DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FMC battery hub

gnuPilot

Reactions
Can someone explain the logic behind having a battery hub that can hold four batteries, but only charges one at a time?

It's a convenient way to charge multiple batteries. You don't have to manually swap the batteries on the charger as each battery finishes charging.

Why not have it charge all at once though like the Spark charger?

Not sure. That sounds like it would be the best of both worlds.

Most DJI charging hubs only charge one battery at a time.

What! As a ex-Spark owner this is my first big disappointment with the MA. One battery at a time is a big step backwards :(

The Spark battery charger has a USB port for firmware updates but unless I’m missing something I don’t see one on the Air charger. I had thought simultaneous charging could be added but I guess not.

The Spark battery charger has a USB port for firmware updates but unless I’m missing something I don’t see one on the Air charger.
There are two USB ports on the charger brick. You can charge the batteries and remote controller at the same time.

There are two USB ports on the charger brick. You can charge the batteries and remote controller at the same time.

Totally not what I was talking about, Spark had this as well. On the actual 3 battery Spark charger it had a little flip down panel with a USB port dedicated to fw updates only.

The micro USB port is hidden behind a rubber flap on the bottom of the hub.

IMG_4197.JPG

Assuming a single battery charges faster, isn't it better to have one fully ready to go than 4 partially charged?
The hub charges each battery fully one at a time. It'll start with the battery that has the most charge (so the batteries are available as soon as possible). You can remove each battery from the hub as they finish charging.

Reactions: xHOUGHx
I had a third party charger for my Pro that charged 3 batteries and the controller at the same time. Definitely worth it over DJI charger.

Can someone explain the logic behind having a battery hub that can hold four batteries, but only charges one at a time?
Its for when they release a new charger, they has your monies. I don't think any firmware update will give it feasible charging abilities. It would have to be a hardware update for it to charge 4 packs at a time. I think the MA batteries are 3C, which is 3 cells per pack. 3 x 4 is 12 batteries it would have to charge simultaneously. It guess the current charger could charge all 12 cells at a time but it would be a very slow trickle charge. Charging 1 pack at a time allows you to fly one pack as soon as its done, which is faster than waiting for all 4 packs to finish charging.

So they can sell you a charger in a few weeks, that charges 4 batteries at the same time.
Pretty clever from the DJI guys.

It's not a conspiracy. It has to to with the output of the compact charging power supply.

A small compact power supply can only fast charge 1, or slow charge 4 at 1/4 of the rate each... by doing serial charging, you get a fully charged battery faster. Ultimately this is what you want - 1 full battery that can do 20 min of flight time, vs 4 partially charged batteries that might be able to only do 5 min of flight time each.

There are units that are for sale have significantly higher power output and can parallel charge. The consequence is size/weight of the charger, as well as increased heat from the power supply. Might be fine for something you want in your home, but not on the go.

This to me makes the fly more combo really not necessary. The only perks i liked were the additional batteries and the hub assuming it charged multiple at the same time.. The shoulder bag sucks and the batter to power bank is pointless. I would have rather just bought the base and ordered an extra battery.

Reactions: gnuPilot
It's not a conspiracy. It has to to with the output of the compact charging power supply.

A small compact power supply can only fast charge 1, or slow charge 4 at 1/4 of the rate each... by doing serial charging, you get a fully charged battery faster.

A 240W power supply the size of a 240W Laptop power supply could charge 4 batteries at 60W each simultaneously.
DJI Mavic Air power supply is just 50W, because cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Notebook-A15-120P1A-GA240PE1-00-ADP-240AB-Alienware/dp/B0746JDFV9

416fbNfo47L._SY300_.jpg

The hub charges each battery fully one at a time. It'll start with the battery that has the most charge (so the batteries are available as soon as possible). You can remove each battery from the hub as they finish charging.
Exactly!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc