DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

for all you new pilots

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hi all you new pilots so you got a UAV for christmas whether you had it as a gift or you purchased it yourself,it is a expensive investment although some might disagree it is not a toy and it requires a level of understanding before taking to the air i know you are all keen to get your UAV flying but please allow me to give you some tips before you do.

(1) do follow the instructions and set your UAV up correctly it requires patience and is important if you want to fly successfully.
(2) please do not try to fly in your home as it will probably end in damage to the UAV or injury to you or a family member.
(3)please use this forum to seek advise there are people on here with much more experience than me who will help.
(4)please learn to fly your UAV manually before relying on the auto functions so you are able to take control in the event of a malfunction it could save you from a damaged UAV.
(5) enjoy your new hobby and i hope you have many hours of flying and fly legally and responsibly so we can all enjoy this hobby for many years to come

Last edited:
hi all you new pilots so you got a UAV for christmas whether you had it as a gift or you purchased it yourself,it is a expensive investment although some might disagree it is not a toy and it requires a level of understanding before taking to the air i know you are all keen to get your UAV flying but please allow me to give you some tips before you do.

(1) do follow the instuctions and set your UAV up correctly it reqires patience and is important if you want to fly sucessfully.
(2) please do not try to fly in your home as it will probably end in damage to the UAV or injury to you or a family member.
(3)please use this forum to seek advise there are people on here with much more experience than me who will help.
(4)please learn to fly your UAV manually before relying on the auto fuctions so you are able to take controll in the event of a malfunction it could save you from a damaged UAV.
(5) enjoy your new hobby and i hope you have many hours of flying and fly legally and responsibly so we can all enjoy this hobby for many years to come
I would add that if they've never flown a drone before that they not learn to fly on an expensive piece of equipment. A mini drone that can be flown indoors can be had for under $30 and is a good way to learn to fly manually. Either that or try to enlist someone that knows what their doing. And as you've indicated in #1, educate yourself on how your drone works along with the rules, etc.

Reactions: Porky
I suspect typing error (missed the word "not" or misspelled "don't") since it otherwise contradicts the 2nd sentence.

Looks all right to me .
FaroffHappyBrant-size_restricted.gif

Good idea to stay away from water until you fully understand how RTH works and how much stronger winds can be just 100' up. When possible have the wind at your drones back for the return flight.

Reactions: vanderzyde0
Just funny how same person can write about “feeling no sympathy” in one post and “do fly near airports” in another post.
I would say it’s a pattern. Not typo.
Especially when it was edited not by him but by mods.

Go to a big open field with no obstacles like trees, phone poles, etc. and start out doing simple maneuvers and get used to how the controls react. Flying figure eights works well for that.
Other than that and previously mentioned good points, have fun!

(1) do follow the instuctions and set your UAV up correctly it reqires patience and is important if you want to fly sucessfully.
(4)please learn to fly your UAV manually before relying on the auto fuctions so you are able to take controll in the event of a malfunction it could save you from a damaged UAV.
That’s absolutely great advice for new pilots! Thanks for posting this for everyone who received one for Christmas.
And happy and safe flying for everyone this new year.

Reactions: old man mavic
That’s absolutely great advice for new pilots! Thanks for posting this for everyone who received one for Christmas.
And happy and safe flying for everyone this new year.
thankyou for your comments hope you have a great new year

I would add that if they've never flown a drone before that they not learn to fly on an expensive piece of equipment. A mini drone that can be flown indoors can be had for under $30 and is a good way to learn to fly manually. Either that or try to enlist someone that knows what their doing. And as you've indicated in #1, educate yourself on how your drone works along with the rules, etc.

Interesting how in the USA, there are so many required regulations to follow. Such as registration and bylaws etc. Here in Canada, you don't need to register your drone. However, most drones do have built-in software that will automatically detect the presence of nearby airports and will not allow you to fly there. makes sense - i am not going to argue with bigger planes! Also (in Canada) we have fewer restrictions regarding parks and rec areas. We are more a frontier country here, thank God. Common sense should always prevail, of course. In regards to trying to practice inside a building, always remember to set your maximum RTH height at about 2-3 feet, not 100 ft! Tape your phone number inside the drone somewhere (battery compartment works fine, and on your expensive battery too... it could fall out. make sure your GPS tracking is on so you can maybe track a lost drone on your controller using Google maps etc.

Never fly out of sight until you are very good at it. Never over water or busy highways or IN a forest, until you learn to trust the auto guidance and object avoidance sensors of your drone. Never fly in snowy, windy or rainy weather. Not worth it, believe me. Always obey "low battery" warnings and weak signal warnings. I almost lost my drone twice (it got out of line-of-sight) but fortunately came back on its auto RTH feature. Use common sense... these drones are very 'smart' but not as smart as the operator. Cheers.

Reactions: old man mavic
Again, the wind is much stronger just 50-100' up and they keep getting stronger the higher you fly. It sucks to see so many lose their birds recently because of wind.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Never fly out of sight until you are very good at it.
In the USA, never fly out of sight, doesn't matter if you're good at it, it's against the rules.

Just funny how same person can write about “feeling no sympathy” in one post and “do fly near airports” in another post.
I would say it’s a pattern. Not typo.
Especially when it was edited not by him but by mods.
I would consider this a red flag and keep an eye on these types of posts mentioned which can cause great misunderstanding and mistrust on this site. I understand sarcasm but that hasn't been the issue in said multiple posts. Not singling anyone out, just mentioning it to aknowledge awareness of a potential future issue.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 24
Again, the wind is much stronger just 50-100' up and they keep getting stronger the higher you fly. It sucks to see so many lose their birds recently because of wind.

I bought my Mavic Air 2nd hand privately. Previous owner hardly used it... he had an LG phone... but my conviction is that ONLY iPhones are good for this. I don't know how the Air monitors the wind... internal gyroscopes, likely... but when it tells me that wind is high (over 25 kph) I bring her back!

You will get wind warnings regardless of what make of phone you are using.

You will get wind warnings regardless of what make of phone you are using.
Yes you will. The drone sensors, not the controller software, send this info back. I am just saying that anything like Android (unlike Apple software) is mostly unreliable as a controller device. I will not risk my drone to a cheapie smartphone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke