DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying under bridges, rock arches, etc

gjhick

Reactions
I’ve been reading threads for guidance on flying the MavicPro through rock arches, under bridges, etc.

My understanding is that loss of GPS will trigger ATTI or OPTI (depending on sensor settings and altitude), whereas it is loss of connection with the remote control that will trigger RTH (with bad consequences). So ... the most important consideration is maintaining line of sight to the drone while it’s under the bridge or arch (for example by being positioned at the same level as the drone at the mouth of the bridge)?

I read posts saying the loss of satellites while under the bridge will trigger RTH, but that’s not correct, is it?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I read posts saying the loss of satellites while under the bridge will trigger RTH, but that’s not correct, is it?
No. Using the default settings in DJI GO, only the loss of the remote controller signal triggers RTH.

You can prevent that from happening by changing the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

M Singer's info is correct, but sometimes hovering upon loss of connection can mean disaster (over water, over a ravine, above trees, etc).

Try using Litchi on missions where connectivity is an issue. Litchi stores the mission info* in the Mavic, so even if connection is lost, the Mavic will complete the mission and return to home.

I've tested this feature by turning my remote controller OFF after launch. Mavic completed the mission, and returned safely. Litchi is only about $20-25. A very useful tool and cheap insurance against losing your Mavic.

*Speed and gimbal position instructions are NOT stored in the Mavic though, so if connection is lost, speed and gimbal position will remain fixed until connectivity is restored. But you'll get your bird back safely, and maybe the footage will still be useable.

Reactions: gjhick
However, losing GPS and entering Atti, the Mavic can behave unpredictably. It will try to regain GPS signal and you could have a moment of non responsiveness in which the Mavic can hit a wall.

There are other (DJI) drones to do that kind of stuff safely, not the Mavic line I'm afraid.
You would want to be able to lock it in Atti mode.

Good to know - was planning to get familiar with Litchi, so this is a further reason to do so!

Try using Litchi on missions where connectivity is an issue. Litchi stores the mission info* in the Mavic ...

To lock it in ATTI mode one can place foil over the top portion of the Mavic Pro and it will not be able to get a GPS lock. Be careful as ATTI mode can be a different flying experience. Dont put foil over the front or rear/bottom as there needs to be adequate cooling going on.

If you plan to fly under a bridge or tunnel that has alot of concrete remember that the Mavics compass can be affected by lots of metal within those structure and not be accurate.

No. Using the default settings in DJI GO, only the loss of the remote controller signal triggers RTH.

You can prevent that from happening by changing the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" in the following section of DJI GO:

View attachment 32287
WOW Mike thanks. I know it's simple BUT this guy who's been on the list for over a year, JUST got it!!
You can then initiate RTH once u regain control or reposition yourself to reacquire the signal, assuming flights are all within VLOS

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique