DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forum "Drone police" members are here to help you not hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FAA and the drone police don’t see eye to eye on what’s legal and what’s not.

The Four hundred feet rule is a perfect example
Confusion confusion confusion

Flying at night the drone police still confused!

I prefer to get my info directly from the FAA

A great man once said...

Thunderdrones said:

We always have your best interests at heart.

Drone police are a good thing, and I hope that if I post something that shows I've done something I shouldn't have, I'll be told about it!

I think there are two types of 'offenders':

In the first case, there's people flying their drones in genuine ignorance of some of the rules - It would be an absolute mis-use of this forum not to take the opportunity to provide some education for them. It might be argued that they should know better, but sometimes - as pointed out above - you think you know what the 400ft rule means, but e.g. it's actually not 400ft above your take off point - especially if you are flying off a ridge-line ... I would hope that the 'drone Police' on the forum would pick these transgressions up and politely (it really doesn't help to get all crazy about it), put the offender right about what they are doing. In most cases, the people who you put right are genuinely thankful for the guidance ...

The other type of offender is just wanting to pick a fight and will start a thread with something controversial and then count the responses to their posts before somebody picks them up on it ... good game! good game!! ... When you see comments like "I wondered how long it would take the Drone Police to come in on this one!" then you can tell somebody is just fishing for a fight. In that case, it doesn't matter what you say or do for them - they are a lost cause. But in not challenging, what are we saying to noobie's who might read the post - see it's unchallenged and go out and do it on the basis of "I saw it on MaviPilots forum, and nobody said it was wrong!" ...

I'm pleased that the Police are taking rule-breaking drone pilots more seriously here in the UK now. Generally when that's done, you stop seeing everybody tarred with the same brush - and rule breakers get jumped on while pilots who fly responsibily get left to it ... I'm not willing to hand in my Drone Police badge and gun just yet though ... :cool:

The FAA and the drone police don’t see eye to eye on what’s legal and what’s not.

The Four hundred feet rule is a perfect example

Flying at night the drone police still confused!

I prefer to get my info directly from the FAA
So what's your solution then - just not talk about anything? Hey - we might have different opinions - and watch out be careful now! - we might all learn something ... WOW - Big risks!!!

I think all of the opinions expressed here are very well-thought-out. I only ask one thing on a going forward basis. If we are not civil to each other, the moderators will close the thread down. That's a fact.

I am as guilty or more guilty than everyone else at being non civil but please guys try to keep it nice. If The Mods see us flaming each other then the thread will be closed down forever and no one else will be able to benefit by all of your wise opinions..

Was I just being a drone police officer? OMG
What happens when the drone police need policing?

[emoji849]

I get tired of seeing great pictures and then the thread being hijacked by the drone police, and it happens a lot. There is a recent thread where a guys posted a picture and was basically attacked and accused of ruining it for the rest of us. Upon further review he had done nothing wrong.
If the Drone Police want to have this holier than thou attitude they should know what they are talking about and aim first.
I am not anti cop but this site has moved me to be anti drone police.
Oh and 400' is NOT the current altitude limit and you CAN fly at night, in the US.

I hope some of these comments are not considered argumentative, we have already been warned by @dirkclod about that.

Mine? All of my posts are argumentative and trolling according to Dirk. I just don't know how to put enough love into them:rolleyes:

I get tired of seeing great pictures and then the thread being hijacked by the drone police, and it happens a lot. There is a recent thread where a guys posted a picture and was basically attacked and accused of ruining it for the rest of us. Upon further review he had done nothing wrong.
If the Drone Police want to have this holier than thou attitude they should know what they are talking about and aim first.
Oh and 400' is NOT the current altitude limit and you CAN fly at night, in the US.
I understand where you are coming from @JDawg - I think that there's a good case for 'policing' - but I agree - there's innocent 'till proven guilty - and ways of 'enquiring' about the post to find out what's behind it all. This jumping on folks from a great height, is not much fun ...
Must say too - that I've provided advice then pointed out that 'from the description given in the OP, be careful because it sounds like the drone is beyond VLOS' - only to be jumped on and accused of being all kinds of the worst Drone Police!
So - it does go both ways ...

A link to the thread in question would be nice...

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I understand where you are coming from @JDawg - I think that there's a good case for 'policing' - but I agree - there's innocent 'till proven guilty - and ways of 'enquiring' about the post to find out what's behind it all. This jumping on folks from a great height, is not much fun ...
Must say too - that I've provided advice then pointed out that 'from the description given in the OP, be careful because it sounds like the drone is beyond VLOS' - only to be jumped on and accused of being all kinds of the worst Drone Police!
So - it does go both ways ...

Not arguing here but the VLOS is a funny one. How many of us have not lost VLOS, behind a tree, a building, when we blinked, the sun was in our eyes. For me it hasn't happened much because I am still cautious and do not want to lose connection but my guess is about 99% have lost VLOS at some point and the other 1% haven't flown their drone yet.
I should add I am not a rule breaker so I have no reason to be anti DP.

Not arguing here but the VLOS is a funny one. How many of us have not lost VLOS, behind a tree, a building, when we blinked, the sun was in our eyes. For me it hasn't happened much because I am still cautious and do not want to lose connection but my guess is about 99% have lost VLOS at some point and the other 1% haven't flown their drone yet.
Agreed - but this Post described flying over a golf course, 300 metres away, below and behind a tree-line ... Not a casual BVLOS by any means was all I was sayin'

This, you'd call "nitpicking"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members