DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over the ocean? Tips?

Right, a little common sense is in order[emoji4]

Although this is the PNW offshore, so actually we are talking 4-10ft, that’s as flat as it gets [emoji4]

I’ll start off inshore though[emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member

Although this is the PNW offshore, so actually we are talking 4-10ft, that’s as flat as it gets [emoji4]

Even a 1' swell will move you enough to make the bird uneasy. Make sure to turn off your sensors.

Flying over water is a sinch, even hand catching from a boat. It's all in your head to think otherwise, have confidence in your AC and your flight abilities and you'll have no problem. Get on the horse Tonto!

Do you shut off the vision assist?
Have you ever experienced erratic behavior in what model drone?

I'm one of the idiots who have lost a drone at sea - my own fault as I'd forgotten to take off my radio antenna and then I couldn't get the drone into tri-pod mode for more control. I may try again but wondering if anyone has tried catching the drone with a flat (horizontal) net on a pole? I haven't tried manual catching yet. Seems like that might be dodgy on a rocking boat as well.

The predecessor to scaneagle was a commercial fishing drone that was caught in a net upon returning. So you are not completely crazy:)

I’d be worried about the ptz gimbal on my mavic though.

Video of the hand catch please. TIA!

With blood or no blood?
The suspense is already killing me. 10' swells, it's a cinch...
I have caught in 2' swells and the 1st time was a bit nerve wracking, and I always hand catch. Besides the up and down you have the side to side to play with.

You will need to hand launch/land. When you start the motors the MP considers itself to be flying. If it is stationary (i.e. on the ground) the motors do not spin up past an idle because they don't need to spin faster to maintain its position. As soon as it drops a little (as with a swell) it will detect the change and rev up the props to compensate. You can test this with a stationary hand launch. Start the props with the sticks and hold it steady and the props will just idle. Drop it quickly just a couple inches and they spin up. As for catching on a rolling boat, I would start by the catcher wearing gloves and bringing it in backwards so your Mavic matches your stick movements.

There are a lot of boat/drone videos on YT, both successful and not so you might try studying those. I notice the majority of successful ones are with some pretty calm water. I have posted the following video a couple times because it seems like a plausible way to retrieve on a pitching deck but have not tried it myself. Has anyone tried this?

Nice video. At 2m42s it looks like a combination of flying a kite and catching a shark. The drone almost went in to the water.

A few things I noticed.
  1. The boat was in gear and moving forward. Not much of a wake, but still moving.
  2. At takeoff, the drone was oriented towards the pilot. Better to keep the rear of the drone pointed toward you.
  3. As soon as the drone had enough lift to take off, it was aft of the boat 50 feet in around 3 seconds. It was still oriented forward towards the pilot.
  4. The pilots left finger was on the collective but his right finger was off the cyclic.
  5. Drones dont need headwinds to take off because they are rotary wing instead of fixed wing, and a headwind can even be detrimental.
To me, this would be terrifying.

Reactions: DurbanCraig
[QUOTE=" I notice the majority of successful ones are with some pretty calm water. [/QUOTE]
Correct, calm water is the key. If it's 2ft offshore it's easy, (20' or less of a boat) (Not much wind at all) Once you get above that it's gets challenging. The kings that have 24 + they have plenty of room to launch. If I got to get my boat out and show ya how I just do that :), but it's Monday, might need to wait till the weekend. :)

Nice video. At 2m42s it looks like a combination of flying a kite and catching a shark. The drone almost went in to the water.

A few things I noticed.
  1. The boat was in gear and moving forward. Not much of a wake, but still moving.
  2. At takeoff, the drone was oriented towards the pilot. Better to keep the rear of the drone pointed toward you.
  3. As soon as the drone had enough lift to take off, it was aft of the boat 50 feet in around 3 seconds. It was still oriented forward towards the pilot.
  4. The pilots left finger was on the collective but his right finger was off the cyclic.
  5. Drones dont need headwinds to take off because they are rotary wing instead of fixed wing, and a headwind can even be detrimental.
To me, this would be terrifying.

That was a sailboat, whole different level of HARD compared to a power boat that can essentially just stop and float. If your filming a sailboat underway then there really is no option to stop it easily within the amount of battery time. (no to mention all the crazy aerial hazards of ropes and masts)

27’ still waiting for it to stop raining , ha ha

I’ll post the results when I get out:)

27’ still waiting for it to stop raining , ha ha

I’ll post the results when I get out:)
Easy as pie. Stop the boat, hand launch and off you go. 27' you'll have no issues, unless you're in the North Sea, which to some here IS THE OCEAN everywhere! When Cobia are running here at the Port and Sebastian Inlet, it's easy sighting them. Oooo here's something for those worm eaters. Ya know, open a can of worms....get it? If I "spotted" a fish with a UAV and sold that fish....does that person need a 107?

Keep in mind that the wind (aside from waves) can make hand catching difficult- not because of the wind effect on the drone, the drones stays in one place via GPS, but the wind will likely be moving you and your boat... There are good tips above- back it in for sure.... Also, at takeoff: if the boat is moving the drone will be trying to hold location- so it may fight you a bit if you hold on.

Reactions: HappyHours

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji