DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying within 5 miles from multiple airports

JinForTheWin

Reactions
When there are multiple airports within 5 miles, are you telling each airport about your pre planned flight or just nearest to where you're flying?

I think most people have learned that its a waste of your time & the controllers to notify them of your flight plans. The normal responses are either to tell you to be careful & you don't have to notify them again or you'll have the occasional guy tell you never to fly within 5 miles which is BS. You just need to give the airports plenty of distance & avoid flying along the takeoff & approach pathways.

When there are multiple airports within 5 miles, are you telling each airport about your pre planned flight or just nearest to where you're flying?

Personal opinions aside, the actual answer is that you are required to inform each airport.

Reactions: Drone Ranger

If your flight will be within 5 miles of any airport, you must notify all of them. Helipads too.

I think most people have learned that its a waste of your time & the controllers to notify them of your flight plans. The normal responses are either to tell you to be careful & you don't have to notify them again or you'll have the occasional guy tell you never to fly within 5 miles which is BS. You just need to give the airports plenty of distance & avoid flying along the takeoff & approach pathways.

Yes they can, airport operators can deny you if the flight would endanger airspace activities. If you are outside of the five mile limit they have no say.

Yes they can, airport operators can deny you if the flight would endanger airspace activities. If you are outside of the five mile limit they have no say.

No they can't. The rule is that you must inform each airport of your activities, not seek their permission (if operating for recreational purposes). They have no regulatory control over your flight. It is also your requirement to operate your craft safely, and an airport telling you that you would be endangering airspace activities is a pretty good indication that you likely won't be operating safely. Here's the rule from the FAA: "You must notify airport and air traffic control tower before flying within 5 miles of an airport". (emphasis added)

Or more technically: "when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport]".

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/uas_arctic/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

If you're flying under 107, you must seek permission. But in that case, it's the FAA giving you permission, not the control tower/airport.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Reactions: lisadoc
It is a tell, not an ask. However, they can tell you not to fly if there is a reasonable safety risk. Disregarding would be unwise.

But doesn't part 107 say you need to request authorization from ATC and give them 90 days to respond? (Airspace B for example)

But doesn't part 107 say you need to request authorization from ATC and give them 90 days to respond? (Airspace B for example)

That's 107, not recreational. Completely different requirements (see above).

And the authorization is from the FAA, not ATC.

Aircraft don’t always fly directly in the upwind and downwind traffic pattern of an airport. Drone operators should assume aircraft can come from any direction and any altitude within the vertical limits of the airport airspace.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

The information you posted shows that an airport controller cannot stop/deny you from flying.

As mentioned, under hobby flight you are required to inform all airports. Personally, I only call larger airports.

Did I call this airport owner? No.

upload_2017-10-8_14-35-19.png

Reactions: brad_rector
Just so I get this straight. If we're flying for enjoyment, just notify them, which basically means telling them. If flying for business (107), 90 days notice to inform FAA and it's not guaranteed?

Reactions: Wersh
I live literally 8 tenths of a mile from the end of a runway at our muni airport... The yellow caution zone (circle) actually bisects through the middle of my property... I thought maybe the circle was more ambiguous than it was, when I got the Mavic, I had to actually go to lower half of my acre. Tried to fly toward my house, it stopped at the geofence, I have since signed up, registered or whatever it was I needed to do so I can now go out on my driveway and fly, I don't fly at home except to play with settings and check things.. maybe a sunset or sunrise now and then, I have flown high, but not more than a couple seconds. I do have to "confirm" that I am acknowledge I'm in a NFZ. FWIW

Reactions: Letsgethigh469
Just so I get this straight. If we're flying for enjoyment, just notify them, which basically means telling them. If flying for business (107), 90 days notice to inform FAA and it's not guaranteed?

If you have your part 107, you only need to obtain permission to fly in controlled airspace.

Most Heliports and the vast majority of smaller airports are not in controlled airspace below 700' agl. Therefore a part 107 pilot does not need (is forbidden) to contact airports within 5 miles.

To fly in controlled airspace, a part 107 needs to obtain the ATC permission through an FAA portal. ATC permission is always required to fly in controlled airspace.

Reactions: 99turbo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian