DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focus Issue

luckydog125

Reactions
I was on a golf trip last week and trying to capture a great group photo - I had a warning notification over the screen so I couldnt see it real well (since resolved that issue), but I was flying and snapping a little blind. As you will see these are definitely out of focus. The clubhouse pic looks better on my phone, but uploading here tells the story...........the video footage was also blurry. Something I am doing wrong or could it have been the wind? It wasnt howling, but I did notice the Mavic moving around a bit during the still group shot. Thanks for any recommendations!IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1483.jpg

With the Mavic you always have to press the screen (or push a button if set on the RC) to focus or set it manually. You can also zoom in, set focus, and zoom back out if it is difficult to discern on your screen. To counter an accidental focus shift I set it to manual after it is set where I want it.

On a windy day you also need to use a fast shutter speed to counter motion (of the Mavic) blur.

You also may have accidentally clicked the manual focus button on the screen look for the AF/MF button in the upper right corner.
172312yavhz7qb4p2mhbbj.png

I was on a golf trip last week and trying to capture a great group photo - I had a warning notification over the screen so I couldnt see it real well (since resolved that issue), but I was flying and snapping a little blind. As you will see these are definitely out of focus. The clubhouse pic looks better on my phone, but uploading here tells the story...........the video footage was also blurry. Something I am doing wrong or could it have been the wind? It wasnt howling, but I did notice the Mavic moving around a bit during the still group shot. Thanks for any recommendations!View attachment 39732 View attachment 39733
I've had the exact same problems when I take pictures in raw format even when I take the picture straight after when I've focused and when I come to view on s.d card it's out of focus. Let me know if you find a fix

Gavin UK.

Mavic Pro

The Mavic in raw should do fine.

I always hit the AF to set focus then switch back to MF. There was a problem when hovering with the Mavic it would attempt to focus again. If the AF hit a spot like sky or dark low contrast it may miss the focus.
I check my focus often usually before each set of shots. It’s almost impossible to zoom in and check focus with a Apple phone or tablet since the DJI app doesn’t support the high resolution of the retina screen. Crystalsky monitors are much better in this regard.

Raw files by default should be a bit soft since no sharpening has been applied. But with a good raw converter like Lightroom or ON1 you have no problems getting a sharp file.

If your files are way out of focus you might need to open a case with DJI.

Paul C

... It’s almost impossible to zoom in and check focus with a Apple phone or tablet since the DJI app doesn’t support the high resolution of the retina screen...
Use the digital zoom on the Mavic, not your phone or tablet.

Isn’t it still zooming to the display? To me in outdoor light it’s very hard to get a good focus setting. Unless it’s an object close up. Trying to fix focus manually on a ridge line 1/4 mile off or even something within 400 feet manually I find to be a impossible task. It’s just easier to hit switch to AF, tap on the screen where I want to set focus, then switch back to MF. But next I fly I will try it again.

The focus once set and moved to MF stays in place.

The AF process similar to a iPhone works very well at least for my Mavic.

Flight time being limited to around 25 minutes this saves me a lot of time in flight.

Paul C

Isn’t it still zooming to the display? To me in outdoor light it’s very hard to get a good focus setting. Unless it’s an object close up. Trying to fix focus manually on a ridge line 1/4 mile off or even something within 400 feet manually I find to be a impossible task. It’s just easier to hit switch to AF, tap on the screen where I want to set focus, then switch back to MF. But next I fly I will try it again.

The focus once set and moved to MF stays in place.

The AF process similar to a iPhone works very well at least for my Mavic.

Flight time being limited to around 25 minutes this saves me a lot of time in flight.

Paul C
Your way works fine. If in poor light or at night it is sometimes it is easier to zoom in using the Mavic, set the focus, switch to MF to lock it, and zoom back out. Be mindful that if you set the focus on a object close up you will need to reset the focus if you back off.

You bring up an excellent point. Low light. Yes, the AF is pretty worthless in low light, and if you add a ND 16 even ND 8 it can get tricky.

The Phantom has the zoom to focus by 1/2 press of the shutter button the remote. Is this the same for the Mavic?

I need to try this as I like to work sunsets.

Paul C

No auto zoom to focus on the Mavic. I have the small RC joystick (next to the right joystick) programmed to zoom and zoom out.

Thanks, right now I have that set to the digital zoom, so I guess I have the same settings.

I use that joystick a lot to flip the sensor into portrait mode, (push down), as it' better for panos.

I tried the digital zoom a couple of times, but never really spent much time with it, I will go back and try again. On the Crystalsky the resolution is much better in normal view, so digital zoom should also be better.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka