DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Following Your Mavic Around A Structure

TCRay

Reactions
When using the Mavic to inspect structures; i.e. houses, silos, water towers, etc., what is the best way to "watch" your drone when it is out of the line of sight? I want to be able to orient it for best shots as well as avoid colliding with anything.

Is there a way to watch it on a display? I use the Nexus 7 attached to a MavMount.

Thanks for any help!

Do you mean out of sight like behind a structure? If so, you shoudln't do that as it will most likely cause the remote controller to disconnect.

You should have a spotter to watch your drone while you focus on positioning the camera angle.
But, as stated by msinger it's not wise to do it for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the replies. The only practical reason that I would be on the other side of a structure is for a brief period, like doing a structural inspection for farm silos, roofs, etc. I guess it would just be best, if possible, to follow the drone around the structure. Sometimes that is not practical because of terrain or other obstructions.

The only practical reason that I would be on the other side of a structure is for a brief period, like doing a structural inspection for farm silos, roofs, etc.
Have you ever successfully done this?

Got it. Because my next question would have been how did you keep the remote controller connected to the Mavic? ;)

I maybe assumed that the signal would be strong enough at a close distance so that there would not be interruption. Maybe I assume incorrectly!!

I wonder then how some people with a drone business (which I am laying plans to start) do structural inspections of various sorts. Are they always in line of sight? Do they always have a spotter?

On my controller I have the Maxx Mod that came with 3 different antennas that I can choose from. I was thinking it would help with the matter that we are discussing, the avoidance of signal loss.

Thank you again for your time to reply!! I really appreciate it!

Have flow mine from inside of house all the way around with metal roof. As long as ur not far the signal just gets alittle weak. Just go slow and be careful.

Last edited:
You could plan your flight using Litchi, which will allow you to store the mission in the Mavic, not the controller. If connectivity is lost, the Mavic will complete the planned flight, and return to land at the predetermined home point

Reactions: chadrob30
I maybe assumed that the signal would be strong enough at a close distance so that there would not be interruption. Maybe I assume incorrectly!!

I wonder then how some people with a drone business (which I am laying plans to start) do structural inspections of various sorts. Are they always in line of sight? Do they always have a spotter?

On my controller I have the Maxx Mod that came with 3 different antennas that I can choose from. I was thinking it would help with the matter that we are discussing, the avoidance of signal loss.

Thank you again for your time to reply!! I really appreciate it!
Hello,

I regularly use my MPP for home inspections on roofs (2-story homes) in Texas. Most times I can fly around, say, a chimney, temporarily losing sight of the drone itself without losing the controller signal (I've been flying r/c a LONG time...I recommend not doing this if you aren't confident in your cognitive FPV skills, lol).

For the opposite side of the house, I just walk around to it. For me, getting that great shot is important enough to take the time to go to the opposite side of the house. You may not have that option.

I tried 2-3 times to fly out of line of sight on the other side of the house. While I am skillful enough to do that, the controller strength was down about 50%. Personally, I just didn't want to chance it, as I also have to deal with people watching me, real estate agents, neighbors, etc. A flyaway or RTH scenario would not look very professional, lol.

While it's possible that it may be done, and some will say it's okay...for me, personally, I just take the time to find another approach. Safer, and less likely to lose my bird.

Happy Droning!
Kevin

How about flying at a higher altitude? A simple way to maintain VLOS most of the time.

Even when filming from a distance, 4k footage has enough resolution to either allow cropping in pp or to zoom in on your monitor to spot those cracked tiles on your roof...

Last edited:
I didn't have any problems with small buildings like a clock tower

What do you think about signal enhancers for antennas?

How about flying at a higher altitude? A simple way to maintain VLOS most of the time.

Even when filming from a distance, 4k footage has enough resolution to either allow cropping in pp or to zoom in on your monitor to spot those cracked tiles on your roof...

I agree. And I do this often. Once in awhile, there may be mitigating circumstances (i.e. overhanging limb with clearance on steep, 1-story roof, etc.) and IF I feel safe enough, I can slip in there and get the shot I need.

Most of the time I can fly higher, and digitally zoom in post (I use the Adobe suite, so PS is my go-to editor), as I am not trying for hi-res shots for reproduction, etc. I agree that altitude is your friend, and use that approach whenever possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78