DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Former owner of a Mavic Pro - Need some advice..

Kmccb

Reactions
I got a Mavic Pro Fly More combo back in June of 2017.. It was a big purchase for me and my first drone.. I probably only flew it a few dozen times.. I just had too much anxiety when flying it, thinking it would wreck or similar and I'd be out $1,200.. I ended up selling it for like $900 about 6 months after I got it and I've regretted it ever since..

I'm now wanting to get another one.. I'm kicking myself hard because on a whim I just searched slickdeals for "DJI" and saw that Walmart was selling the Mavic Pro for as low as $250 not that long ago, clearing out old inventory I presume.. I'm just a novice.. Just loved flying it.. How fast it could go, how far it could go, the quality of the video, etc..

I never really got it for making some amazing videos as a profession or anything.. The thing that hurts seeing it go for so cheap is that if I was able to pick one up at that price, I could give a crap if I would lose it or crash it or whatever.. $250 isn't the same as $1,200...

I did see the new Mini and at $400 I was thinking that wouldn't be bad for my anxiety, either.. However, I saw they only go 20mph and they don't have a lot of the safety features that the Pro has, the cool recording modes, etc..

Has anyone else been in the same boat? Had the Mavic, got cold feet because of how much it costed so you didn't fly it, and then just ended up selling it only to regret it later? What is even more crazy to me is that in the Slickdeals thread people were crapping all over it saying it was X years old etc but to me, it would 100% be worth the $500 or so brand new..

What are your guys thoughts? How can I get my fix without spending $1,000 but also not going backwards with less features etc?

Thanks

That's a tough one.
On one hand, you could go with the mini, and build your confidence up with that hardware, and while you're doing that, keep an eye out for a Mavic Gen I for sale, then you can take that step...
Or,
Just go for it and get a new Mavic Gen II flymore...Go big, or go home....

But, if you dance it right, go for the mini, and keep shopping for the deal on a full size Mavic, (used), and you will have a stable of 2 birds, and not the huge outlay for a new flymore kit...

MINI would be the way to go and go from their.

I've never heard of a value $250 price on the Pro.

You can usually get 1st party insurance on a drone for $60/year. If you crash it, they pay for the replacement at 100%.

If you don't want a drone for photos or video, there are many drones that are far cheaper. Most DJI products are really more camera platforms.

Reactions: ZX14-R
I've never heard of a value $250 price on the Pro.

You can usually get 1st party insurance on a drone for $60/year. If you crash it, they pay for the replacement at 100%.

If you don't want a drone for photos or video, there are many drones that are far cheaper. Most DJI products are really more camera platforms.

Sorry, I could have sworn I read $250 in this thread.. Some did pick it up for cheaper but it was a major YMMV type of deal..

I really do like the cameras on them.. I really just like how far, high, and the full HD video transmission.. I didn't think there was any other drones that could do this..

Walmart was selling the Mavic Pro for as low as $250 not that long ago, c
I’ve never seen even a renewed Mavic Pro for less than $700. If you can link a MP1 for less than seven hundred not to mention $250 I’d greatly appreciate it. I have one already but I know someone looking to buy one. Thanks.

If I had to guess it was a "fly more kit" for the MP. I've seen Walmart.com list them in a way that was a tad misleading as the photo showed it with the drone itself, reading the print you realize its just the FMK add on portion for that price. I've seen them with broken cameras/gimbals go for $300 +/- on Ebay.

I got a Mavic Pro Fly More combo back in June of 2017.. It was a big purchase for me and my first drone.. I probably only flew it a few dozen times.. I just had too much anxiety when flying it, thinking it would wreck or similar and I'd be out $1,200.. I ended up selling it for like $900 about 6 months after I got it and I've regretted it ever since..

I'm now wanting to get another one.. I'm kicking myself hard because on a whim I just searched slickdeals for "DJI" and saw that Walmart was selling the Mavic Pro for as low as $250 not that long ago, clearing out old inventory I presume.. I'm just a novice.. Just loved flying it.. How fast it could go, how far it could go, the quality of the video, etc..

I never really got it for making some amazing videos as a profession or anything.. The thing that hurts seeing it go for so cheap is that if I was able to pick one up at that price, I could give a crap if I would lose it or crash it or whatever.. $250 isn't the same as $1,200...

I did see the new Mini and at $400 I was thinking that wouldn't be bad for my anxiety, either.. However, I saw they only go 20mph and they don't have a lot of the safety features that the Pro has, the cool recording modes, etc..

Has anyone else been in the same boat? Had the Mavic, got cold feet because of how much it costed so you didn't fly it, and then just ended up selling it only to regret it later? What is even more crazy to me is that in the Slickdeals thread people were crapping all over it saying it was X years old etc but to me, it would 100% be worth the $500 or so brand new..

What are your guys thoughts? How can I get my fix without spending $1,000 but also not going backwards with less features etc?

Thanks
I think you may be wrong on the Walmart price of $250. I bought mine at Walmart at $250 off the regular price. Still flying strong.

If I had to guess it was a "fly more kit" for the MP. I've seen Walmart.com list them in a way that was a tad misleading as the photo showed it with the drone itself, reading the print you realize its just the FMK add on portion for that price. I've seen them with broken cameras/gimbals go for $300 +/- on Ebay.
I think you may be wrong on the Walmart price of $250. I bought mine at Walmart at $250 off the regular price. Still flying strong.

It was posted on SlickDeals.. Here is the thread: UPDATE: DJI Mavic Pro New for $500.00 DJI Phantom Pro V.2 $1099.00 & STILL Possible lower to come. YMMV

It was all YMMV (Your mileage may vary)..

Then I went to brickseek to see if they had any around me, which they didn't.. But they listed the price as low as $250.. See here:

2019-11-05_9-31-47.jpg

The Mini is a "WIFI' controlled drone so if that range and image transmission was a major point with your Mavic pro (which was occu-sync...meaning MUCH better than WIFI), you will be disappointed.
Besides your "anxiety" of actually flying and losing the cost of the drone (negated by a decent insurance plan) has your situation changed enough that you will actually use the drone?
There are, and will be, quite a few Mavic (1) pros on sale at various forums and facebook groups but you really need to have a firm grasp on the proper operation to invest in a used drone.

I am one of the first owners of a Mavic Pro (at least in France), still flying with it, never crashed. My secret ? I fly mostly with Litchi waypoint missions that I prepare carefully at home with the help of the Litchi Hub, VLM and Google Earth. Other flights are also realized with Litchi but never far away (for photos, panoramas or particular video shootings such as surfers). I add that I fly mostly over the ocean or mountains where it is no way to retreive a lost drone.

Reactions: mereflyer

Thanks
KMCCB,
Take a look at the "skyido 2" with its autonomous flight characteristics this might be a drone for you. Based on independent test data the camera is pretty good if not better than DJI's. Also it is made in the USA.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Flycaster
KMCCB,
Take a look at the "skyido 2" with its autonomous flight characteristics this might be a drone for you. Based on independent test data the camera is pretty good if not better than DJI's. Also it is made in the USA.
Hope this helps.
:O OMG that thing looks amazing!! Not shipping until second quarter of 2020 though.. :(

Thanks for the reply!

I chose the Mavic Pro 1 as my first ever drone with the reasoning I'd rather get one that does all I want instead of working my way up through ones that don't. I did get cold feet when it came to flying it though with all the reports of crashes and flyaways on the forums, while I have expensive camera equipment this felt different since it would up in the air and vulnerable to many more problems.

To start with I took the Mavic to a wide open space and went there regularly practicing the controls, taking off, landing etc. in an environment where there was little risk to the drone which gradually improved my confidence. I also carefully read each topic on a crash which in most cases is due to pilot error to understand what was done wrong and how to avoid it. I've had the Mavic Pro 1 since shortly after launch and also an MP2 neither of which I've crashed or come close to crashing. I think a bit of fear is healthy when flying when it encourages you to be careful with the drone.

Reactions: DDS
G
That's a tough one.
On one hand, you could go with the mini, and build your confidence up with that hardware, and while you're doing that, keep an eye out for a Mavic Gen I for sale, then you can take that step...
Or,
Just go for it and get a new Mavic Gen II flymore...Go big, or go home....

But, if you dance it right, go for the mini, and keep shopping for the deal on a full size Mavic, (used), and you will have a stable of 2 birds, and not the huge outlay for a new flymore kit...
go for the mini as it has less setup to worry about in the app, minible stress, who cares if the others go fast or travel further, the mini are smaller and doesnt have to be registered( thats less stress alone lol) I bought one and im enjoying it more then my mavic pro & my spark cause its smaller and more compact...... it takes beautiful videos & picture, really all you need for recreational & hobbist

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1