DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forget about the Sky: Air 2 got the Power

Flying Low over the Water is a blast and so is flying in the Worst of Storms but Capturing Waves might be our next Go to.

We have the Power from the Air 2 so were hoping to capture some Pictures like this one below.
What would be the ideal capture setting on the Air 2 for this as were thinking just 4K at 60 Frames to get the ideal frame.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on Water.

View attachment 123199

These were shot from a woman Photographer as posted below.

You've Never Seen Waves Like This Before

View attachment 123200

Obviously there is some editing involved to get these colors , but I think if we can capture the scope of the Picture we can come close .

This looks like a blast and a perfect Set Up for Phantomrain Clients.

If you already have some Award winning Pictures very similar to this taken from a Low Perspective from the Air 2 Please Post them. I am thinking there are not to many but soon will be. .. :p
Look at the spray off the tops of those waves. There is a huge amount of wind happening and your drone would be blown away, if you tried to fly in those weather conditions.

Look at the spray off the tops of those waves. There is a huge amount of wind happening and your drone would be blown away, if you tried to fly in those weather conditions.

I dont think the wind is going to be the issue as just having the timing of the capture . We fly in extreme winds all the time and the drones are getting much better at it , especially the Air 2S with the bigger Gimbal. Were loving that.

Were still going after Wave Pictures this year , once the storm season hits, the lake being that it is not salt water might give me the advantage but the waves are seldom high but offer some potential when crashing into the Rocks .

The key is those Photographers were in the water so they can shoot low into the wave , that could help with the wind also . But i do think those winds were not suitable in those pictures taken but just great examples of what might be possible.

I am always looking for the Adventure .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain an Land on the Water.

I dont think the wind is going to be the issue as just having the timing of the capture . We fly in extreme winds all the time and the drones are getting much better at it , especially the Air 2S with the bigger Gimbal. Were loving that.

Were still going after Wave Pictures this year , once the storm season hits, the lake being that it is not salt water might give me the advantage but the waves are seldom high but offer some potential when crashing into the Rocks .

The key is those Photographers were in the water so they can shoot low into the wave , that could help with the wind also . But i do think those winds were not suitable in those pictures taken but just great examples of what might be possible.

I am always looking for the Adventure .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain an Land on the Water.
I am from the UK and we lived near the ocean and I can tell you that the water whipping off the tops of those waves meant that the wind had to be well in excess of 25 knots and that would not be a condition that you could fly your drone in. I have a M2P and I know it would not be flyable in such winds.

As for getting lower down in the wave to get less wind, that is totally impossible because the wind would only be slightly less for a few seconds and the sea would rise up and take your drone out, if you were flying that low. With that said you would have to get out there to get such photos and the journey to your destination would not be possible in such winds.

I now live in the USA and right on Lake Erie and have seen some great waves here too. However, there is still that nasty wind to contend with and the conditions where we get those big waves are also the wind conditions that would prevent flying.

Getting some waves crashing on rocks is of course, a different thing altogether and would not be the same wind conditions as seen in the wave photos shown in this thread. Good luck with your attempts though.

Do remember that being on land and shooting into such a sea gives an entirely different perspective than that of even 10 feet above the water surface, like that which would be a minimum height to be at to take big wave photos. You won't be able to get the same dramatic effect from a drone as you would being at the seas level with a long telephoto lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Were both flying Lake Erie , you ever want to loose your drone in the lake with me let me know. :p

Most likely my attempts will fail, but the Reward of getting my own Wave Picture that might look like Godzilla is to much for me not to make some attempts.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Land on Water.

Were both flying Lake Erie , you ever want to loose your drone in the lake with me let me know. :p

Most likely my attempts will fail, but the Reward of getting my own Wave Picture that might look like Godzilla is to much for me not to make some attempts.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Land on Water.
What area are you in?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11