DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over solar farms

Cgbass439

Reactions
Thinking of making video of old airport that's now a solar farm. Just wonder if shiny panels can affect vision sensors. Thanks for any info on this.

They should not affect your sensors unless you plan on flying a few feet (i.e. less than 6 feet) above them.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Solar farms should work by absorbing as much solar energy as possible and not reflecting light energy. But I’ll follow for clarification by someone who has done it

Thinking of making video of old airport that's now a solar farm. Just wonder if shiny panels can affect vision sensors. Thanks for any info on this.
In florida that would not be permitted - critical infrastructure. You should chech your state laws.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
If you care you can read the drone laws for you state here:
Go the the map an click on your state.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
They should not affect your sensors unless you plan on flying a few feet (i.e. less than 6 feet) above them.
Solar panels at a vacant parking lot (car park) have been some of my favorite fly-over subjects. The view from altitude that captures a large swath of solar arrays looks great to me. But the rare instance low altitude pass makes for good footage too.

Last edited:
I have done it and had no issues whatsoever
Derlisz;

That was certainly the most pleasing video on the forum today, if not for the entire week!!!! Bravo! Great flying, perfectly timed clips, great timing of the music track with the scene changes, nice scenery, great variety, and your patterns on the solar panels were beautiful. The music track was perfect. Great editing. A good job over all.

Dale
Miami Fl

Reactions: pelagic_one

Derlisz;

That was certainly the most pleasing video on the forum today, if not for the entire week!!!! Bravo! Great flying, perfectly timed clips, great timing of the music track with the scene changes, nice scenery, great variety, and your patterns on the solar panels were beautiful. The music track was perfect. Great editing. A good job over all.

Dale
Miami Fl

Oh. Thanks a lot. It's was actually more of video quality comparison between two drones. This one was shot with Mavic 2 Pro in HLG HDR mode. In the description if the video there is a link to a twin video made by the Mavic Air 2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's just a proof that beauty is all around us :)

Shouldn't effect it if you are high enough. Certain solar farms already use drones to check panels. But like what was mentioned above, I would check with your state laws and make sure you can fly in that space.

Oh. Thanks a lot. It's was actually more of video quality comparison between two drones. This one was shot with Mavic 2 Pro in HLG HDR mode. In the description if the video there is a link to a twin video made by the Mavic Air 2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's just a proof that beauty is all around us :)

Seconded, zenned me out nice, exactly my style and then you added some function lol.

In florida that would not be permitted - critical infrastructure. You should chech your state laws.
That is funny that someone considers solar panels critical infrastructure, for 3.5 hours a day of max generation, and 12 plus hours a day of no generation.

By the way, make sure it is not this type of solar plant(Mirrors)......It will cook your little drone just like all the birds it kills everyday. Solana Solar Power Generating Station, Arizona, US - Power Technology | Energy News and Market Analysis

Last edited:
That is funny that someone considers solar panels critical infrastructure, for 3.5 hours a day of max generation, and 12 plus hours a day of no generation.

By the way, make sure it is not this type of solar plant(Mirrors)......It will cook your little drone just like all the birds it kills everyday. Solana Solar Power Generating Station, Arizona, US - Power Technology | Energy News and Market Analysis
Fpl has currently 1.2 GW And plans to triple that soon.
In Florida they run more than three hours a day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf