DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One Pilot Controlling a Drone SWARM

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
A few minutes ago today April 12th 2024, this video clip was posted describing how a single drone operator can "supervise" a freaking SWARM of drones. While the Chinese have perfected the exacting science of sending hundreds of drones aloft together to produce spectacular light shows, my presumption was that multiple operators were needed for that elaborate aerial choreography to be possible. Turns out I was wrong, because here in this video clip it is explained that ONE operator can fly hundreds of drones without any human assistance required. Welcome to the future.

Although that would be nice, I don't see the FAA allowing a single operator to fly multiple drones any time soon.

Outside of any military operations, swarming drone has no real usefulness. The FAA won't even allow one operator to do many things with just "one" drone under direct one within VLOS, it will be another lifetime before swarms are allow to accomplish any tasks in the real world.

Reactions: Cafguy
A
Although that would be nice, I don't see the FAA allowing a single operator to fly multiple drones any time soon.
Agreed that there is no chance any civilian will ever get to command a swarm, but this technology will evolve as the military, law enforcement, and emergency response applications of drone swarms multiply in the coming years.

Reactions: Cafguy and GFields
According to the video, the drones are programmed to do specific things and not likely to crash into each other or nearby objects. It sounds more like an automated system whereby the PIC doesn't have to watch each and every drone, just monitor the system.

Query: What about the people who do light shows like fireworks and other displays using drones?

5,000+ drones operated by two people at computer terminals, at night. How does this light show pass muster under the FAA's reluctance to allow individuals to control swarms? If you're of the opinion that a light show is a planned, coordinated event, the same can apply to swarms of drones. I don't see much difference between the two. With light shows, they seem to get approval, and they completely take over the sky.

Just curious.

They have to get a waiver to operate a drone show, every time. They are all RTK drones, which is how they keep them apart. It's a real mess when there is a problem with the RTK antenna or communications. The computer controls the drones. There is no human interaction, from start to finish, other than a capability to abort.

Reactions: Zeprider
They are all RTK drones, which is how they keep them apart...
Ah, RTK drones. New knowledge for me. I read up on it and I have to say, outstanding tech. Right now it's industry magic but I suspect RTK will eventually work it's way into the consumer market.

Humans over the system not in the system. Same theory for the UTM and mass delivery systems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky