DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying without maps loaded?

cc_jim

Reactions
Question for you guys. I'm about to buy a new left over Mavic Pro, but before I do I want to make sure that the DJI Go 4 app will allow me to fly without maps loaded. Note: I have pre loaded the Go 4 app on my (wifi only) iPhone 6 and all looks good when I activate it. I've been flying quads for years LOS only, older models like the Phantom 2 and Blade Chroma, etc and have never had the need to fly with a device other than the supplied controller. So, will the DJI Go 4 app allow me to fly without having maps loaded? I've looked at many videos explaining how to load maps at home with wifi, but haven't seen anything telling that you can still fly if maps happens to not load in the field. THANKS for any insight here guys! I surely don't want to hit the buy button and find out I can't launch here in the desert!
I cancelled my order for the Mavic mini, decide it's too small for my old eyes to keep in LOS.

Yes you can, but it's safer to have live mapping by connecting your device to a wifi network to update map box as the drone flies.
I use a mi-fi or you can just hotspot your phone.

Often if the video feed cuts out, you will still have the mapping to navigate the AC back to home

Reactions: Gindra
i have a MPP, and a wifi only device i have never felt the need to preload maps myself

Reactions: fuzzball
Yes. flying without maps is perfectly fine. I've done it many times.

Just FYI, you still get a visual line from the aircraft location, on the map screen for heading back to the home point, even without the map data.

Enjoy your Mavic!

Note that you can also download and cache the maps to the device while you have access to WiFi and before going out to fly. This way you will have access to the maps even without cell service our WiFi. I have tried it and it works well!

Here is an excellent video from Drone Valley that shows how to do it. The procedures are slightly different depending on whether you are using iOS or Android devices.

thank you all. I seem to remember that the Ios tablets, will not hold h chced maps, and casnnot be shut down between caching nd shooting. might be an issue when out in the boonies.
I will watch the video

thank you so much. i rmember watching that video which is how I knew about having to eave thr IOs device on. i guess its an ios thing. i hve an android ablet that will be too anemic to handle the stream.
thank you again.

On my mini 4 , I put it into airplane mode . It seems to help keep the battery level up until the iPad is needed to send the bird in the air

Reactions: fxsales1959
Note that you can also download and cache the maps to the device while you have access to WiFi and before going out to fly. This way you will have access to the maps even without cell service our WiFi. I have tried it and it works well!

Here is an excellent video from Drone Valley that shows how to do it. The procedures are slightly different depending on whether you are using iOS or Android devices.
Op stated that he knows how to cache maps... Je was asking if it was a requirement to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast