DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying recreational

Rchawks

Reactions
Any drone 250 g and above requires a part 107 certification when flying for fun, is this correct? Sorry to ask a obvious question of all of you but on my lunch hr and was wondering about an upgrade.

Reactions: Gindra and Bobvt
Side Note:
Any drone (regardless of weight) flown under Part 107 or a Public Use COA also requires registration. This may be outside of @Rchawks original question but it's important to note.

So if I am flying solely for recreational use I do not need any sort of certification or license?
If you fly only for recreation, you must register with the FAA as a rec pilot (for 5 bucks) and that number goes on all aircraft that weigh between .5 and 55 pounds. But if you have passed the 107 test, you must register the aircraft and obtain a specific number for that particular aircraft any time you use it for commercial work. You can still fly for recreational purposes using that 107 number though. In fact a single flight can be in part for recreation and also commercial purposes. I only fly rec so all my aircraft have the same (rec) number on those over .5 lbs

If you fly only for recreation, you must register with the FAA as a rec pilot (for 5 bucks) and that number goes on all aircraft that weigh between .5 and 55 pounds. But if you have passed the 107 test, you must register the aircraft and obtain a specific number for that particular aircraft any time you use it for commercial work. You can still fly for recreational purposes using that 107 number though. In fact a single flight can be in part for recreation and also commercial purposes. I only fly rec so all my aircraft have the same (rec) number on those over .5 lbs
The 107 test is only required if I want to fly for commercial and payed purposes correct?

The 107 test is only required if I want to fly for commercial and payed purposes correct?
Yes at this time there is no test for rec fliers just a 5 dollar fee. If you plan to fly for a commercial purpose, you need to take a technical test and pay to do it.

Not quite. Part 107 is required for non-recreational - it doesn't matter whether you get paid or not.

Currently the Part #107 test is $150. and is good for 3 yrs and each retake the same fee applies?

2 years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu