DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying With Batteries (Specifically British Airways)

JonathanP

Reactions
I have a question on the Lithium battery policy for carry on baggage, specifically with British Airways since their policy seems to deviate from most other US and European airlines.

I will be traveling from the US to Europe (customs in London if it matters) with a full frame camera, two action cameras (Go Pro/Insta 360), and a Mini 3. I would like to travel with 2 batteries for my camera, 4 batteries each for my two action cameras, and 4 batteries for my Mini 3, and a power bank (10,000 mAh/74 wh) if I can. The BA policy says that a person can bring:

"...up to 15 battery-operated Personal Electronic Devices (PED) that contain lithium batteries such as laptops, tablets, smart phones, cameras, music players etc."

and that only "4 spares per person can be packed" in the carry on bag.

Is this 4 spares per electronic item? Or 4 spares total? I don't see how someone could bring 15 battery operated devices yet only 4 batteries so it seems like it would be the former. After all, if it's 4 total that seems awfully restrictive. Every other airline I look at allows 20 or more sub 100wh batteries.

I would love to see if any of you have experience with British Airways in particular. Any thoughts?

I have a question on the Lithium battery policy for carry on baggage, specifically with British Airways since their policy seems to deviate from most other US and European airlines.

I will be traveling from the US to Europe (customs in London if it matters) with a full frame camera, two action cameras (Go Pro/Insta 360), and a Mini 3. I would like to travel with 2 batteries for my camera, 4 batteries each for my two action cameras, and 4 batteries for my Mini 3, and a power bank (10,000 mAh/74 wh) if I can. The BA policy says that a person can bring:

"...up to 15 battery-operated Personal Electronic Devices (PED) that contain lithium batteries such as laptops, tablets, smart phones, cameras, music players etc."

and that only "4 spares per person can be packed" in the carry on bag.

Is this 4 spares per electronic item? Or 4 spares total? I don't see how someone could bring 15 battery operated devices yet only 4 batteries so it seems like it would be the former. After all, if it's 4 total that seems awfully restrictive. Every other airline I look at allows 20 or more sub 100wh batteries.

I would love to see if any of you have experience with British Airways in particular. Any thoughts?
I have also emailed BA to see what they tell me, but sometimes what the rules say and what actually happens at the airport may be two different things. It seems like a gray area in their policy so I am just curious if anyone has experience with BA.

I will update what BA tells me for anyone curious in the future.

The airline itself never conducts security checks anywhere it’s usually a government agency.

As I say all the time everything in your carryon and you will be fine.

Security does not care that you have a drone. I travel often and have travelled on BA with my drones, camera bodies, lenses and numerous batteries. I’ve never had them counted by an airline or BA for that matter.

Also the whole discharging batteries thing isn’t true you don’t have to discharge batteries or even have them in lipo bags they just want everything in a bag any bag it could be a paper bag as long as it’s in a bag. Nobody from airport security is going to check how charged your batteries are. It’s far to time consuming.

I know others will tell you different but this is coming from someone that flies pretty often and internationally several times a year.

Last edited:
The airline itself never conducts security checks anywhere it’s usually a government agency.

As I say all the time everything in your carryon and you will be fine.

Security does not care that you have a drone. I travel often and have travelled on BA with my drones, camera bodies, lenses and numerous batteries. I’ve never had them counted by an airline or BA for that matter.

Also the whole discharging batteries thing isn’t true you don’t have to discharge batteries or even have them in lipo bags they just want everything in a bag any bag it could be a paper bag as long as it’s in a bag. Nobody from airport security is going to check how charged your batteries are. It’s far to time consuming.

I know others will tell you different but this is coming from someone that flies pretty often and internationally several times a year.
Thanks RoarRoar. That's good to know.

Google > British airways drone

Your drone will (should) have a watt hr rating well under 100wh, the M3 for example is 77wh.
You can have 4 SPARE batteries up to 100wh in carry on, and that includes power banks or other such not fitted in a device (phone, laptop etc, all ok on top of that allowance).
Terminals should be covered to prevent shortages.

If that's not enough, you can check your drone in checked bag with a battery fitted.

I just have to say. I love the title of this thread! It catches my eye everytime I check in. Flying with batteries. Uh how else would you fly? Lmao. Then you see the full description and it makes sense. Still chuckle every time I see it though 😎

Reactions: RRDC Media
Reactions: RRDC Media
I travel with LIPO bags for my batteries to be safe. Especially with fires happening on the airplanes lately. They are very cheap on Amazon and you can find them for your drone specifically. I know this way if they did have issues you have a least chance of ending up on National News like all these recent fires.

I traveled to the UK last summer on British Airways with an Autel Nano+ and three batteries along with a camera and three batteries, two iPhones, an iPad Mini, and a laptop within any problems. The airport security people at Heathrow were more concerned about the iPad Mini that was in the drone case. Just make sure to allow plenty of time in case they want you to unpack everything for inspection.

Reactions: N41W74
Though not directly related to the OP's question, it could be relevant to this issue going forward.

Spirit Airlines flight makes emergency landing after battery fire

Happens very occasionally, YouTube has various videos of Li battery fires on planes, in terminals etc.
Usually phones are the most common (iPhones in particular seemingly), followed by various like those found in laptops, powerbanks, motorised disability type equipment and so on.

There seemed to be little smoke or damage in the compartment, probably a smaller button type or phone / laptop battery, a drone sized battery would likely have burned through the plastics the way they go up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne