a comera? I said yes and showed it to her...she was creeped out like I was taking her picture with it close up.

We ended peacfully and she walked off . Now here is the problem......in my pocket was a cell phone with a photo camera, movie camera, and a voice recorder I am sure that would not have bothered her to know that I controlled that redording device.
In her hand was a smart phone with a photo & movie camera and a recording device. I wanted to bring that to her attention and ask her if her grandson had a smart phone with a camera etc. but I let the situation go.

This drone thing is a cultural transition. Until people get comfortable with them there will always be situations. I saw this cultural swing back a few years ago when cell phones exploded onto the streets like drone are exploding into the air. I had a police scanner (my son is a law officer) and would listen to him at work. With the dawn of the cell phone explosion EVERY jerk water with a new cell phone was dropping a dime to 911 for EVERY little thing they saw. Really stupid stuff like I just got cut off in traffic...I just saw a lady dragging a child by the hand crossing a street outside the crosswalk.....there is a strange looking man walking by my house......and on and on.

People just had to be junior G men ( G men is an old American term stands for Government men or law enforcement) and make issues with their new power and control.

If there was an auto accident the 911 center would get about 20 calls because EVERYBODY wanted into the game.
This drone thing is a rubber stamp situation, it is new people do not know how to handle it , it is going to be an educational curve and we are just going to have to be the educators.
Bottom line here is.....IGNORANCE CAN BE CURED....STUPID GOES ON FOREVER!
mikemoose55

Found this shot in my go4 app cache, basically edited it and uploaded to YouTube. It’s from my trip to the beach where I had several friends with me and they were pretty interested to see my Mavic fly. Sorry about the quality since it’s just a cache copy the original file has much better resolution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123