DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For people taking off from the car hood

Like the tip about landing on the roof. Sounds ideal for me, as I have full length glass sunroof. Unfortunately as I'am a bit of a shorty I would need a stepladder to reach it. :)

Like the tip about landing on the roof. Sounds ideal for me, as I have full length glass sunroof. Unfortunately as I'am a bit of a shorty I would need a stepladder to reach it. :)

Alan,
I open the back door and stand on the back floor while holding on to the handle inside above the door opening. It's a bit of a balancing act so I try to land as near the back as possibe!
I'm living in USA. Shipped my Landy from England. You have to love 'em.

Eric

Hi Eric
My back door is a lift up. I could smash the window on the back door, but even a daft Scott like myself can see this is not a long term strategy. I thought landyies were available in the USA. It must have cost a fortune to import. If you move out of the urban areas over he, the roads are polluted with them. Usually towing a horsebox and holding up traffic.

Great tip!

Another common problem area is concrete sidewalks (most of which contain rebar). You really want to make sure the Mavic is not near any type of magnetic metal objects when powering it on and/or taking off.

Also, people have started saying Smart Watches mess up the compass, makes sense.

I bought my MA so that I could take photos and videos of my house being built. All this talk about magnetic influence causing problems is probably why I had mysterious unexplained noises coming from the controller/ipad recently. The building site is surrounded by a six ft metal security fence. I was taking off from a concrete drain cover in the footpath only a few feet from the fence. I took off and let it stabilize then lifted it up and over the fence to take some photos. That's when the beeping started. It spooked me so much I brought it back quickly and landed it. Later in a nice open park it flew completely normal. I saw no messages on the screen. So now I don't know if I will be able to do what I mainly bought it for.

“There is a material that shields magnetic fields called "mumetal". It was used in old CRT instruments to shield the CRT from magnetic fields that might interfere with the electron beam deflection. Search mumetal. There is a wiki on it.

Eric”

Mu metal is great for shielding earth’s magnetic field inside a container surrounded by mu metal. I used it to shield photomultipliers. But outside the shielding, mu metal will distort the earth’s magnetic field just like any other ferromagnetic material such as iron rebar or automobile engines. So unfortunately covering ferromagnetic metal with mu metal will only make matters worse. But surrounding a magnet with mu metal would decrease the magnetic field intensity outside the shielding.

When I try to take off from the bonnet of my Defender it gives magnetic interference error. The bonnet is aluminium but just below it is a huge chunk of cast iron called the engine. I can take off and land on the roof at the rear of the vehicle without problems.
There is a material that shields magnetic fields called "mumetal". It was used in old CRT instruments to shield the CRT from magnetic fields that might interfere with the electron beam deflection. Search mumetal. There is a wiki on it.

Eric
Funny, on my bonnet my I2 usually shows no problems. It''s a 2002 TD5 by the way. Maybe your bonnet is extra reinforced for a spare wheel? If I want a spare wheel on the bonnet I would have to get me a different bonnet hood. My Inspire1 doesn't object anyway. Since it's easy to hand launch and catch the Mavic I haven't tried it with that yet. I suspect that the Mavic's compass is a bit more sensitive to outside interference. I have a steel enforced garden table with a glass top. The I1 never complains however the Mavic often (funny, not always) shows a interference error if I try to take off from that.

I know that metal, I have always used a sheet of 'MU metal' to get rid of humm when I placed a analog synthesizer on top of my Fender Rhodes piano, more than 30 years ago. Could be really handy for us mavic pilots. Too bad I tossed mine away after selling the Rhodes.

Good tip!

“There is a material that shields magnetic fields called "mumetal". It was used in old CRT instruments to shield the CRT from magnetic fields that might interfere with the electron beam deflection. Search mumetal. There is a wiki on it.

Eric”

Mu metal is great for shielding earth’s magnetic field inside a container surrounded by mu metal. I used it to shield photomultipliers. But outside the shielding, mu metal will distort the earth’s magnetic field just like any other ferromagnetic material such as iron rebar or automobile engines. So unfortunately covering ferromagnetic metal with mu metal will only make matters worse. But surrounding a magnet with mu metal would decrease the magnetic field intensity outside the shielding.
OK, someone with some MU metal sheet lying around has to try it I guess.

You guys might find this funny. One time I was shooting one of the first movies I've ever done, and this scene was a bunch of special forces guys storming a battleship.

As part of my tech scout the day before, i fired up the bird on the forward deck to check my shots, etc.

I got the warning that there was interference, and to move the bird away from any metal. i looked around to see what might be causing it.

That's when I realized I was on the very metal deck of one of the biggest manmade metal objects ever to sail the seas, the USS North Carolina, laughed at myself, and moved off the ship to shoot.

If you're stuck, rest the remote on the car and rest the AIR on your flat open hand, and use the 'auto take off' option on the Go 4 App.

Ian

Just got my drone a few weeks ago so still learning about it. If I am too close to a car I have to get maybe 30 feet away from it to not have compass error. I have a Geo Tracker and it has a fiberglass hardtop on it and I can take off and land on the fiberglass top with no issues. I even did a return to home landing once and it landed within a few inches of takeoff position. If I dont want or cant take off or land on the ground I do it from the top of my tracker.

Attachments

• drone on roof.jpg
    drone on roof.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 20
I take off from the bonnet of my old Landrover Defender frequently, when the ground is not suitable. Landing on the bonnet with an I1 is not really an option. I sometimes have a piece of board on the roof rack which allows me to take off and land safely, even while standing on it myself. The Defender body is all aluminium and doesn't interfere with the compass, as I have tested many times.

View attachment 35178
Nice Truck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78