DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Drone w/ FAA Id# How do I find the owner?

A friend of mine found a drone in his back yard this morning and it has an FAA Id#. How do I find out who that number is registered to? This is in the USA.
Contact the manufacturer. They know who they've sold to.

Reactions: mano
I got my drone and registered it with the FAA. Thanks to this question and the kind responses (not the smart*** replies) now I know that adding my phone number to the drone it would be a great idea.
My thought behind the registration was that the data collected would help, in case the drone flyaway, to be able to recover it. At the same time, that the same serial number couldn't be registered twice.
Thanks!

Reactions: Shazamrc
Sorry but NO! you even contradict yourself. The fact that someone “wants to try to return it” means it IS’NT an inconvenience. I really hope this sort of thing doesn’t happen to you and you’re in the position of needing someone who wants to help. Have a great Christmas.
Capitals and exclamations really aren't necessary. Someone can be okay with being inconvenienced but that doesn't make it any less of an inconvenience. It's not a contradiction. All I'm saying is that if someone is out flying a $1000 toy with a chance of losing it, why not put some contact information on it and make it easy for someone to return it without a hassle. If that was done it would have been returned by now.

I'm not sure I'd trust that site with anything. That's one of the scam sites that overcharges for the FAA registration.
You’re absolutely right DON’T trust drone-registration.net for any reason whatsoever!! :(
I tried purchasing some registration labels from them and they took my money but they have never delivered them to me after almost 2 months. They’re a SCAM and I reported them to the Better Business Bureau who is conducting an investigation into them as well.
Put your phone number on each and every drone you have as in my opinion that’s the best way to insure (if it’s found by someone who is honest) to get your drone back if lost.
I also put my contact information onto my micro SD card for this very reason as well in the event that whoever finds it just might take a look at the SD card. Hey, I am doing everything I can to insure that my drones are returned to me.

Learning from others' mistakes...I just printed a label and stuck my phone number on my UAS. It may be stupid, but the thought never crossed my mind. I am always grateful that I don't have to rely on the kindness and generosity of others to live. The world sure would be a better place if we were all a little more empathetic. Kudos to TMiller for starting this thread, and for at least trying to get the lost drone to it's owner. You never know the effect one act of kindness can have.

Did you happen to remove the battery and check for info there? I have my registration number on the side of my drone, but put the contact info inside battery compartment. I figure it will have to be removed at some point and some nice person will give me a call.

tmiller:

Thanks for your consideration. Need more people like you in this world. the idea of a phone number is great and I will add to my new drone. In any case i did lose my drone back in October and have not find it yet (weather a factor). If you are in the Chicago area i would be willing to give you my FAA# to determine if it's mine. I know it's a long shot but miracles do happen.

Reactions: tmiller
A friend of mine found a drone in his back yard this morning and it has an FAA Id#. How do I find out who that number is registered to? This is in the USA.
You could bring it to the closest police station.Most all have a lost and found.

Did you happen to remove the battery and check for info there? I have my registration number on the side of my drone, but put the contact info inside battery compartment. I figure it will have to be removed at some point and some nice person will give me a call.

No contact information on it anywhere.

tmiller:

Thanks for your consideration. Need more people like you in this world. the idea of a phone number is great and I will add to my new drone. In any case i did lose my drone back in October and have not find it yet (weather a factor). If you are in the Chicago area i would be willing to give you my FAA# to determine if it's mine. I know it's a long shot but miracles do happen.
Sorry, not near Chicago and don't think your flight time would make it to NM. :)

Reactions: JimJ
I find it interesting that many here advocate easy access to your personal information through manufacturer or government data bases. It’s even more puzzling that many of you freely provide this information through labeling. I mean what could go wrong? John Q “I hate drones“ public finds your drone in his backyard and contacts the authorities claiming all sorts of nefarious things. “It was spying on me“, “It hit my car“, “It hit me!“ etc. etc. We all know that such things are possible. The ramifications of some stalker getting my personal information, in my opinion, far outweigh the downside of loss of my toy but if some of you are comfortable with that then more power to you

I find it interesting that many here advocate easy access to your personal information through manufacturer or government data bases. It’s even more puzzling that many of you freely provide this information through labeling. I mean what could go wrong? John Q “I hate drones“ public finds your drone in his backyard and contacts the authorities claiming all sorts of nefarious things. “It was spying on me“, “It hit my car“, “It hit me!“ etc. etc. We all know that such things are possible. The ramifications of some stalker getting my personal information, in my opinion, far outweigh the downside of loss of my toy but if some of you are comfortable with that then more power to you

I wouldn’t fly a drone, vote, get a HAM license, work a regular salary job, have a cell phone or internet account, buy a house, get married, have a credit card or ATM card, have a bank account, library card or own and drive a car in the US if I were you.

I wouldn’t fly a drone, vote, get a HAM license, work a regular salary job, buy a house, get married, have a credit card or ATM card, have a bank account, library card or own and drive a car in the US if I were you.
I thought he was just droning on...

I wouldn’t fly a drone, vote, get a HAM license, work a regular salary job, buy a house, get married, have a credit card or ATM card, have a bank account, library card or own and drive a car in the US if I were you.
As soon as any of those items can fly away on its own and hit someone in the head I’ll consider taking your advice. Thanks!

As soon as any of those items can fly away on its own and hit someone in the head I’ll consider taking your advice. Thanks!
Haven't heard of a drone doing this, can you post an example?

Haven't heard of a drone doing this, can you post an example?
Go back to my original post but this time actually read it..... the point is the danger of ones personal info out in the PUBLIC domain. If this doesn’t worry you please post your name and address and phone number. Why not?

Go back to my original post but this time actually read it..... the point is the danger of ones personal info out in the PUBLIC domain. If this doesn’t worry you please post your name and address and phone number. Why not?
" fly away on its own and hit someone in the head " example? I am willing to take responsibility (with the help of a large umbrella policy) for my actions. I am not seeing that you are and are hiding behind a 'renegade drone' as an excuse.

Reactions: sdold

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuiceThe6One