DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow shots video technique

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I'm flying M2P with SC. I shoot mostly stills, and some video. I strive for a smooth, cinematic look. A friend has requested some help with B-Roll on an upcoming VIDEO shoot. I need to learn/perfect action follow shots (mtn bikers). I believe the optimum mode for this is Spotlight Pro. I will likely need to follow a moving subject then move ahead of the subject (looking backwards) while continuously tracking subject. This will be in a bike park, where there are no trees or power lines. I plan to practice in advance in a similar scenario.

From what I've read, Spotlight Pro tracks the subject no matter the directional orientation of the aircraft. Does this mean that I can do the fly by shot and seamlessly reorient to rear facing from a following shot? I will try to keep speed down, set gimbal movements to smoother settings. This will be a dawn shoot, so hopefully winds will be low.

As I have no experience with this mode, expert pointers from experienced videographers would be appreciated.
Gimbal Settings?
Any Spotlight Pro options or caveats?
Is it safe to transition from a forward facing to rear facing motion shot at the approx speed of a bicycle? (it will be on flat ground)

EDIT: Really, no help on this? Was hoping some pros might weigh in.

Important: a friend just sent me 2 outstanding videos shot with a Skydio. The unit tracks via beacon, worn by subject. But the view orientation can be spec'd in advance. In his case, the drone would follow, then move ahead for PERFECT rear facing tracking. It avoided trees, and when trees appeared the unit would stop, then fly around or over the trees & catch the mtn biker ahead. All movement was VERY smooth. I hope the M2P can be programmed to do this, but I doubt it. Sorry, can't share the video.

Thanks!

Last edited:
help on this? Was hoping some pros might weigh in.

Important: a friend just sent me 2 outstanding videos shot with a Skydio. The unit tracks via beacon, worn by subject. But the view orientation can be spec'd in advance. In his case, the drone would follow, then move ahead for PERFECT rear facing tracking. It avoided trees, and when trees appeared the unit would stop, then fly around or over the trees & catch the mtn biker ahead. All movement was VERY smooth. I hope the M2P can be programmed to do this, but I doubt it. Sorry, can't share the video.

Thanks!
Different tools in the toolbox

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections