DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over the Shanghai Tower - 1000m Altitude! with a Mavic Air

Let’s get real here. And this is just a list of Commercial Aircraft Deaths in 2019.

January 14 – 2019 Saha Airlines Boeing 707 crash, a Boeing 707-3J9C overshoots the runway on landing by mistake at Fath Air Base, Iran, killing 15 of 16 people on board.

February 23 – Atlas Air Flight 3591, a Boeing 767-375(ER)(BCF) crashes into Trinity Bay on approach into George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas, killing both crew members and the single passenger.

February 24 – Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 147, a Boeing 737-800, undergoes an attempted hijacking. All passengers are safely evacuated upon landing at Shah Amanat International Airport in Chittagong and the would-be hijacker is shot dead by Bangladeshi special forces.

March 9 – 2019 Colombia DC-3 crash, a Douglas DC-3, operated by Laser Aéreo, crashes while attempting to land at La Vanguardia Airport, Villavicencio, Colombia. All 11 passengers and 3 crew are killed.

March 10 – Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, a Boeing 737 MAX 8, crashes near Bishoftu, Ethiopia six minutes after taking off from Bole International Airport. All 149 passengers and 8 crew are killed.

May 3 – Miami Air Flight 293, a Boeing 737-81Q overruns the runway on landing at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida, United States. All 143 passengers and crew survive.

May 5 – Aeroflot Flight 1492, a Sukhoi Superjet 100 suffers an inflight emergency on a flight from Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow to Murmansk Airport, Russia. The aircraft returns to Sheremetyevo Airport where it burns out after landing. 41 of the 78 people on board die.

May 8 – Biman Bangladesh Airlines Flight 60, a Bombardier Q400, overruns the runway in bad weather at Yangon International Airport, Myanmar, injuring 18 of the 33 people on board.

May 13 – In the 2019 George Inlet, Alaska mid-air collision, a Taquan Air de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Turbine Otter floatplane collides with a Mountain Air Service de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver over George Inlet, Alaska, United States, with the loss of 1 passenger aboard the DHC-3 and 5 passengers and crew aboard the DHC-2.

June 27 – Angara Airlines Flight 200, an Antonov An-24, suffers an engine failure on takeoff during a domestic flight from Nizhneangarsk Airport to Ulan-Ude Airport, Russia. The aircraft returns to Nizhneangarsk, runs off the runway and collides with a building. All 43 passengers and two of the four crew survive.
So your response to a perfect example of ignorance meeting stupidity is an effort to trivialise the potential risks?

You are missing the main issue totally- any support we give these donkeys can only hurt the future of the hobby.

Well after looking through our new Canadian regulations, maybe this flight is not too illegal. The new reg allow the kind of flight outlined in the graphic below. So I guess you could fly up the side of the CN tower in Toronto to 100 feet above the top of the antenna. Would have to land on the top of the observation deck to get above 500m though.
The Shanghai Tower (that's the round one, not the one he landed on) tops out at 632m or 2073ft and he did top this by more than 100ft therefore illegal. Should have quit at 662m.
View attachment 78422
That is similar to the US as AGL is a 400' radius and and 400' above the object on the ground.

Reactions: Hummingbird.UAV
People mad here, not because he flew this high up but because he could cause even more regulation to their favorite hobby.

I think the topic is about the safety of the drone flight? I’m not sure what the topic is here, I just like to try to remind people that are stuck on the safety issue about drone flights like this that the average car drive is much less safe than the average drone flight. I think people make comments about the danger and thoughtlessness of this flight because they have totally lost touch with how dangerous it is for them to be in control of 4000 pounds of steel at 65mph.
Surely it is more important to drive safe than drone safe?

The only problem with that view is that more restrictive laws will be enacted. We already have many laws with regard to driving a motor vehicle e.g you must be licensed, varying speed limits, give way rules etc, and we will get many more as regard to drones as people flaunt the ones we already have.

I’m not trying to make a case for irresponsible droning. Not in the least. I am a proponent of smart drone regulations for sure.
I’m saying that it seems crazy to me for people to worry about drone safety, at this point. This incident is so blasé compared to the crazy **** that will be going down in upcoming years. People will be charging money live streaming their crazy, dangerous stunts. People will be charging money to specifically do crazy terrible stuff anonymously for other people. Truly that will happen if it’s not already happening. It’s going to get strange and regulations will probably tighten like crazy, but surely not over something as normal as flying high over people last heads. There are literally thousands of recreational drones flying over people’s head right now.
People should be much much more concerned with their own extraordinarily dangerous driving than a drone over peoples head.
There will be groups of people doing drone racing through tall buildings of cities right over people’s heads. Like not licensed drone racing events, more like impromptu drone freaks having fun cause they can.

I'll stand under a UAV 10" or 1000' and feel perfectly confident! Boarding a Commercial Aircraft not so much, the hairs on the back of the neck get a'little itchy. My point was, the "odds" are, that flight was just fine.
It could have tumbled off that building and killed somebody

Reactions: Thomas B
I’m not trying to make a case for irresponsible droning. Not in the least. I am a proponent of smart drone regulations for sure.
I’m saying that it seems crazy to me for people to worry about drone safety, at this point. This incident is so blasé compared to the crazy **** that will be going down in upcoming years. People will be charging money live streaming their crazy, dangerous stunts. People will be charging money to specifically do crazy terrible stuff anonymously for other people. Truly that will happen if it’s not already happening. It’s going to get strange and regulations will probably tighten like crazy, but surely not over something as normal as flying high over people last heads. There are literally thousands of recreational drones flying over people’s head right now.
People should be much much more concerned with their own extraordinarily dangerous driving than a drone over peoples head.
There will be groups of people doing drone racing through tall buildings of cities right over people’s heads. Like not licensed drone racing events, more like impromptu drone freaks having fun cause they can.
It is the ignorant, those who believe they are beyond the rules and those who don’t care about the wellbeing of others or consequences who are the biggest problem on the roads- that is the only relevance you might argue applies with your comparison to sUAV operation.

Your suggestion we shouldn’t concern ourselves with the type of operation depicted by the OP for the reasons you stated is silly. It’s like saying it’s that to disregard stop signs or speed limits is ok as long as your the only one doing it.

It is the ignorant, those who believe they are beyond the rules and those who don’t care about the wellbeing of others or consequences who are the biggest problem on the roads- that is the only relevance you might argue applies with your comparison to sUAV operation.

Your suggestion we shouldn’t concern ourselves with the type of operation depicted by the OP for the reasons you stated is silly. It’s like saying it’s that to disregard stop signs or speed limits is ok as long as your the only one doing it.

We should be concerned as to what type of regulations are in our near future because of how dangerous droning is going to soon get what with so little regulation as it is. I just don’t understand how people are concerned about general safety when see this. Just walking down a city street is far riskier than worrying about a drone falling out of the sky and hitting you. That’s all I’m trying to get across, not that I advocate flying recklessly, i definitely don’t.

And it is not just a small portion of drivers who drive bad, the vast majority of drivers could be doing better and choose not to... that is a huge deal. The vast majority of drivers are not getting better and better as they spend more time on the road. That is a huge deal when we are talking about the most dangerous activity all is humans partake in right next to each other.

We should be concerned as to what type of regulations are in our near future because of how dangerous droning is going to soon get what with so little regulation as it is. I just don’t understand how people are concerned about general safety when see this. Just walking down a city street is far riskier than worrying about a drone falling out of the sky and hitting you. That’s all I’m trying to get across, not that I advocate flying recklessly, i definitely don’t.

And it is not just a small portion of drivers who drive bad, the vast majority of drivers could be doing better and choose not to... that is a huge deal. The vast majority of drivers are not getting better and better as they spend more time on the road. That is a huge deal when we are talking about the most dangerous activity all is humans partake in right next to each other.
We should expect the combined resources of regulators and sUAV manufacturers will see features introduced that help to improve safety.

I will leave it to the good sense of other members and guests here to form their own view as to the merits of your arguments. I can’t see anything new you have added that might aid to reveal the relevance or reasonableness of the comparisons you are making. I could be missing the point though.

One incident where a drone causes injury that might be avoided is one to many.

Yes I think your missing my point but my point is slightly off target to the general discussion, however valid. I was speaking more to the few people who are outraged at this droner. Specifically to the person who said they wished they were rich so they can track they guy down to prosecute.... just seems ludicrous to be that out of touch with one’s own danger as a driver.
Yes, one drone injury is unfortunate and almost always unnecessary. (But let’s be smart about how to regulate such a crazy new activity and not be so restrictive attempting to ensure no injury ever occurs...)
Fly happy, drive safe.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
The person certainly exceeded the limits but even if It hit a building and fell the chances of it falling on somebody and killing them are virtually nothing. There has never been a case that I know of where a drone, excluding military, has fell out of the sky and killed somebody.
Your chances of getting hit by lightning are better. Your chances of getting hit AND KILLED by a car, are much greater even if they are following the speed limit, or crashing in a Plane.

Yeah.... naahhh.

The shitstorm is not mainly about the height he flew to. Yes he went way over the 400ft AGL limit applicable to non-operators, but I'm thinking that the risk of a plane flying there at the same height is pretty low.

So, not condoning breaching the AGL, limit but my main concern is total disregard for safety regulations. Look through any country's codes, and you will find Reckless operation of aircraft somewhere. They are there for a good reason.

Reactions: Twocalf
A lot of "red herrings" are thrown in here. The point is simple, what he did is stupid and reckless, he broke the law. Full stop. Don't try and justify his irresponsible actions with irrelevant references to automobile safety. It HAS NO RELEVANCE HERE!

A lot of "red herrings" are thrown in here. The point is simple, what he did is stupid and reckless, he broke the law. Full stop. Don't try and justify his irresponsible actions with irrelevant references to automobile safety. It HAS NO RELEVANCE HERE!

No justification for his actions are given, I don’t think I tried to justify anything anyway. Maybe it sounds like it because I talk about the danger of driving but I’m not saying that because driving is dangerous that it doesn’t matter if someone drones dangerously. I’m saying it seems irresponsible to complain about the safety of a droner when one’s own driving is so much more dangerous.
How incredibly selfish to drive in a way that endangers people’s lives all day, all life, and then have the gall to tell someone else to drone safe... huh?
Look, if you want everyone to drone safe so that regulations and laws are not needlessly restrictive, I agree wholeheartedly. It’s not going to happen but I agree that would be nice. But let’s be honest, this type of flight will be happening all day long by droners, everyday, in a few years time, and that is regardless of how restrictive laws become, this type of flight will be normal.
There is no justification happening here by the way. I’m only speaking to the lunacy of pointing out that this is unsafe when it is actually unbelievably safe compared to one’s daily car pointing. The majority of people point their car and they don’t drive and yes it seems to have no relevance but in fact, in my mind at least, it does. If driving is simply the most dangerous activity that humans engage in, and your not actively trying to be better and better, than talking about safety about anything at all is ridiculous.
Someone is going to risk your life texting while driving and then tell you to drone how they want??? Am I wrong here or doesn’t that seem crazy to you that someone would endanger your life and then tell you how to drone?
I admitted already that certainly a heavyish drone falling from that high up could easily kill someone but all of us are much much more likely to hurt or kill a small child driving “safely” than we are to hurt or kill with our drone.
That’s gotta be worth something ina conversation about drone safety.
Or maybe I’m wrong I don’t know... just seems crazy to me that we all drive how we do and then be horrified that we are not all more safe around each other with dogs off leash or droning high up or whatever other little consequential thing we happen to want to control at that moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryce steiner
Sorry about my diatribes everyone. I just have a big problem with the safety of driving and I tend to extend that thought out farther than it needs to go.

I’m saying it seems irresponsible to complain about the safety of a droner when one’s own driving is so much more dangerous.
Lets assume you might know anything about the driving style of the persons stating various objections to the subject drone flight. It would make no difference to the ridiculousness of your comparison- that is the legality and safety of the drone operation subject of the discussion would still stand on its own merits with the validity of any observations made with respect to it being the same regardless of whether the person holding the view drove like Miss Daisy or was Captain Road Rage.

Lets assume you might know anything about the driving style of the persons stating various objections to the subject drone flight. It would make no difference to the ridiculousness of your comparison- that is the legality and safety of the drone operation subject of the discussion would still stand on its own merits with the validity of any observations made with respect to it being the same regardless of whether the person holding the view drove like Miss Daisy or was Captain Road Rage.

I’m confused but maybe we can play out a hypothetical scenario to see if we understand each other:
You and I have agreed to meet somewhere to drone together. On the way there you pass me in your car, you don’t notice it is me because you are looking at your screen. You start to drift out of your lane and almost force me into oncoming traffic.
Soon we get to were we are going to drone together and you want to show me the video you were watching while driving and then proceed to tell me to make sure to obey the law, drone safely and do not put you or others in danger.

(This is a very specific example, worst case scenario in a sense, but I think I can extend it out and say that we all, me absolutely included, drive in a way that endangers the lives of others just because of the basic fact that we are not actively trying to get better and safer at driving so that, you know, we make sure we don’t kill someone answering a call, and then we get mad when we feel others have impinged upon our own rights, even if highly inconsequential to the actual safety of others...)

Last edited:
I’m confused but maybe we can play out a hypothetical scenario to see if we understand each other:
You and I have agreed to meet somewhere to drone together. On the way there you pass me in your car, you don’t notice it is me because you are looking at your screen. You start to drift out of your lane and almost force me into oncoming traffic.
Soon we get to were we are going to drone together and you want to show me the video you were watching while driving and then proceed to tell me to make sure to obey the law, drone safely and do not put you or others in danger.

(This is a very specific example, worst case scenario in a sense, but I think I can extend it out and say that we all, me absolutely included, drive in a way that endangers the lives of others just because of the basic fact that we are not actively trying to get better and safer at driving so that, you know, we make sure we don’t kill others so that we can answer a call, and then we get mad when we feel others have impinged upon our own rights, even if highly inconsequential to the actual safety of others...)
Assume you might be flying recklessly and potentially endangering others- might that prevent you from having and perhaps expressing an opinion on my bad driving? That is a rhetorical question. The answer is, or at least should be, obvious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929