DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying UK along the mon & brec canal 2024

wombat

Reactions
I would like to fly a mini 3 pro around the Mon & Brec canal UK 2024 and I have been advised by the boat company that I will need to seek permission from:
National Trust Land
Bannau Brycheiniog (National Park)
Land or Natural Resources Wales Land
Anybody flown in this area and know what permission is required, I would like to fly between Mamhilad and Brecon while travelling on a narrowboat.

I would like to fly a mini 3 pro around the Mon & Brec canal UK 2024 and I have been advised by the boat company that I will need to seek permission from:
National Trust Land
Bannau Brycheiniog (National Park)
Land or Natural Resources Wales Land
Anybody flown in this area and know what permission is required, I would like to fly between Mamhilad and Brecon while travelling on a narrowboat.
Check out the national trust map (use this as the search string) there is no land marked along the full length of the Mon&brec, nor is the canal part of the national trust - it is part of the canal & rivers trust network (CART). Brecon national park does not have a published drone policy. The only mention of "no filming" is in relation to commercial operations and this is only so they can charge well over £3500 for allowing a professional crew to operate.
The only restrictions that might apply would be those set in place as bye-laws by parish or borough councils in urban areas the canal passes through and these would only apply to TOAL from LAND administered by that council. CART has no published drone policy and filming restrictions are the same as Brecon National Park - only commercial shoots have to pay a "filming fee". CART administers the canals. You'll be on a boat.
The only thing you will have to keep a careful eye on is TOAL from a narrow boat. They are all steel construction and like all boats that move around, they become magnetised, this might play Hob with the compass. How do I know? I lived on one and travelled the entire navigable canal and river network of England and Wales for over a decade.

Last edited:
Looks pretty clear of urban areas to me. You will always get somebody in the UK who will object. Best thing say sorry and begin again a few miles on. Launching place is the key if you are on public land its OK . With a mini pro and its 249 weight this is also a plus. Most times people do not even realise the drone is there. It tends to be rather damp in wales however so good luck with the weather!

Reactions: twickers14
Check out the national trust map (use this as the search string) there is no land marked along the full length of the Mon&brec, nor is the canal part of the national trust - it is part of the canal & rivers trust network (CART). Brecon national park does not have a published drone policy. The only mention of "no filming" is in relation to commercial operations and this is only so they can charge well over £3500 for allowing a professional crew to operate.
The only restrictions that might apply would be those set in place as bye-laws by parish or borough councils in urban areas the canal passes through and these would only apply to TOAL from LAND administered by that council. CART has no published drone policy and filming restrictions are the same as Brecon National Park - only commercial shoots have to pay a "filming fee". CART administers the canals. You'll be on a boat.
The only thing you will have to keep a careful eye on is TOAL from a narrow boat. They are all steel construction and like all boats that move around, they become magnetised, this might play Hob with the compass. How do I know? I lived on one and travelled the entire navigable canal and river network of England and Wales for over a decade
The only thing you will have to keep a careful eye on is TOAL from a narrow boat. They are all steel construction and like all boats that move around, they become magnetised, this might play Hob with the compass. How do I know? I lived on one and travelled the entire navigable canal and river network of England and Wales for over a decade
Looks pretty clear of urban areas to me. You will always get somebody in the UK who will object. Best thing say sorry and begin again a few miles on. Launching place is the key if you are on public land its OK . With a mini pro and its 249 weight this is also a plus. Most times people do not even realise the drone is there. It tends to be rather damp in wales however so good luck with the weather!
Never had any problems flying my drone off and around the canal , had problems with the boat grounding Because of low water levels , other than that had a wonderful day, cheers Len

Reactions: twickers14
Thanks guys for all of your feedback, I will be travelling from Western Australia heading for Brecon Park Boats April 2024

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_