DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forget about the Sky: Air 2 got the Power

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Flying Low over the Water is a blast and so is flying in the Worst of Storms but Capturing Waves might be our next Go to.

We have the Power from the Air 2 so were hoping to capture some Pictures like this one below.
What would be the ideal capture setting on the Air 2 for this as were thinking just 4K at 60 Frames to get the ideal frame.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on Water.

fluke shot.jpg

These were shot from a woman Photographer as posted below.

You've Never Seen Waves Like This Before

Screenshot 02-05-2021 14.53.49.jpg

Obviously there is some editing involved to get these colors , but I think if we can capture the scope of the Picture we can come close .

This looks like a blast and a perfect Set Up for Phantomrain Clients.

If you already have some Award winning Pictures very similar to this taken from a Low Perspective from the Air 2 Please Post them. I am thinking there are not to many but soon will be. .. :p

Last edited:
That looks nasty my guess is that you'll lose your drone.
If it means capturing this guy in a Rocking Chair, its worth it. :p

I could be inside my Car , with the winds Howling and Capture some Ocean god coming out of its tomb.

Screenshot 02-05-2021 15.30.37.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain , fly low and capture an Ocean God.

I was thinking more of water crashing into the Rocks , which would be a good start to capturing something like this in a Photograph and the editing learning curve required to finish the Picture.

Beautiful Photos. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I sure wouldn't use my own drone to take a picture of a wave like that. lol.

Update: First attempt lol : Surprise images appear.

I took this for proof of concept that you can get these strange images to appear.

One thing is for sure your going to need a Wet Suit to run with the waves.
Next thing to try now is an actual photo of the waves .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Waves . :p

Screenshot 02-06-2021 13.10.52.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Verdrone
Update: Are first test flight

Well we took 1 Shot at it this and captured 3 skulls at the top of the wave and 1 face , Unbelievable.
Now if only we had taken the High Res Picture and not just a frame from the recording.

Lake waves : not to strong : {

I think i can see a Hump Back Whale, and inspire drone , lollll

No doubt about it to capture waves your going to need Phantomrain Gear.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Waves . :p

View attachment 123215

The closer you would get obvious wind the wind with wave induced local turbulence combined with Salt water high density mist ingested for cooling the electronics through those cooling vents...what could go wrong?

Flying Low over the Water is a blast and so is flying in the Worst of Storms but Capturing Waves might be our next Go to.

We have the Power from the Air 2 so were hoping to capture some Pictures like this one below.
What would be the ideal capture setting on the Air 2 for this as were thinking just 4K at 60 Frames to get the ideal frame.

Phantomrain.org

View attachment 123199

The guy that shoots these goes into the Water with Scuba Gear , I think we can surpass that with the Air 2 / Mavic 2

View attachment 123200

Obviously there is some editing involved to get these colors , but I think if we can capture the scope of the Picture we can come close .

If you already have some Award winning Pictures very similar to this taken from a Low Perspective from the Air 2 Please Post them. I am thinking there are not to many but soon will be. .. :p
These photos were shot in Port Stanley. Ontario Canada. Here is his website. Dave Sandford International award winning photographer

I sure wouldn't use my own drone to take a picture of a wave like that. lol.

With the Air2 "digital" zoom in video mode - you wouldn't even have to be close to capture that. Since 4k only allows 2x - then you'd be closer; but at 1080 with 4x - got a lot of distance to play with.

Some droners are freaks (in a good way) and they push the envelope as much as they can - crashing a drone is part of the learning process. A buddy of mine used to race drones and the spaces he flies in just are crazy - like flying thru the doors of a minivan - that has sliding doors on each side. We're not talking slow speed either - it's like max throttle.

Myself - like many of you do not have the eye to hand dexterity that doing this kind of stuff requires; plus I don't want to explain to the wife HOW I crashed a $1k drone and did not get it back. :confused:

You can only TRY IT and i'd start with 1080 at 4x and max FPS to see how it comes out. Then advance to 4k at 2x and see the difference.

ALL I CAN SAY IS - GO FOR IT!

Phantomrain.org

View attachment 123199

The guy that shoots these goes into the Water with Scuba Gear , I think we can surpass that with the Air 2 / Mavic 2

View attachment 123200

@Phantomrain.org . I am confused.are u saying these pics were shot with a drone? NVM. I just re-read.

These photos were shot in Port Stanley. Ontario Canada. Here is his website. Dave Sandford International award winning photographer

Yes exactly , He gets in the Water with a Scuba Wet Suit in freezing Temperatures.

Thus I am thinking something similar could be done , but I was not sure I could Capture Faces in the water but after just
one pathetic attempt I think it can be done with some excellent results.

If you watch me flying the in below zero weather over the lake ,i can see the potential as waves start to freeze and winds pick up.

Im looking forward to the next attempt .
Thank you.

I think its proof of concept that images do appear , very cool .

Screenshot 02-06-2021 13.10.52.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain and Snow and thru the splash of the waves.

Last edited:
They weren't shot in Ontario by a guy in scuba gear. Look at the link I posted, those exact photos are on the woman's gallery.

Here's an article on Wired about her and the photos.

Seems there are two Photographers that shoot these kinds of Pictures.
so your are correct: The photos I posted were from Rachael but David Sandford also shoots similar pictures with a diving suit .

There both amazing displays of what can be captured by focusing in on the Waves .

Thank you , I am adding them both to my collection of what is possible.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow and thru the Waves.

Thank you for this link. I was impressed by the photos but didn't see a reference to the actual photographer other than "... from a woman photographer..." in the original post. Thanks for citing the amazing photographer who took these photos. She's got some other fantastic shots on her site!

Reactions: teeroy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest