DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with a phone case

greginfinity

Reactions
I see that they haven't improved the controller over the MP to accept phones with cases. I have a pretty small profile case and it still doesn't fit. I used to fly my MP with a tablet, but I am loving a more minimalist approach with the MA. Any thoughts on getting a phone with a case in there? I really hate removing the case, and also hate fiddling with the connector.

Galaxy S7 is the phone in question but I assume all other phones have the same issue.

I usually just wedge my iPhone 7 between the remote controller arms like this:

03.jpg

Another option would be to use a phone mount -- like the PolarPro phone mount.

61IPHfYFurL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
I have had those tablet holders but I don't want another thing to carry around (tablet and holder). I just want to be able to slide my phone, with a case, into the arms. I always thought someone might make different rubber grips for the MP since you could take them off. But they are fixed on the MA. Maybe I will just shave down the rubber...

I usually just wedge my iPhone 7 between the remote controller arms like this:

View attachment 31352

Another option would be to use a phone mount -- like the PolarPro phone mount.

View attachment 31354

2nd vote for the Polar Pro mount. That thing is SOLID! The bottom section snaps onto the controller and is held tight on there. The upper section threads on and the clamp is easier to use since it’s not spring loaded. You lift the switch on the back to open it up, insert your phone, close the clamp, lock the switch. It puts the phone in a better location (in my opinion) above the controller than between the grips. And I have no fear of my phone falling out of the grips because of the way I hold it. It’s an awesome phone clamp.

Don't get me wrong, I had one of those too and it is great, but I don't want to snap on more things to go fly. MA is all about portability and flying quickly. I went to fly yesterday with the controller in one pocket, drone in the other, and my phone. It was so nice to not have anything else to carry!!!

Reactions: Verizondrone28
Any thoughts on the galaxy note8? I just recently ordered my mavic air like yesterday I'm super excited can' wait for it to arrive!! Does anybody know if it will fit into the controller I also have an otter box case on my phone?? Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I had one of those too and it is great, but I don't want to snap on more things to go fly. MA is all about portability and flying quickly. I went to fly yesterday with the controller in one pocket, drone in the other, and my phone. It was so nice to not have anything else to carry!!!

I see your point there. For me, it’s all about the experience when the Mavic is flying so a better phone mount that is solid and provides me with a better view is better for me. I got a backpack to carry my gear in so I’ll always have that with me regardless of where I go. :)

I see that they haven't improved the controller over the MP to accept phones with cases. I have a pretty small profile case and it still doesn't fit. I used to fly my MP with a tablet, but I am loving a more minimalist approach with the MA. Any thoughts on getting a phone with a case in there? I really hate removing the case, and also hate fiddling with the connector.

Galaxy S7 is the phone in question but I assume all other phones have the same issue.

Searching for a solution myself for my S8 Plus with Otterbox. This is the only solution I've stumbled across, but would still need an adapter to get past the case or use a different cable than the ones included. The angled plug won't plug in with the case on in my personal situation.

DIY mod for using a phone with case attached

I do what MSSINGER does. I see zero need for any add ons

Pauly, that mod only works on the MP, you can't unscrew the rubber grips on the MA controller. I know some people just cut the rubber on the MP, I may do that on my MA controller.

As for what MSINGER does, that is ok, but the phone really isn't that securely held.

Pauly, that mod only works on the MP, you can't unscrew the rubber grips on the MA controller. I know some people just cut the rubber on the MP, I may do that on my MA controller.

As for what MSINGER does, that is ok, but the phone really isn't that securely held.

Thanks for clarifying that. Didn't realize the 2 RC's were constructed differently.

I use the Polar Pro mount with my S8+ in a case, the angle suits me better too

I use the Polar Pro mount with my S8+ in a case, the angle suits me better too
Same ....works a treat. Very nicely designed. Also the mount itself breaks down nicely

Ok, I found a solution for my situation.

1) Remove the square bracket the holds the end of the phone connector cable (the thing that slides up and down on the phone holder arm). Don't need this anymore.
2) Connect my phone to the cable.
3) Hold the phone an inch or so away from the bottom of the controller and move the arms in as tight as you can (like MSINGER's photo's but the phone is not snug up against the controller).
4) Push the arms in and phone up at the same time. The little rubber fingers on the MA controller are a lot thinner so you can fold them with this action. It puts the phone in a much more snug position.

This works with my phone and case, but a thicker phone+case won't work.

Reactions: brianfbutler

I just got my MavicMount Red MavMount 3.0 DJI Mavic Pro and Spark iPad Tablet adapter system | MavMount to replace the PolarPro mount I sent back and it fits perfectly for my Note 5 still in the case! Ya, it's about $60 but once you see how well it fits you'll demand to pay more!

Did you not like the PolarPro or just see this and say "I gotta have it"? Lol. That's a pretty serious mount right there.

I really didn't like the PolarPro. It doesn't let you angle the antennas straight up like its supposed to because the phone is in the way and you can't adjust the angle. They make superb filters though.

Searching for a solution myself for my S8 Plus with Otterbox. This is the only solution I've stumbled across, but would still need an adapter to get past the case or use a different cable than the ones included. The angled plug won't plug in with the case on in my personal situation.

DIY mod for using a phone with case attached

That won't work on MA remote. Even though they look the same MA remote is missing screws at the bottom of the arm so you can't remove rubber parts. I too have S8+ but with Spigen case and with my case it fits (bit awkwardly) so I'm still looking for better solution.

I'm actually looking to purchase spare set of controller arms so that I can cut rubber phone grips inside.

Modified controller !
IphoneX with case.
I chose to modify my controller instead of adding extra gear.
I took a nail file and sanded down the rubber grips. I took about an hour to make it fit perfect.
I also removed the sliding cable holder (found it to be unnecessary)
Very easy to do.

Attachments

• Iphonex.JPG
    Iphonex.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 74

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki