DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying sport mode for distance

Riptyd64

Reactions
I want to fly my Magic Pro on a dangerous mission. 1.5 miles over water and back. As far as battery life, what will last longer? Sport Mode, fly fast get pictures fly fast home. Or regular mode cruise out less time for pictures cruise back? Is there any other concerns?

If you want the most distance covered using the least battery, you would need to fly in p-mode with obstacle avoidance off. It goes about 30mph in this mode. It should only take about 3 mins to fly there if there is no wind, longer if you're flying against the wind. You should get around 20 minutes flight time You should have no problem doing this. Just make sure you account for headwind coming back. Maybe use a battery and be conservative and see how much battery you use that run. Keep in mind in this mode, your mavic won't use its sensors, so it won't have dummy protection.

I want to fly my Magic Pro on a dangerous mission. 1.5 miles over water and back. As far as battery life, what will last longer? Sport Mode, fly fast get pictures fly fast home. Or regular mode cruise out less time for pictures cruise back? Is there any other concerns?
your first post about flying dangerous mission over water .. the next post should be fun ..

dude not being rude but I hope you know what your doing man and by the question alone I doubt it a little.. your call pal

your first post about flying dangerous mission over water .. the next post should be fun ..

dude not being rude but I hope you know what your doing man and by the question alone I doubt it a little.. your call pal
Thanks for your concern pal. I have plenty of flight time. I was asking for more detailed info about battery consumption between sport and regular mode. The flight round trip will be approx 15840ft. Round trip. I have several flights in excess of 26000 feet. My typical battery life is around 23 minutes with a max flight of 27 minutes. I know the drone will make the flight and back, just looking for input flying in a mode that I don't use often. The only reason I said dangerous is that if I have any problems, the entire flight is over open ocean and recovery would be impossible. I have had many shorter flights over water.

Thanks for your concern pal. I have plenty of flight time. I was asking for more detailed info about battery consumption between sport and regular mode. The flight round trip will be approx 15840ft. Round trip. I have several flights in excess of 26000 feet. My typical battery life is around 23 minutes with a max flight of 27 minutes. I know the drone will make the flight and back, just looking for input flying in a mode that I don't use often. The only reason I said dangerous is that if I have any problems, the entire flight is over open ocean and recovery would be impossible. I have had many shorter flights over water.

I wonder that too. I’m about do the same but my distance is about 5k one way to the island and back 10k total. In sport mode all sensor is off and you can fly faster so you do it faster but still I’m not sure in sport mode or normal

I fly a lot off of a mountain top and go mile and half easy and back. As stated earlier the biggest think will be wind.

1.5 miles out over water shouldn't be an issue. I would agree that P-mode with sensors off will do the best for efficiency. However, if heading into a wind (either out or back) and you're not making much headway, switching to sports mode will be far more efficient than "spinning your wheels" (so to speak) in P-mode.

I've done more distance than that out over water with very little issue (including a couple of photographic spins around a remote island) with a MP (not MPP).

I don't trust the battery level indicator when flying in sport mode as it can drop very fast. Go out in p-mode and return back in sport.

Reactions: Marc0419

Based on nominal Mavic Pro specifications it's possible to estimate relative distance traveled on a fixed energy source (battery) as a function of pitch angle. That leads to the following relationship:

thrust_pitch_02.png

which suggests that a pitch of 30 - 35° is optimum for distance. That would be close to top speed in regular P-GPS mode.

Reactions: Derek_M and JMF
Based on nominal Mavic Pro specifications it's possible to estimate relative distance traveled on a fixed energy source (battery) as a function of pitch angle. That leads to the following relationship:

View attachment 38160

which suggests that a pitch of 30 - 35° is optimum for distance. That would be close to top speed in regular P-GPS mode.
That's interesting. My tests pretty much mirrored that graph. What specs are you referring to? I haven't seen anything on the specs that you could glean that type of information from. Share please.

That's interesting. My tests pretty much mirrored that graph. What specs are you referring to? I haven't seen anything on the specs that you could glean that type of information from. Share please.

I explained the basis for the calculation in this post:

I thought I had plenty of reserve to return...and the forced landing warning was inducing panic

The extension to distance as a function of pitch angle is derived from the inverse of the power function (since the battery is nominally fixed energy) and the assumption that airspeed = groundspeed. Obviously with a headwind/tailwind the calculation changes since distance becomes the simple integral of airspeed with respect to time.

I explained the basis for the calculation in this post:

I thought I had plenty of reserve to return...and the forced landing warning was inducing panic

The extension to distance as a function of pitch angle is derived from the inverse of the power function (since the battery is nominally fixed energy) and the assumption that airspeed = groundspeed. Obviously with a headwind/tailwind the calculation changes since distance becomes the simple integral of airspeed with respect to time.
I was looking everywhere for that thread!

hi.. i havent tried long distance flight over ocean what's the point of doing? test mavic? unless there are dolphins swimming... i will do that..
Mavic is so unpredictable...i guess..

I don't trust the battery level indicator when flying in sport mode as it can drop very fast. Go out in p-mode and return back in sport.
i really agree mate.. jotting this on my flight sequence.. :)

I agree about p-mode with forward sensors off. I have read it is the most efficient and you also eliminate the problem of reflected light causing a false obstruction stop. Good luck!

You should have no problem in either mode. Don't turn the sensors off. No need. Just heck the wind at your altitude- don't fly directly downwind on the outward leg if there's a lot of wind. And, watch your battery consumption. I've flown this far and farther over water lots of times. You should have no problems.

I used sport mode. It consumed more power than P-Mode. Plus I had the left prop in the shot during some occasions. I hit 40mph on the return trip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54