DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying the MV is distressing on its own, but not seeing anything on the screen due to the daylight..

Spanish Flyer

Reactions
I'm starting to learn to accept that I have US $ 1,500 somewhere in the sky and that anything can happen to it, but not being able to see a thing on the phone screen is nerve wracking; the pleasure of flying turns into a nightmare. I have purchased and installed one of those screen hoods, but if anything it makes things worse, since I now see my ugly face as if I was looking into a mirror. I have adjusted the screen brightness to maximum and it makes a difference, but on cloudy days and with an ND filter it is just like flying in the dark. Not only you don't see an image, but when trying to reach some point or returning due to low battery is just guessing and most of the times failing in your route. The video you get out of that guessing is useless, flying like a really drunk driver/pilot. Returning home I always use the little red arrow and the track left behind, but I ask myself, where is the fun on that??.

Yesterday I took a huge black T-shirt and after taking off and aiming the MV in the general direction, I covered my head with the shirt, including remote and phone and I immediately noticed a HUGE difference; I could actually see where I was going and even enjoyed the scenery the craft was sending back.
That´s why I'm really looking forward to DJI's goggle release. In the mean time I will use my T-shirt or even something biger, like a dark blanket or similar.

Just wonder how many suffer from the same problem...

Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

Reactions: PowerT1998
Hi SpanishFlyer
You do not say if you are using an anti-glare film on your screen, or what type of screen youare using, I had the same problem, but after applying an anti-glare protective screen to my iPad Air 2 things were much better.
Waylander

Reactions: Spanish Flyer
Last edited:
Dear kilrah, I'm using two different phones, a Samsung Note 3 and a Huawei Mate 7, both of which are recommended by DJI; with maximum brightness they both give more or less the same brightness, but what waylander just mentioned makes a lot of sense; both my phones have a shiny protective screen and that could well be one of the reasons for not helping at all with the image.
I did think about getting matte finish protections, but never got around to doing it and on the other hand they probably help, but will not get rid of the whole problem...
Thanks a lot to both
Spanish Flyer

Assuming you're not going to get sticker shock when you see the price of those goggles, here are a few other options that currently work with the Mavic:

Hi msinger
In your post you gave a link to "any of these FPV/goggles/glasses"... in case I'm missing something, the list contains the "Headplay FPV" goggles, please tell me how to connect the Headplay to my RC...to get flight video...:)
Waylander

It is nerve wracking putting that much money in the air. Having DJI refresh still doesn't lessen the fear factor of losing a precious drone. [emoji3] I hope the DJI FPV system comes in at $300 or less.

It would be nice to be untethered to an android or iOS device while flying.

the list contains the "Headplay FPV" goggles, please tell me how to connect the Headplay to my RC...to get flight video
You can connect them to the Nvidia Shield K1 since it has an HDMI out.

Assuming you're not going to get sticker shock when you see the price of those goggles, here are a few other options that currently work with the Mavic:
Thanks for the info msinger, but thinking about the cost for any of them, I prefer to buy but once only and I'm sure that when the DJI googles come out, they will be fully compatible and "updatable" to our MV.
Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

Reactions: SteveCA
It is nerve wracking putting that much money in the air. Having DJI refresh still doesn't lessen the fear factor of losing a precious drone. [emoji3] I hope the DJI FPV system comes in at $300 or less.

It would be nice to be untethered to an android or iOS device while flying.
I read somewhere that the price would be closer to US $ 400 or so; now, as you say, the refresh rate is of the most importance when flying fast, so we will see how they perform when they come out. Talked about so much and still not out to the general public... wonder what the problem/s are....
BR,
Spanish Flyer.

You can connect them to the Nvidia Shield K1 since it has an HDMI out.

msinger yes the "Shield" I knew about that, what I did not see was the " + " sign with "any of these FPV etc", I thought perhaps you knew something else..:confused:, doh I need to wear my glasses more often.
Waylander.

Ah, sorry about that. I updated my comment above to make it easier to read.

I'm starting to learn to accept that I have US $ 1,500 somewhere in the sky and that anything can happen to it, but not being able to see a thing on the phone screen is nerve wracking; the pleasure of flying turns into a nightmare. I have purchased and installed one of those screen hoods, but if anything it makes things worse, since I now see my ugly face as if I was looking into a mirror. I have adjusted the screen brightness to maximum and it makes a difference, but on cloudy days and with an ND filter it is just like flying in the dark. Not only you don't see an image, but when trying to reach some point or returning due to low battery is just guessing and most of the times failing in your route. The video you get out of that guessing is useless, flying like a really drunk driver/pilot. Returning home I always use the little red arrow and the track left behind, but I ask myself, where is the fun on that??.

Yesterday I took a huge black T-shirt and after taking off and aiming the MV in the general direction, I covered my head with the shirt, including remote and phone and I immediately noticed a HUGE difference; I could actually see where I was going and even enjoyed the scenery the craft was sending back.
That´s why I'm really looking forward to DJI's goggle release. In the mean time I will use my T-shirt or even something biger, like a dark blanket or similar.

Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

If I see someone with a shirt over their head and controller flying a Mavic around then I'm going to push them and watch them fall down. I think that would be funny.

Reactions: Vilco and bakerboy

Best regards,
Spanish Flyer
I have found that if I remove my trousers and place them over my head with only a small viewing window through the half zippered fly it acts as a camera obscura and improves my screen viability; I also do not get as many distracting questions from bystanders when I fly that way. Glad to know I am not the only one who figured this out Spanish Flyer.
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
I made a shade with three sides out of black foamcore (available at art supply) It is about 13 inches long, more like a tube, and once I look into it, the light is pretty much blocked from all sides. Since the bottom is open, I can still access my device screen. It is lightweight and velcros to two little tabs on my controller.

I made a shade with three sides out of black foamcore (available at art supply) It is about 13 inches long, more like a tube, and once I look into it, the light is pretty much blocked from all sides. Since the bottom is open, I can still access my device screen. It is lightweight and velcros to two little tabs on my controller.
Lets see a pic of your setup please!!!!

Reactions: jasoraso
While the nVidea Shield tablet is not the brightest, it is acceptable with a matte SuperShieldz screen protector and a HoodiVision sunshade. IMG_0100.JPG

While the nVidea Shield tablet is not the brightest, it is acceptable with a matte SuperShieldz screen protector and a HoodiVision sunshade. View attachment 8639
A quick question for you Fplvert; my shield is not doing so well with the latest firmware/software, how is yours running and what android and app version are you using? Thank you for your help.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Fplvert
A quick question for you Fplvert; my shield is not doing so well with the latest firmware/software, how is yours running and what android and app version are you using? Thank you for your help.
Regards,
-d.
Hi Bunny Too,
My Shield is the old recalled one (not the K). It's still on 5.1 Lollipop and Mavic is 1.03.02. I only update if something is not working.;) I am running Go4 for the Mavic.

Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

Me too! My phone is an Asus and even with brigthness maxed out it isn't enough bright. I also disabled auto-brightness to be sure it couldn't be reduced by any kind of energy-saving.
Your solution looks a "little" unorthodox but it makes perfect sense!
Now I must find a Burqa, that would be the top ;)

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest