DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forgot to hit record.....

Shamrock135

Reactions
Hi Folks, is their a setting that starts recording video as soo a s you take off or at least a reminder to hit record on RC ... I had this epic video ( I thought) of sun hitting the rocks by the ocean.. got home and realised I’d never hit the button ?

If you control your Aircraft with Litchi, it has a setting that will start and stop the camera automatically for your flight.

Don't feel too bad you're not the only one. I did the same thing years back flying with a huge flock of geese. I was right in the thick of them and followed the whole group to the edge of a huge field. When I got home and checked there was no footage. :oops::oops: It happens unfortunately.

Don't feel too bad you're not the only one. I did the same thing years back flying with a huge flock of geese. I was right in the thick of them and followed the whole group to the edge of a huge field. When I got home and checked there was no footage. :oops::oops: It happens unfortunately.
Were you able to keep up with them. Did they get spooked or try to attack? I have been debating flying with them as they come back this way.

They didn't try to attack, but to be honest they were spooked. In hindsight it probably a bad idea. But, my intention wasn't to be in the thick of them, I only wanted to fly with them from the side, it didn't turn out that way.
Also I was flying a rc plane not a drone. Seems birds are more threatened by that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cav01c14
Hi Folks, is their a setting that starts recording video as soo a s you take off or at least a reminder to hit record on RC ... I had this epic video ( I thought) of sun hitting the rocks by the ocean.. got home and realised I’d never hit the button ?
Yes, it's called a pilot preflight checklist! Don't launch without one! ?

I wish Dji would incorporate an auto record function in the firmware I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgot to hit the button

Sell it and buy a Skydio 2. They don't have self destruct features like manual camera focus and camera not on. They are all grown up.

Reactions: jimlips
Christmas Eve 2019 I fallowed Santa Clause for half a mile but when I checked the video I had forgot to hit the record button.

Christmas Eve 2019 I fallowed Santa Clause for half a mile but when I checked the video I had forgot to hit the record button.
Do you know how many times I've heard that story??

Reactions: careless
I wish Dji would incorporate an auto record function in the firmware I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgot to hit the button
The more painful the loss is, the more determined you will be to avoid it in the future. Been there, done that. Only happens now when I get thrown out of my usual routine, by doing something different, like starting video recording, and then wanting to set the default still mode to Spherical Pano, which requires turning the video off, and then switching back to video, and then forgetting to turn it back on again! First time again in a very long time! Still painful! You go to turn video off when landing, and realize it was never on! Oops! ?

Reactions: careless
Just now un-deflating myself from that miserable realization that all that wonderful, highly anticipated video was actually 2 sec of bird on the ground worm's eye view. Now Ive posted before about this and obviously it's not unheard of to forget to hit record. But what happened to me today was fat thumbs. I definitely pressed the video record button at the top left edge of RC controller. I think while fidgeting with the gimbal pitch adjustment wheel I accidentally toggled the record button. Is this possible or even likely? Or am I just looking for an excuse not to consider myself a DUMMY- again.

Be mindful that in starting the video at takoff you may need to adjust the focus at elevation.

When recording video I always check the counter to verify that it is increasing.

Thank you. "Mindful" is the word of the day for me. Plenty of things to check and be mindful of. I was tracking my wife push our grand daughter in stroller around the neighborhood across the street at 70' - 130' so I was following their path manual steering, requiring several gimbal adjustments. Looking up to confirm VLOS is just about a full time job. Nice and safe- nothing around. Learning to trust what can be trusted leaving time to check on what needs to be verified. I had been relying on the LCD screen flashes 'REC' next time up I'll eye ball that counter. I was getting over exposure stripes- not even sure yet on how to compensate for that on the literal fly (EV +/-) and or f-stop. Need to develop a routine pre-flight check list. I'd like to make a waypoint mission of the circuit that they walk. Baby steps...ha. The pilots that can fly well while able to process all the in-flight feedback data and concentrate on the cinematography/filters/photographic basics are who I wanna be when I grow up (I'm 62)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs