DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the MV is distressing on its own, but not seeing anything on the screen due to the daylight..

I know exactly what you mean, and I know exactly how to fix it! You need to build a small hood and angle it at about 30 degrees to the screen. You lose very little by looking at the screen at an angle, and no more reflection of your face, or of the sky. I attach photos of my hood. I have also built a small platform for the mobile and angled this forwards by 25 degrees. The end result is that the hood angles back about 5 dergees with respect to the controller, and I find this perfect for viewing for extended periods.

I attach a photo to give you the idea. The mobile support is made of wood and the hood of fairly stiff plastic. The hood is held on by elastcated velcro and folds flat for transport. It works great, even in bright sunshine.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about your device; it sure does look as if it can be the solution for my "blindness". Just received my matte finish screen protection, so now it is just a question of buying the material you used to make myself one. Will keep in touch and inform you of how I managed....

All goggles/glasses offer a very different experience. I don't know if you'll think they are better than what you're using now since it's really a personal preference. If you like what you have, then there probably is no reason to venture on to something more expensive.
Never tried using googles before, so I just hope they do the same as the phone... Wonder though how you are supposed to activate the different items the touch screen provides....

Add me to the list of pilots frustrated by not being able to see the screen on my tablet in bright sunshine, made worse by the brilliant snowpack that's still here. In an attempt to see something, I made the hood shown in the attached photos out of some cheap Walmart felt fabric, some Coroplast I've had lying around, and 3M spray adhesive. It's better, but I'm still waiting for the bugs to get worked out of the Epson Moverio system. It folds up and straps to the Case Matrix case where my Mavic and its peripherals live. I riveted wrist and finger loops to hold the hood to my hands and hold the controller/tablet with the antennae sticking through the holes in the "roof". I still have enough finger movement to tap the tablet screen.
Geezer, that sure is one big shield you have there! Still, I'm sure it works great. Makes me wonder how bright the DJI screen will be when available... Bet it drains battteries like mad.
Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

Never tried using googles before, so I just hope they do the same as the phone... Wonder though how you are supposed to activate the different items the touch screen provides....
When flying with HDMI goggles/glasses, you can activate the different items on your mobile device just as you do now. The goggles/glasses are just acting as a second display. If using VR goggles, you won't be able to interact with DJI GO since your mobile device will be inside of the goggles as they are strapped to your face.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about your device; it sure does look as if it can be the solution for my "blindness". Just received my matte finish screen protection, so now it is just a question of buying the material you used to make myself one. Will keep in touch and inform you of how I managed....

Glad you are going to try it out. I must apologise because the angles I gave you before applied to an earlier attempt. Attached are the correct dimensions and another photo to show how the velcro slides under the bottom of the phone. I made the hood from a plastic folder, stuck together with adhesive tape. The tape has a tendency to detach after a while, so I reinforced it with staples. The exact size of the hood depends, of course, on the dimensions of the mobile phone, but use roughly the same angles. I use a Galaxy S7 Edge, so you may have to modify the dimensions to suit your phone. Good luck with yours.

Hood dimensions.png Velcro-strap.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99