DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Formating

the format only clears the sd card ,anything that you have cached to device needs to be done separately

I did a format of my sd card while in my mini . When I looked in my app they did not delete.

I am guessing your looking at cached images or video on your phone itself. When you go into the album and a level deeper that icon on top left do you see something there?

What is the purpose of formatting sd cards, anyway? How is it different from simply erasing the content?

What is the purpose of formatting sd cards, anyway? How is it different from simply erasing the content?

Much like a drive on a computer to format it is to wipe it completely and reset it to its original state (I say this but there are ways to get data back if you really had to and it was not over written already).

If your sd card is having issues and or you want to reset the file count (dji_01..2...3) that increments on it is why you would try this option. Or a quick way to make sure your handing off something empty (still above applies about it still being there if someone REALLY wants data).

the main purpose of doing a format is to make sure you have enough memory left on the card to capture all your recordings,if you are using 4k then it takes up a lot of space on the card for each flight, format clears the cache but leaves the system settings in tact on the card

the main purpose of doing a format is to make sure you have enough memory left on the card to capture all your recordings,if you are using 4k then it takes up a lot of space on the card for each flight, format clears the cache but leaves the system settings in tact on the card

Out of curiosity what do you mean system settings? I assumed it wiped everything since it resets the file increment numbering form the few times i have done it.

when you put in a new card it sets up the parameters that the device uses to store the info onto the card ,this part stays on the card ,formatting just clears the recorded files on the card
at least thats how i think it works

when you put in a new card it sets up the parameters that the device uses to store the info onto the card ,this part stays on the card ,formatting just clears the recorded files on the card
at least thats how i think it works

I dont think that is how it works then. When I have re formatted it resets the incrementing picture video count. But if i just delete these off the card itself in a computer it does not. Interesting though will have t play with it as i have a new sd card coming.

Out of curiosity what do you mean system settings? I assumed it wiped everything since it resets the file increment numbering form the few times i have done it.
format clears the cache but leaves the system settings in tact on the card
Formatting the sd card in effect wipes the card clean.
There are no "system settings"on the card.
After formatting, you are starting with a completely empty sd card.

As the warning says ...
i-LzzDdrN-S.jpg

Last edited:
I think you lose the AC logs if you format the card, and probably increase the chances of re-using the same memory addresses, if you do that very often you might run out of R/W cycles on those particular sectors thus causing NAND memory breakages. I am not sure about NAND memory file system sectors recoverability, If they could actually be indexed and set aside (providing the controller doesn't cease responding).

Formatting the card won't affect your data or harm your SD card.
I think you lose the AC logs if you format the card
Think again .. there are no aircraft log files stored on your SD card
and probably increase the chances of re-using the same memory addresses, if you do that very often you might run out of R/W cycles on those particular sectors thus causing NAND memory breakages. I am not sure about NAND memory file system sectors recoverability, If they could actually be indexed and set aside (providing the controller doesn't cease responding).
SD cards have a limited number of write cycles.
But this is very unlikely to be a problem as it's in the order of 100,000 write cycles.
That's equivalent to 15 times per day for 20 years.
And SD cards include circuitry to manage wear-leveling, that is, spread out writes over the storage media evenly to avoid "hot spots"—pages that are written too frequently and therefore failing early.

Message for the sensible users out there: every time he sees me he loses the light of reason, because I didn't agree with him in the past.
Normally I'd let it go but since he's targeting me, again...

Formatting the card won't affect your data or harm your SD card.
[...]
Think again .. there are no aircraft log files stored on your SD card
[...]
SD cards have a limited number of write cycles.
But this is very unlikely to be a problem as it's in the order of 100,000 write cycles.

Formatting a card won't affect your data? Let's skip on the harm your SD card... repeated formatting(s) of the SD shorten their lifespan (no evidence produced, I am no Wiki-encyclopedia)

Just FIY is not that uncommon for HDDs that have an MTBF of 100K hours (or 100.000) to have an AFR (annualized failure rate) of about 5%, for example I know for a fact (and many years of experience) that after 25.000 hours I have to retire my HDD drives from active use and destine them for long term cold storage. Even LED and CFL lamps do the same over here... I have yet to find one that lasts beyond 10-15K hours, and still what a coincidence they all declare bulb or LED lifespan of 50 to 100.000 hours (actually I have one OSRAM CFL from the early 90s that's lasting I feel far beyond its rated life but it was a time in which products had to deliver in order to have a significant breakthrough).

By the way... pictures often speak more than 1000 words: DJI specifically asks for the AC log when they do in-depth troubleshooting.

Attachments

• MM mSD list.gif
    MM mSD list.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 14
  • MM log folder.jpg
    MM log folder.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Message for the sensible users out there: every time he sees me he loses the light of reason, because I didn't agree with him in the past.
Normally I'd let it go but since he's targeting me, again...
Continue posting misinformation and it will be pointed out.
You are posting total nonsense.

There are no flight logs on your SD card.
Formatting the SD card won't hurt the card or any important data.

So you threatening me after targeting because you can't get over your mistakes? After posting nonsense like "Formatting the card won't affect your data or harm your SD card. [...] Think again .. there are no aircraft log files stored on your SD card"

Everybody can verify. Appalled by the arrogance and ignorance demonstrated.

Well @m80116 i see you insist on violating our guidelines still this time calling another member names.
I will tend to that shortly but guys i have Reformatted my cards on All my drones since i have been flying and it don't hurt them other than maybe the end where my fingernail sticks in the end to remove it.
I remove and dump it in my iMac after every outing and reformat it from the app before i start up the next time out. Just my habit.
Now I can't say just what is on that card but my parameters have never changed when i decide to put a new one in.
@sar104 is much more savvy on these things and hope he will chime in when he see's this flag.
But @Meta4 and @m80116 No more in this.

Reactions: old man mavic
I didn't know that my formatting question was going to lead to a battle of wills!

Well @m80116 i see you insist on violating our guidelines still this time calling another member names.
I will tend to that shortly but guys i have Reformatted my cards on All my drones since i have been flying and it don't hurt them other than maybe the end where my fingernail sticks in the end to remove it.
I remove and dump it in my iMac after every outing and reformat it from the app before i start up the next time out. Just my habit.
Now I can't say just what is on that card but my parameters have never changed when i decide to put a new one in.
@sar104 is much more savvy on these things and hope he will chime in when he see's this flag.
But @Meta4 and @m80116 No more in this.

Not much to add. @Meta4 is correct - there are no flight logs on the SD card and formatting the card won't damage it in any reasonable lifespan.

Reactions: dirkclod
Not much to add. @Meta4 is correct - there are no flight logs on the SD card and formatting the card won't damage it in any reasonable lifespan.
Thank you sar.
What i thought but wanted you to confirm .Thumbswayup
Now @Carhop i hope you got your answer .
I didn't know that my formatting question was going to lead to a battle of wills!
Get used to it.;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf