DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Focus stacking

barrybcar

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Has anyone tried focus stacking using a drone?
I’m using an M2P and just discovered focus stacking.
Wondering if it’s worth the time trying to do it.

Has anyone tried focus stacking using a drone?
I’m using an M2P and just discovered focus stacking.
Wondering if it’s worth the time trying to do it.
What for?
Focus stacking is done to increase depth of field, but the lens on your drone's camera has a truckload of DoF and you never shoot with the subject so close that you'd need more.

Focus stacking is commonly used when doing extreme close-up photography of, say, an insect. What in the world would there be to focus stack from a drone photo? You are sharp from about 10ft to infinity.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Focus stacking is commonly used when doing extreme close-up photography of, say, an insect. What in the world would there be to focus stack from a drone photo? You are sharp from about 10ft to infinity.
My first attempt at focus stacking was of the moon. I was amazed at the clarity an detail. It appears many deep space shots are stacked as well.
Got me to wondering if it could be done on my drone for additional detail and clarity.
I’m going to try regardless. Just trying to get a head start by asking here.

My first attempt at focus stacking was of the moon. I was amazed at the clarity an detail. It appears many deep space shots are stacked as well.
Got me to wondering if it could be done on my drone for additional detail and clarity.
I’m going to try regardless. Just trying to get a head start by asking here.
Ahhh, that's different, in fact that is called stacking, not focus stacking, despite the fact that some people refer to it as focus stacking. In focus stacking of, for example, and insect in macro mode, you shoot a number of images while you change the focus point along the body of the insect. As an example, it would be facing you and you focus on the eyes then move back along the body and then stack all those different focused images on top of each other and selectively choose the points you shot in focus, to make up one all over focused image of the insect, which no macro lens is capable of in one exposure, due to the severe limiting of DoF with a macro lens.

When shooting a moon shot, you do not change the focus point, that is why it is not properly called focus stacking, but rather, simply stacking. That type of shot is very different, and you need to take into account that the earth is moving in relation to the moon, so need to make adjustments for that too. I suppose you could try it with your drone, it would be interesting to see what your results will be compared to the single image you would normally get.

As explained earlier, focus stacking is typically used for shallow depth of field....when I use my DSLR with my 105mm macro lens on, I focus stack when taking extreme close up pics like my turntable's phono cartridge and stylus. Could be as many as 150 photos that are then stacked to get the overall frame in focus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada