DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forgot to record

scott492010

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I went and tried to get some video of some fireworks tonight and after i got home and attempted to upload my video from the microsd card i realized i somehow did not record any of it. I thought well...maybe it is at least the flight is saved in cache or something..... the only thing in cache is from May 2024. I have a air 2s using the fly app. Can anyone explain to me how to set it up so all flights are saved in cache or whatever in case this ever happens again. Or any other advice would be welcome. I cannot begin to describe the anxiety this has caused me.

I'm a big fan of auto-record options as in turning them on. Whenever it is available, I have it so that when the rotors start, so does the camera recording. If I don't want it, I hit the STOP button but that's usually to mark a place and then go right back to START. I believe in large microsd cards so more footage is better, no such thing as too much footage. My post-production software/hardware does a great job of helping me wade thru all the extra minutes of video. For those drones that do not have this option, I have developed the habit to always start recording just before or right after I start rotors and let it run until I land. No exceptions. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Reactions: scott492010
I think that's happened to all of us at some point or other, and yes, it's a horrible feeling when all your efforts have come to nought thanks to the joy of human error.

As far as general advice goes, mine is much the same as the above - if you do a single recording for each flight and make that part of your pre-take-off checklist it becomes habit to do it every time. Just before that step on my list is activating controller recording as well, so that even if something goes wrong with the main record there is still a 1080 version in the remote. And if you do that to a separate card, it also covers you with a spare card for if you ever get to the field to find you are missing one in the craft because you forgot to put it back after last session.

I went and tried to get some video of some fireworks tonight and after i got home and attempted to upload my video from the microsd card i realized i somehow did not record any of it. I thought well...maybe it is at least the flight is saved in cache or something..... the only thing in cache is from May 2024. I have a air 2s using the fly app. Can anyone explain to me how to set it up so all flights are saved in cache or whatever in case this ever happens again. Or any other advice would be welcome. I cannot begin to describe the anxiety this has caused me.
A reasonable quality screen recorder app on the phone or tablet (if you don't use an integrated screen controller) with it set to 1080p and hitting screen record on the RC/RC2 otherwise.

Also handy for off-the-cuff verbal observations and shoot notes (audio record).

This also provides an independent record of displayed in-flight telemetry data should questions ever be asked.

I think that's happened to all of us at some point or other, and yes, it's a horrible feeling when all your efforts have come to nought thanks to the joy of human error.

As far as general advice goes, mine is much the same as the above - if you do a single recording for each flight and make that part of your pre-take-off checklist it becomes habit to do it every time. Just before that step on my list is activating controller recording as well, so that even if something goes wrong with the main record there is still a 1080 version in the remote. And if you do that to a separate card, it also covers you with a spare card for if you ever get to the field to find you are missing one in the craft because you forgot to put it back after last session.
well...hehehehe. i did in fact hit record and specifically remember hitting record.... i believe i had accidently hit record and when i meant to actually record i was in fact stopping the recording. its kind of obvious given the clips i recovered. Its because i placed the controller on the dash just barely within reach while i set up my tripod and my smartphone for also recording so that i had a audio recording. As far as on screen recording.... for some reason the last two flights this week they have been failing after about 3 minutes of recording and i have as of yet figured out why. Personally i think its because it is so **** hot out this week. this heatwave is killing me.... it took me 15minutes to get my card to work at the gas pump the other day due to this heat.....i would slide my card in the gas pump and it would be locked in there and then nothing for like 6 or 7 minutes.... of course the first time i pushed a bunch of buttons hoping for any response which ended with me cancelling everything and trying again....

• Wow
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
We've all been there (gas pump, computer, drone - take your pick) and we all learn best from our own errors. Not to say it won't happen again, but if you can make the process a habit, muscle memory will take over.

We learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others on this forum. Thanks for sharing. It’s too bad that the Air2S doesn’t have the option of automatically starting record when the rotors start.

Reactions: AeroJ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rapidppoint