DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over cars

I used to work along highways with Caltrans, and although Ken had a nice start to the video, there were some definite safety issues. First off, where the heck was his safety vest and helmet? I didn’t see any blinkers on his parked car either, he should’ve had flashers and a beacon on top of it. OK, given all that, I would bet that he probably just flew without asking anybody for permission.

Anyways, if someone wants to do some filming next to highways, especially Federal Highways, they need to be sure to get approval from their highway department and wear a Class III safety vest (They are highly visible and have a lot of reflective material all around them). Come on people, think about your life first, not you stupid drone footage!

Last edited:
I used to work along highways with Caltrans, and although Ken had a nice start to the video, there were some definite safety issues. First off, where the heck was his safety vest and helmet? I didn’t see any blinkers on his parked car either, he should’ve had flashers and a beacon on top of it. OK, given all that, I would bet that he probably just flew without asking anybody for permission.

Anyways, if someone wants to do some filming next to highways, especially Federal Highways, they need to be sure to get approval from their highway department and wear a Class III safety vest (They are highly visible and have a lot of reflective material all around them). Come on people, think about your life first, not you stupid drone footage!

OK so there may be some questions to answer in regard to where the guy parked his car but I can't see where any FAA regulations were contravened. The O.P. has indicated that he is happy with the information provided in the video - continuing to discuss the non-flight related issues is straying off topic.

I recently got my first job opportunity as a drone pilot. The client is aking me to fly my drone and capture video footage of a bridge. This client is a transportation firm and participated in the design of the bridge. Can I fly over the bridge to get footage if there are cars on it? I know I can fly over stationary cars but what about moving. If flying over moving cars isn't allowed, can I get a waiver to do this? I am part 107 certified but have never come across an answer to this situation. I feel like there are lots of little situations that aren't specifically answered by the FAA. Any advice helps! Thanks!
Max
Fly from the side, not directly over the traffic.
If your client wants pictures of a particular shot, then have the client stop or redirect traffic

Reactions: AMann
OK so there may be some questions to answer in regard to where the guy parked his car but I can't see where any FAA regulations were contravened. The O.P. has indicated that he is happy with the information provided in the video - continuing to discuss the non-flight related issues is straying off topic.

Pete, take this constructively, I'm surprised on your stance on most of that flight video, straight up, but amidst vehicles below, and not far away either.
In the past I've noted your vigilance / past concerns of videos of people about flying over suburbs / houses, and I feel the Kens flight there had much more potential risk should his drone lose control in such a situation for whatever reason.

Anyway, I think the OP can easily film a bridge safely and get great footage for the client, and not necessarily from directly above over traffic.

Anyhow, avagoodweekend (have a good weekend).

It was not off topic, it was pointing out the safety aspects of implementing a flight near highways and vehicles such as on highway bridges. Had it been about flying over water and boating safety, it would have been off- topic.

Last edited:
I would suggest being aware of any distraction a drone that's VISIBLE to drivers might pose. "The How to drive over roads" video had some very appealing footage. But there were some clips where it seems that the drone could have been visible to drivers on ramps. Driving on a high speed ramp could be challenging enough for drivers used to open freeway driving. If a drone suddenly pops into view, a nervous driver could be startled. Put yourself in the position of a driver who might be inexperienced, fatigued, older, etc. It's not a stretch to imagine their being momentarily distracted -esp if they've never seen a drone. I wouldn't want to be responsible for causing an incident.
I would certainly be cautious about flying near moving traffic. Dawn on a Sunday morning could be a good time, but even then you could get a tired driver who could be distracted by a tiny flying object with flashing lights. I would evaluate the possibility of capturing some shots with a DSLR and a long lens. A drone assignment doesn't require that EVERY shot be from a drone. I actually prefer seeing some land based shots mixed with aerials. I'm not trying to discourage this project, just imagining how I would approach the job responsibly. Good luck with your assignment!

I am present fly next to a very busy road here in Indianapolis anywhere from 1-5 days a week, documenting a project (area) where a mall, gas station and warehouse is been built. also next to a private airport.

no issues at all. I have been doing this project for the last three months. it is estimated to last for about two years or sooner start to finish.

also I am doing another project here in (Indianapolis), next to another public airport, very busy road, where three warehouses are been built. no issues, also for the last three months.

both roads in the evening and early morning are very busy, when people are going to work and going home in the evening.

I see drones flying all the time here in Indiana by our INDOT and other agencies.

Just be smart when flying and safe.

Reactions: maxapeters
I am present fly next to a very busy road here in Indianapolis any from 1-5 days a, documenting a project (area) where a mall, gas station and warehouse is been built. also next to a private airport.

no issues at all. I have been doing this project for the last three months. it is estimated to last for about two years or sooner start to finish.

also I am doing another project here in (Indianapolis), next to another public airport, very busy road, where three warehouses are been built. no issues, also for the last three months.

both roads in the evening and early morning are very busy, when people are going to work and going home in the evening.

I seem drones flying all the time here in Indiana by our INDOT. Just be smart when flying and safe.

i did the same- underbridge inspections over a active railroad track. We had to get track safety training and clearance from Caltrans and Amtrack to do it.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Sure
I would suggest being aware of any distraction a drone that's VISIBLE to drivers might pose. "The How to drive over roads" video had some very appealing footage. But there were some clips where it seems that the drone could have been visible to drivers on ramps. Driving on a high speed ramp could be challenging enough for drivers used to open freeway driving. If a drone suddenly pops into view, a nervous driver could be startled. Put yourself in the position of a driver who might be inexperienced, fatigued, older, etc. It's not a stretch to imagine their being momentarily distracted -esp if they've never seen a drone. I wouldn't want to be responsible for causing an incident.
I would certainly be cautious about flying near moving traffic. Dawn on a Sunday morning could be a good time, but even then you could get a tired driver who could be distracted by a tiny flying object with flashing lights. I would evaluate the possibility of capturing some shots with a DSLR and a long lens. A drone assignment doesn't require that EVERY shot be from a drone. I actually prefer seeing some land based shots mixed with aerials. I'm not trying to discourage this project, just imagining how I would approach the job responsibly. Good luck with your assignment!

I appreciate the response. I have been hired to do strictly drone work. There is another photographer who will be capturing ground images. After talking with the client more, the bridge is extremely small. They say there won't be many cars at all. Obviously I will avoid cars, never fly over them, and maybe put up warning signs if the client wants. With that being said, it sounds like this project shouldn't be a huge problem. If another project comes up that requires flying close to highways, I now know what to do!

Reactions: AMann
Thanks for the responses everyone, I feel like I’ve put in a lot of review time but there is still a lot to learn so I appreciate the help.

There are plenty of angles I can shoot around the bridge, but it sounds like directly overhead or looking straight down the road should be avoided.

What are your opinions on flying over the bridge to shoot the other side? Should this be avoided as well? It is not a big bridge, only 2 lanes. Obviously I can land, walk to the other side and take off again, but it’d be a lot faster to just fly over the bridge to the other side. Because the bridge is so small, I assume it would be ok for me to cross when there are no cars below. I don’t think crossing an empty bridge would violate any regulations. Thoughts on this?

Good on you for looking at this project from a safe and legal perspective. I can’t offer insights to the US laws on the matter but if you document your effort to mitigate risks and lower the likelihood of an incident. You can prove if ever required, that your intentions were to conduct a safe and legal operation.

Good luck :)

I recently got my first job opportunity as a drone pilot. The client is aking me to fly my drone and capture video footage of a bridge. This client is a transportation firm and participated in the design of the bridge. Can I fly over the bridge to get footage if there are cars on it? I know I can fly over stationary cars but what about moving. If flying over moving cars isn't allowed, can I get a waiver to do this? I am part 107 certified but have never come across an answer to this situation. I feel like there are lots of little situations that aren't specifically answered by the FAA. Any advice helps! Thanks!
Max

There are a half dozen television commercials and any number of T.V. shows and feature films that show drone shots directly over traffic. SOMEONE is getting these waivers.

D

they need to be wearing a life vest too, in case it rains. Steel toe boots and a tooth guard are necessary, a cup and a safety whistle should also be present.

and though no regs call for it, in addition to getting approval from the state highway department they should get a notarized letter from the governor stating that he/she has no objections to the flight, and preferably have it witnessed by a congressman or two.

and safety cones. There should be lots of safety cones. If at all possible signs should be placed starting 10k away, spaced at 1.5km intervals warning other drivers of what’s ahead.

also, don’t forget the safety goggles, a car might pick up some debris. they should be 100% uv a and b resistant, but not polarized as this might make it more difficult to see the controller.

then call former Secretary Dole and let her know what you’ll be doing. While not EXACTLY required, she’ll appreciate you keeping her in the loop.

they need to be wearing a life vest too, in case it rains. Steel toe boots and a tooth guard are necessary, a cup and a safety whistle should also be present.

and though no regs call for it, in addition to getting approval from the state highway department they should get a notarized letter from the governor stating that he/she has no objections to the flight, and preferably have it witnessed by a congressman or two.

and safety cones. There should be lots of safety cones. If at all possible signs should be placed starting 10k away, spaced at 1.5km intervals warning other drivers of what’s ahead.

also, don’t forget the safety goggles, a car might pick up some debris. they should be 100% uv a and b resistant, but not polarized as this might make it more difficult to see the controller.

then call former Secretary Dole and let her know what you’ll be doing. While not EXACTLY required, she’ll appreciate you keeping her in the loop.
:rolleyes: We both forgot about a CHP lane closure, it would have been required for what he was doing also. Just saying from experience...want some more popcorn?;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dronerdave
This is a great question, because in real-world commercial flying, crossing roads happens a lot. I would use an on scene visual observer (or two) and handheld radios to communicate. When the road is reported as clear to fly across in all traffic directions, do so quickly with your camera pointed straight down to document you were clear when it happened. That way, you will not only BE safe, you will be able to PROVE you were safe (and legal!). I also screen record my flights - if law enforcement rolls up on me with a complaint, I can immediately show them I was legal. I notice Ken Heron appears to use goggles without having a VO around. I won't do that, even though bringing a VO along is a hassle. On real estate shoots, I make the realtor watch my UA while I'm flying on goggles. Ken Heron is entertaining, but I don't watch him for drone safety or legal advice any more than I would watch The Apprentice for business advice, or DWTS for dance training...

Thanks for the responses everyone, I feel like I’ve put in a lot of review time but there is still a lot to learn so I appreciate the help.

There are plenty of angles I can shoot around the bridge, but it sounds like directly overhead or looking straight down the road should be avoided.

What are your opinions on flying over the bridge to shoot the other side? Should this be avoided as well? It is not a big bridge, only 2 lanes. Obviously I can land, walk to the other side and take off again, but it’d be a lot faster to just fly over the bridge to the other side. Because the bridge is so small, I assume it would be ok for me to cross when there are no cars below. I don’t think crossing an empty bridge would violate any regulations. Thoughts on this?
Don’t want to seem harsh but . . .
How did you qualify to fly ‘professionaly’ if you don’t know either
a. the answer to what/when you can/cannot fly over or
b. where you ‘should’ be referring to for the answers?

People who have just bought their first drone ought to be able to ask you that question!
It makes a mockery of any so called qualifications!

IMHO

My question is. How did he legally get access to the central reservation on foot? We couldn't do that in the UK.

He was standing close by his car which was parked on the side of the freeway - not sure if that answers the question. Numerous posts on this thread have pointed out various aspects of Ken's adventure that are dubious in regard to legality. He insists that the flight itself was legal but apparently he should not have parked there and was not wearing a high-vis safety vest etc.

He was standing close by his car which was parked on the side of the freeway - not sure if that answers the question. Numerous posts on this thread have pointed out various aspects of Ken's adventure that are dubious in regard to legality. He insists that the flight itself was legal but apparently he should not have parked there and was not wearing a high-vis safety vest etc.
Yep. It's the same in the UK on Motorways. We can't stop on them or walk about on them. The fine for that would probably be taken more seriously than flying your drone illegally (other than at Airports).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569