DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over marshland

Koomie

Reactions
Hi all.

I recently took a some photos of the sun rising over local marshland. I checked my DJI map to make sure that there were no flight restrictions - none that I could see - and happily took my pics. A couple of days later I downloaded the B4UFLY app and lo-and-behold it showed the area to be protected with no drone flying allowed due to the need to protect the local wildlife (fair enough).

What does this mean?
A. I can’t launch my drone from the protected area and I can’t fly over the protected area.
B. I can launch the drone from an unprotected area and then I can fly over the protected area.
C. No matter where I launch my drone I cannot fly over the protected area.

I need to figure this out in as I do not want to break laws or regulations and also have the correct information in case I have drone interference from the public or law enforcement.

Thanks.

Kumar.

Reactions: Joey Yambor
Hi all.

I recently took a some photos of the sun rising over local marshland. I checked my DJI map to make sure that there were no flight restrictions - none that I could see - and happily took my pics. A couple of days later I downloaded the B4UFLY app and lo-and-behold it showed the area to be protected with no drone flying allowed due to the need to protect the local wildlife (fair enough).

What does this mean?
A. I can’t launch my drone from the protected area and I can’t fly over the protected area.
B. I can launch the drone from an unprotected area and then I can fly over the protected area.

I need to figure this out in as I do not want to break laws or regulations and also have the correct information in case I have drone interference from the public or law enforcement.

Thanks.

Kumar.

What is the specific location? It's difficult to offer comments without knowing. All three of your scenarios are possible, depending on the location.

Last edited:
I’m not sure of your local laws but here in MN we have wild life management areas and us drone pilots cannot fly over them. We also have nature reserves which we are not allowed to fly into. That means for me I cannot launch, land, or fly into those areas. Even though those areas are beautiful I do not want break the law and also disturb the wild life there. If I were you I would call your local land management office and ask them for clarification on the rules regarding drones launches and flight paths

Since, at a guess, the objective is to prevent overflights then my guess would be C. I don't see any point otherwise.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I saw another post recently that said you can fly into a United States National park but you can’t launch or land a drone from inside a national park. I wondered if the same applied here. By the way, I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have attached the warning notice from B4UFLY. Option 3 would be the common sense answer.

Attachments

• D655CD83-4BA3-4778-8980-38BB2BF3F78C.png
    D655CD83-4BA3-4778-8980-38BB2BF3F78C.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: Joey Yambor
There's nothing on the sectional charts about the reserve. and information from that state prohibits operations on reserve property, but doesn't mentioning overflying it after launching outside the boundary. B4YouFly says "Restricted" rather than "Prohibited," which has significance in FAA regulations. This might be a situation where you could make an argument for doing that, but is it worth the fuss and hassle? It's obvious that the state doesn't want drones over the protected areas, so I wouldn't even raise the issue myself. There are some interesting adjacent areas that are open for flying and still allow photographing part of the reserve.

And if someone really wanted to swat the hornets' nest, San Quentin State Prison is just across the water.

Thank
There's nothing on the sectional charts about the reserve. and information from that state prohibits operations on reserve property, but doesn't mentioning overflying it after launching outside the boundary. B4YouFly says "Restricted" rather than "Prohibited," which has significance in FAA regulations. This might be a situation where you could make an argument for doing that, but is it worth the fuss and hassle? It's obvious that the state doesn't want drones over the protected areas, so I wouldn't even raise the issue myself. There are some interesting adjacent areas that are open for flying and still allow photographing part of the reserve.

And if someone really wanted to swat the hornets' nest, San Quentin State Prison is just across the water.
Thanks. Useful information. As you mentioned I don’t want the hassle so I’ve been avoiding the restricted area but have been flying and taking pictures in the unrestricted area alongside. Got some nice pictures too.

Attachments

• 6249500E-8BB7-4A44-B249-4AFFB742BC25.jpeg
    6249500E-8BB7-4A44-B249-4AFFB742BC25.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: CaseyK and MS Coast
Hi all.

What does this mean?

Thanks.

Kumar.
It's only going to get worse and worse to have hardly anywhere you can fly because in my neighborhood the geofencing is just closing in more and more and more... On my property which is not even an acre quite I can't even take off from partial places on my own property, And it was never like that before...

Last edited:
Another issue you need to check. We have a preserve in my area. Flying over it is not the problem. The problem is there are protected bird nests in the preserve area (specifically Bald Eagles). There are big fines and/or jail time for flying near, disturbing, harassing or interacting in any way with Bald Eagles. Time of year there are Eaglets out and about. The parent's have no problem with attacking and crushing your drone to protect them. I know of one case in Utah where the mother destroyed a drone over a mile from the nest. You might check with the preserve, and if your state has one the bald eagle nest maps to see if there are any in your area.

It's only going to get worse and worse to have hardly anywhere you can fly because in my neighborhood the geofencing is just closing in more and more and more... On my property which is not even an acre quite I can't even take off from partial places on my own property, And it was never like that before...
Yes geo-fencing is a pain when it’s overly restrictive. However it was my friend when it stopped me flying accidentally near an airport (as a rookie drone pilot) and incurring a big fine. I learned alot that day!

Reactions: Ranger and MS Coast
Another issue you need to check. We have a preserve in my area. Flying over it is not the problem. The problem is there are protected bird nests in the preserve area (specifically Bald Eagles). There are big fines and/or jail time for flying near, disturbing, harassing or interacting in any way with Bald Eagles. Time of year there are Eaglets out and about. The parent's have no problem with attacking and crushing your drone to protect them. I know of one case in Utah where the mother destroyed a drone over a mile from the nest. You might check with the preserve, and if your state has one the bald eagle nest maps to see if there are any in your area.
Wow yes. Another thing to consider especially when in the mountains. Recently I was legally flying drones in the Sierras wondering what dangers lie in wait from animals. Luckily no issues but I’ll keep eagles in mind for next time.

Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy
Wow yes. Another thing to consider especially when in the mountains. Recently I was legally flying drones in the Sierras wondering what dangers lie in wait from animals. Luckily no issues but I’ll keep eagles in mind for next time.
You were legally flying drones in the Sierras, what does that even mean? o_O

Ha ha yes. I meant I paid attention to where I could and couldn’t fly - there are wildlife and airport restrictions in the area. I got LAANC permission to fly near the airport and avoided the wildlife area altogether. I found a nice spot near the Truckee River and spent an hour taking pictures. Got some nice ones too.

Attachments

• 05495CF3-7010-4A06-B0CE-7CDD394C89D5.jpeg
    05495CF3-7010-4A06-B0CE-7CDD394C89D5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member