DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FlySafe "Low Risk" zones

vkm083185

Reactions
Hello,

While I am an experienced quad pilot (Part-107/1200+hrs), I have always worked with my drones in the rural areas of Texas. Believe it or not, there's still a lot of uncontrolled airspace, especially out west.

Now, however, due to move, I find myself in and around a lot of restricted airspace. After research, I have a couple of questions (DISCLAIMER: I do NOT think breaking the FAA rules is always a good idea, and am not promoting such behavior...)

DJI has the FlySafe program. Within the program, there are areas around smaller airports (within 5 miles, but no closer than, say, 1.5 miles) that DJI deems to be "low risk" areas. It appears that you can fill out some online info, submit, and they will "release" the restrictions for your drone in these areas.

Again, I am usually a 100% rule follower in this area, but I have tried repeatedly to get the FAA to issue a cert. 4 miles away from a small field that is only used by 1-2 personal aircraft that I am aware of.

Does anyone know if the "low risk" approval through DJI will allow full functionality of the drone? I really only need to go up about 100' or so and only for a short period of time. I do, however, need ability to shoot stills and video.

Never used the FlySafe option before. Just wondering if anyone could shed some more light on it through personal experience (other than what I can read for myself online). Thanks y'all!

Sorry. Forgot,lol. Class D

Well an FAA waiver these days will take about 3 months. As far as the DJI program - it will allow you to fly in Class D but will display a pop up that you have to click accepting responsibility for the flight. I also get this at one class G airport where I live as well (I think this is an error on DJI's part).

Reactions: ksmusa
Yeah, I am well experienced in waiting.....and waiting...for a waiver, lol.

I'm on the civilian advisory board for the FAA involving the LAANC program. So far the email updates keep saying it will be available almost everywhere by the end of this year, but I am not holding my breath, lol. LAANC will solve most of these problems, if it works as advertised. They have it in 50 airports (none near me), mostly in MN, with one in FL, and one in AR, I believe, as well as AK, and maybe 1-2 other locations.. It's a Beta test of sorts. The guys I have talked with say it is a huge benefit, but still has some bugs. Until then, I have to try to work with what we are given, like everyone else, lol. Thanks!

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Sorry. Forgot,lol. Class D

You stated earlier in this thread that:
"from a small field that is only used by 1-2 personal aircraft that I am aware of."

Class D is an operating control tower.
It is not possible that the FAA would have an operating control tower at an airfield that is used by "1-2 personal aircraft."

You stated earlier in this thread that:
"from a small field that is only used by 1-2 personal aircraft that I am aware of."

Class D is an operating control tower.
It is not possible that the FAA would have an operating control tower at an airfield that is used by "1-2 personal aircraft."
True. I was making a generalized statement. Sorry for the confusion. LOL. It is Class D. However, I've never seen one with less traffic. I've flown into several Class D facilities with a single engine (older Cessna 172) and seen the "normal" amount of aircraft represented. This one's really on the low end. Anyway, it's Class D.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rsantangelo