DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over the cliff

Mavic-Max

Reactions
Hi folks. Over the next couple of days I’m taking my MA down to the south coast of England where I will be visiting the Jurassic coast. These white cliffs range 50 m to 190 m above the sea. I will be standing and taking off from the top of these cliffs. I have concerns with the RTH point if I’m fly below the take off point and will the quick shots work if I’m flying say 3m above land then pass over the edge of the cliff and the drones height suddenly becomes 50 m above ground/ water. I’ve had the MA since Christmas read you posts. Watched you tube. Practiced at weekends. Fitted Polar Pro filters. Ready to rock and roll. Any comments greatly appreciated

if I’m fly below the take off point and will the quick shots work if I’m flying say 3m above land then pass over the edge of the cliff and the drones height suddenly becomes 50 m above ground/ water
Your drone would have no idea it's 50 metres above the ground. (How could it?)
It only knows its height relative to the launch point.

Once you fly out over the cliff, and descend - your Drone will start to show 'negative' altitude. So if you engage RTH, it will ascend to the pre-set RTH height above your take-off point. i.e. RTH set to 50 metres, you descend to -100 metres then select RTH - Drone rises 150 metres from that position and then goes through RTH process ... (unless the drone is within 20 metres of the home point, then it will rise 110 metres before returning).

Reactions: dawgpilot
unless the drone is within 20 metres of the home point, then it will rise 110 metres before returning
Why would it ascend to 110 meters?

One thing about RTH that I've noticed (I'm pretty new myself) is that if you're flying ABOVE the RTH height and RTH gets engaged, the drone will NOT descend to the RTH height, but rather it will come home at that higher height. Sorry if everyone knows this, but it was news to me!

Not "to" 110 metres, it would rise by 110 metres to get to 10m above takeoff height from its current position of -100m
I think you mean rise to 2.5 meters above the takeoff height, right?

Per the Mavic Air manual:

1550066729633.png

One thing about RTH that I've noticed (I'm pretty new myself) is that if you're flying ABOVE the RTH height and RTH gets engaged, the drone will NOT descend to the RTH height, but rather it will come home at that higher height.
Right on! DJI drones never descend before flying home.

Height is relative to the takeoff point, so it will go negative when you fly below the cliff.

I have flown my MA below huge cliffs many times without issue. Another thing to keep in mind is that you want the flat part of the (parallel) antennae pointing towards the aircraft at all times, which means straight out horizontal if you are flying below yourself.

just one word of caution make sure that where you decide to fly is not national trust land they have very strict rules on drones just check first

Thanks all very much. Any idea what would happen when in quick shots. Am I correct in thinking it uses its sensors to determine its route. If part of its route is over water and part say over land 20m above sea level. How would it cope.

Height is relative to the takeoff point, so it will go negative when you fly below the cliff.

I have flown my MA below huge cliffs many times without issue. Another thing to keep in mind is that you want the flat part of the (parallel) antennae pointing towards the aircraft at all times, which means straight out horizontal if you are flying below yourself.

Hi CanadaDrone. Thanks for your response. I never thought about the angle of the antennas. I probably won’t fly too low when I fly over the water but I’ll take onboard your wise words.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Your drone would have no idea it's 50 metres above the ground. (How could it?)
It only knows its height relative to the launch point.

Hi Mata4. I thought it maybe knew it’s height from the gps/ satellite but you say it’s from the controller which makes sense.

Once you fly out over the cliff, and descend - your Drone will start to show 'negative' altitude. So if you engage RTH, it will ascend to the pre-set RTH height above your take-off point. i.e. RTH set to 50 metres, you descend to -100 metres then select RTH - Drone rises 150 metres from that position and then goes through RTH process ... (unless the drone is within 20 metres of the home point, then it will rise 110 metres before returning).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi FochallGH. Thanks for your thoughts

just one word of caution make sure that where you decide to fly is not national trust land they have very strict rules on drones just check first

Hi. Thanks for your thoughts. I guess “ NO DRONE FLYING” signs will be around if its National Trust. I’m hoping this time of the year it will be quiet and I’ll be there early.

Thanks all very much. Any idea what would happen when in quick shots. Am I correct in thinking it uses its sensors to determine its route. If part of its route is over water and part say over land 20m above sea level. How would it cope.
Your drone is a creature of the air like a bird or a plane.
What's below it is of no concern.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Hi Mata4. I thought it maybe knew it’s height from the gps/ satellite but you say it’s from the controller which makes sense.
Caution there @Mavic-Max ... It's not measuring height from the controller - but from it's take off point i.e. where it is sitting on the ground when you press the start button. GPS location will take place, as well as barometric measurement to set a 'zero altitude' ... That's why it's a good idea to leave the Mavic on the ground'till you hear the controller message about your GPS position being updated - then do your take-off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkff