DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

for all you new pilots

I DO use an iPad mini 4 normally but I've used my Note 8 with no issues and now my Note 9 I just bought last month works flawlessly... So far. Lol. Actually, I would like to use my Note 9 more... Maybe even do away with the mini iPad altogether... I dunt know if that's recommended or not, though.. Lol

I bought my Mavic Air 2nd hand privately. Previous owner hardly used it... he had an LG phone... but my conviction is that ONLY iPhones are good for this. I don't know how the Air monitors the wind... internal gyroscopes, likely... but when it tells me that wind is high (over 25 kph) I bring her back!
In simple terms, it knows based on how much effort it takes for it to maintain course/position.

Yes you will. The drone sensors, not the controller software, send this info back. I am just saying that anything like Android (unlike Apple software) is mostly unreliable as a controller device. I will not risk my drone to a cheapie smartphone.
You're basing this statement on what?

Interesting how in the USA, there are so many required regulations to follow. Such as registration and bylaws etc. Here in Canada, you don't need to register your drone. However, most drones do have built-in software that will automatically detect the presence of nearby airports and will not allow you to fly there. makes sense - i am not going to argue with bigger planes! Also (in Canada) we have fewer restrictions regarding parks and rec areas. We are more a frontier country here, thank God. Common sense should always prevail, of course. In regards to trying to practice inside a building, always remember to set your maximum RTH height at about 2-3 feet, not 100 ft! Tape your phone number inside the drone somewhere (battery compartment works fine, and on your expensive battery too... it could fall out. make sure your GPS tracking is on so you can maybe track a lost drone on your controller using Google maps etc.

Never fly out of sight until you are very good at it. Never over water or busy highways or IN a forest, until you learn to trust the auto guidance and object avoidance sensors of your drone. Never fly in snowy, windy or rainy weather. Not worth it, believe me. Always obey "low battery" warnings and weak signal warnings. I almost lost my drone twice (it got out of line-of-sight) but fortunately came back on its auto RTH feature. Use common sense... these drones are very 'smart' but not as smart as the operator. Cheers.
I've heard many complaint that Canada has too many restrictions.

Most non-DJI quads don't have Geo fencing. That's why many here threaten to stop using DJI and go to another brand when they suddenly have issues flying where they could before.

You can't set RTH height that low. The best option indoors for signal loss is hover.

hi all you new pilots so you got a UAV for christmas whether you had it as a gift or you purchased it yourself,it is a expensive investment although some might disagree it is not a toy and it requires a level of understanding before taking to the air i know you are all keen to get your UAV flying but please allow me to give you some tips before you do.

(1) do follow the instructions and set your UAV up correctly it requires patience and is important if you want to fly successfully.
(2) please do not try to fly in your home as it will probably end in damage to the UAV or injury to you or a family member.
(3)please use this forum to seek advise there are people on here with much more experience than me who will help.
(4)please learn to fly your UAV manually before relying on the auto functions so you are able to take control in the event of a malfunction it could save you from a damaged UAV.
(5) enjoy your new hobby and i hope you have many hours of flying and fly legally and responsibly so we can all enjoy this hobby for many years to come
good advice from last year

Reactions: TTP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure