DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For those that want to use Final Cut Pro and don't already have it.

otacon

Reactions
For those that don't know, you can get the Pro Apps Bundle for Education for $199 by simply adding it to your cart and checking out. The bundle includes full copies of: Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Logic Pro and Mainstage 3. You don't have to verify anything. I actually am taking some college courses online and was fully prepared to go through the Unidays student verification but it was never needed. I bought it just to get FCP for $199 instead of $299. The other apps are nice to have though. I figure Apple will close this loophole at some point.

I'd really like to try it, but I'm in the PC "Metaverse".

Reactions: zeusfl
For those that don't know, you can get the Pro Apps Bundle for Education for $199 by simply adding it to your cart and checking out. The bundle includes full copies of: Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Logic Pro and Mainstage 3. You don't have to verify anything. I actually am taking some college courses online and was fully prepared to go through the Unidays student verification but it was never needed. I bought it just to get FCP for $199 instead of $299. The other apps are nice to have though. I figure Apple will close this loophole at some point.
Pretty cool. Do you think automatic updates will come with that?

Pretty cool. Do you think automatic updates will come with that?
"The bundle is the full versions of each app as if you purchased them normally through the App Store. There is no time limit to ownership of the bundle and its apps."

When Apple finally moves to v11 there will probably be an upgrade fee but that would apply to anyone running v10.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I'd really like to try it, but I'm in the PC "Metaverse".

I was a Windows guy forever until Adobe, and many others, switched to subscription based services. I feel once you buy a standalone piece of software you should not have to keep paying for it every year except for major updates. macOS software isn't immune to this either but I don't believe Apple will ever go subscription to it's core software products. Plus their OS upgrades are all free. In using Premiere and FCP I prefer FCP for color correcting and grading video as I shoot in HLG 90% of the time and DLOG the rest. I can scrub, color correct & grade in a few clicks of the mouse. Nothing wrong with Premiere or other software that do the same thing I just prefer FCP.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I was a Windows guy forever until Adobe, and many others, switched to subscription based services. I feel once you buy a standalone piece of software you should not have to keep paying for it every year except for major updates. macOS software isn't immune to this either but I don't believe Apple will ever go subscription to it's core software products. Plus their OS upgrades are all free. In using Premiere and FCP I prefer FCP for color correcting and grading video as I shoot in HLG 90% of the time and DLOG the rest. I can scrub, color correct & grade in a few clicks of the mouse. Nothing wrong with Premiere or other software that do the same thing I just prefer FCP.
Me too… love HLG and the Wide Gamut project. Easy peasy to adjust.

I was just sayin'. I use Davinci Resolve Studio. $300... and I got a free speed editor, a solid piece of equipment. And, I got to try the full blown FREE version of it for months (and could have continued indefinitely) before upgrading. It's interesting to note for those of us into language and semantics that BMD didn't call their upgraded version the "pro" model, but the studio, which to me nods that their free version is no joke... and it certainly isn't.

You don't have to verify anything. I actually am taking some college courses online and was fully prepared to go through the Unidays student verification but it was never needed.
Thanks for sharing this information. Just curious though, do you happen to have an educational email? I was wondering if this is the reason you were never asked to verify.

Since this sounds like a few knowledgeable folks here in this discussion, maybe you can help me pick the proper video format to use on my new Mavic 3, (non-cine version)? I've got some experience shooting with Red Raw, (which I converted to ProRes to edit), and Sony slog3 editing in Premiere Pro or Rush. I am Mac based so using FCP is also an option if it means better results. I've looked through all the manuals that come with the drone but none seem to discuss the video very deeply. What is recommended for the ultimate quality for editing with final output for my clients who usually just go to websites or Youtube? I assume D-Log or h.264 or 265? What will give me the least compression and most dynamic range? I realize if I had the Cine version it would be ProRes, but that's not an option right now.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Since this sounds like a few knowledgeable folks here in this discussion, maybe you can help me pick the proper video format to use on my new Mavic 3, (non-cine version)? I've got some experience shooting with Red Raw, (which I converted to ProRes to edit), and Sony slog3 editing in Premiere Pro or Rush. I am Mac based so using FCP is also an option if it means better results. I've looked through all the manuals that come with the drone but none seem to discuss the video very deeply. What is recommended for the ultimate quality for editing with final output for my clients who usually just go to websites or Youtube? I assume D-Log or h.264 or 265? What will give me the least compression and most dynamic range? I realize if I had the Cine version it would be ProRes, but that's not an option right now.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
If you're shooting in 4K and above (not sure why you wouldn't be) I'd use H.265. You may want to post in a Mavic 3 specific forum as well. I use FCP as it's just faster for me to color correct and grade video.

My workflow works for both FCPX and Resolve 17

Since editing is where I spend much of my time, I transcode everything to ProRes HQ. This gives me the highest quality copy of DJI input. The input choice can be any of the DJI options for color space. Image resolution is unaffected.

The color space choice is whatever works best for you in editing and your target output space. If you are going to a HDR output, you should go for an native HDR format. If you are delivering in UHD or lower resolution, either H.264 or H.265 are good choices. D-log probably dives you the most dynamic range, but requires color and gamma adjustments immediately to get something that is fun to edit.

From the editing final, output either H.264 or 65. They are equivalent quality with significant reduction in file size and image quality. H.265 is much more compute intensive requiring more time to encode for the smaller file size.

Both YouTube and VIMEO will te-encode whatever you upload to their own encoder settings, so it doesn’t matter to the streaming output what you upload.

Reactions: otacon
I did a lot more video about 10 years ago but didn't keep up with the trends. Never really thought about HDR output. I don't think Youtube or websites support any of those yet although our phones probably do. Thanks for the tips.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3