DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying within 5 miles from multiple airports

Since the FAA is no longer allowed to regulate hobby drones....do hobby drones still need to call airports within 5 miles?

They still every power under section 336 as they have always had. This includes requiring hobby users to call an airport. I recommending reading section 336.

If you have your part 107, you only need to obtain permission to fly in controlled airspace.

Most Heliports and the vast majority of smaller airports are not in controlled airspace below 700' agl. Therefore a part 107 pilot does not need (is forbidden) to contact airports within 5 miles.

To fly in controlled airspace, a part 107 needs to obtain the ATC permission through an FAA portal. ATC permission is always required to fly in controlled airspace.

If it's either airspace B, C, D or E, doesn't it begin at the surface and within 5 miles so therefore you would need to obtain authorization?

They still every power under section 336 as they have always had. This includes requiring hobby users to call an airport. I recommending reading section 336.

I only fly under part 107. But I was unaware that hobbiest were still required to call.

If it's either airspace B, C, D or E, doesn't it begin at the surface and within 5 miles so therefore you would need to obtain authorization?

Looking at a sectional chart will let you know where controlled airspace begins/ends at the surface. Some are perfect circles, some are odd shaped.

The vast majority of smaller airports, which are most of the airports in the country, are class g airspace below 700'.

Here are some random screenshots I took of Michigan's sectional. NONE of these airports are controlled airspace below 700' agl. (There is a rectangle of restricted airspace over a military installation)

Also note that not all are a perfect circle.
image.png

Here is a closeup of one of these airports. This "magenta" (or whatever color they consider it) ring represents 700' agl inside and 1200' agl outside for controlled airspace.

If you are below 700' inside the ring, you are NOT in controlled airspace.
If you are below 1,200' outside the ring you are not in controlled airspace.
image.png

Last edited:
while im at it, I will post some examples of
Controlled airspace.

Inside the inner most ring is controlled airspace from 4,800 feet to the surface. You cannot fly here without ATC permission which part 107 would obtain through an FAA online portal.

You CAN fly inside the larger outer ring. It is only controlled airspace from 2,000 feet to 4,800 feet. So as long as you are below 2,000 feet, you do not need permission to fly here as this is not controlled airspace.

image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
while im at it, I will post some examples of
Controlled airspace.

Inside the inner most ring is controlled airspace from 4,800 feet to the surface. You cannot fly here without ATC permission which part 107 would obtain through an FAA online portal.

You CAN fly inside the larger outer ring. It is only controlled airspace from 2,000 feet to 4,800 feet. So as long as you are below 2,000 feet, you do not need permission to fly here as this is not controlled airspace.

View attachment 22997

I always fly under 400' so you're saying I'm ok to do that within B, C, D, and E airspace without notifying atc if 107 certified?

I always fly under 400' so you're saying I'm ok to do that within B, C, D, and E airspace without notifying atc if 107 certified?

No. This statement is incorrect.

You cannot fly in b c d or e airspace without ATC clearance.

Class e airspace generally starts at 700 or 1200 feet. Below that is class g airspace.

So you can fly in close proximity to a small airport like the ones pictured above as a 107 because it is class g airspace.

Being near an airport does NOT necessarily make for controlled airspace at the surface.

Class b c d generally go all the way to the surface within 5 miles. These are larger busier airports with a manned control tower. You cannot fly here without ATC permission.

No. This statement is incorrect.

You cannot fly in b c d or e airspace without ATC clearance.

Class e airspace generally starts at 700 or 1200 feet. Below that is class g airspace.

So you can fly in close proximity to a small airport like the ones pictured above as a 107 because it is class g airspace.

Being near an airport does NOT necessarily make for controlled airspace at the surface.

Class b c d generally go all the way to the surface within 5 miles. These are larger busier airports with a manned control tower. You cannot fly here without ATC permission.

I live in NJ and it's very close to b, C, D, and E airspace cause of airports. I think this goes back to my original thinking which is that having 107 license and flying for a profit actual makes it significantly more difficult when hobbyist just have to notify airports whereas 107 needs 90 days notice from ATC.

I live in NJ and it's very close to b, C, D, and E airspace cause of airports. I think this goes back to my original thinking which is that having 107 license and flying for a profit actual makes it significantly more difficult when hobbyist just have to notify airports whereas 107 needs 90 days notice from ATC.

I got my 107 originally for the opposite reason, so I didn't have to call every little airport/heliport within 5 miles.

To fly a hobby drone within controlled airspace you still need to contact ATC and they can still deny your "request". The air traffic controller has ultimate authority over traffic in their airspace.

I got my 107 originally for the opposite reason, so I didn't have to call every little airport/heliport within 5 miles.

To fly a hobby drone within controlled airspace you still need to contact ATC and they can still deny your "request". The air traffic controller has ultimate authority over traffic in their airspace.

Same here

No they don't. The rule is that you must inform each airport of your activities, not seek their permission (if operating for recreational purposes). They have no regulatory control over your flight. It is your requirement to operate your craft safely. Here's the rule from the FAA: "You must notify airport and air traffic control tower before flying within 5 miles of an airport". (emphasis added)

Or more technically: "when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport]".

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/uas_arctic/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

If you're flying under 107, you must seek permission. But in that case, it's the FAA giving you permission, not the control tower/airport.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheoMatthias
I won't belabor the point as it has been made adequately in other threads, but if a hobbiest informs ATC they will by flying and ATC says no because it is unsafe, you cannot fly.

I won't belabor the point as it has been made adequately in other threads, but if a hobbiest informs ATC they will by flying and ATC says no because it is unsafe, you cannot fly.

But...

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Reactions: serpa4 and lisadoc

That may be your opinion but it is not fact. As noted above by BuzzyOne, they cannot prohibit you from flying. And this is straight from the FAA, so unless you have a more credible source (than the FAA and Section 336), I'll stand by what we wrote.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan

From FAA.gov

Airspace Restrictions

Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman