DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Foggy lens fix attempt

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi. I have foggy lens after I flew out in the rain. It was a horrible mistake. I'm not buying a entirely new lens. I filled the gimbal cover with rice and attached it to the drone I'm hoping for the best

Rice in the gimbal cover is A BAD IDEA in my opinion. Shattered grain bits and dust may get into places they shouldn't. Silica gel packets are almost certainly better. Note packets NOT loose beads.
Handling / shaking the drone as little as possible and with the nose pointing down I would remove the cover and rice then wipe the inside of the cover clean and with care remove dust from the gimbal, perhaps by wiping with a Q tip damped with iso propyl alcohol. Try not to push dust or bits into anything. Vacuuming might work but I would be concerned about the vacuum nozzle grabbing the gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Doc, you really need to read your drone's manual before you have another 'incident'. Like the bit that that tells you not to fly in the rain....

Rice is not a magical fix for moisture removal. It sounds good on Facebook or Twitter, but reality is a different matter.

Instead, try putting it in a warm, gentle airstream. The top of a refrigerator, especially one that's recessed into the wall, is a good option. The exhaust air stream from a computer is another.

And for some more unsolicited advice, remember that water and electronics seldom go together well.

Last edited:
At the most, I'd try a hair dryer on low/slow. Don't get the nozzle any closer that a foot and not directed at the lens very long at a time. Still have to be VERY careful.

What drone are you flying? I fly in the rain quite a lot and never had this issue with the air 2.

I only get foggy lenses when I bring the darn thing out side from inside and our humid air and have to wipe it a few times do to temp changes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627