DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying weather

fjrmurph

Reactions
Hi All
Thanks for the add , i am soon to be a Mavik owner . I am leaning toward the Platinum . I know wind is always a factor , and i read where hot weather can be a factor . I am on the east coast of Canada , i don't think i will have to worry about it being too warm . What about cold weather , is this something to be concerned about , i guess cold will probably reduce the battery life . What about rain if its cold and will it ice up and lose lift ? What about rain in warm weather , will the Mavik fly in rain ?

You don't fly when it is raining. Battery flight time will be reduced if you fly when the temperature is less than 5 degrees Celsius.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
- I have flown in Svalbard, where the temps were at -26C/-15F.
Probably lost 2-3 minutes of battery time.
Your biggest problem is actually not the aircraft but protecting yourself (tips of fingers for example) and protecting whatever tablet you are using to run the software. The iPad I use is not designed to run at theses low temps, and will shutdown.

- You don't fly in the rain. I know shortly, someone will post an advertisement for a rain cover protection to be able to do it, but I personally don't see the point of getting footage/photos in this type of weather. Without the cover, moisture will get inside the aircraft thru the air intake, and corrosion can form inside it, which is a really bad idea in the long run.

- If you were to fly in the rain in cold weather, then yes, icing can form on the prop blades. This will leave less lift available, abnormal vibration, and can cause damage up to the complete loss of the aircraft.

Hope this helps

If you keep your batteries separate from the drone and warm until you insert them just prior to flight, then cold should not be too much of a problem as batteries will warm up on load.
As for weather I agree with not flying in rain this also includes any rapid temperature change as it will cause condensation internally and can lead to corrosion.
I haven’t tried any of the water repellent sprays yet but this has worked on my camera gear (avoid lenses as they are silicone based)

THKS
I was thinking of stability and control flying in the rain . Didn't think of the unit getting wet , good point !!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N