DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Drone w/ FAA Id# How do I find the owner?

There’s 2 of many.....
Neither of which have anything to do with the subject of this thread.

Now, we’re still waiting for you to post your personal info in a public forum.
No-one is posting their personal info here and there's no reason for them to.
You don't like the idea of putting a contact number on your drone and would rather lose it than have a way for anyone finding it to reach you. That's your choice.
Other people have different ideas.
End of story.
Now .... back to our regular program.

Reactions: dirkclod
Go back to my original post but this time actually read it..... the point is the danger of ones personal info out in the PUBLIC domain. If this doesn’t worry you please post your name and address and phone number. Why not?

Have you ever looked up a plane’s N number? Ham radio license?Car license plates are searchable too. Online yellow pages? We are all in the public domain already in one form or another, and putting my return info on a little drone is such a small risk of any issues happening for it.

As for not putting any traceable personal information on a UAS, exactly what type of operators would want to be able to do that?

Last edited:
Place an ad on the local lost and found, he’ll be searching here for sure.

Good luck,
Paul

Reactions: JDawg
A friend of mine found a drone in his back yard this morning and it has an FAA Id#. How do I find out who that number is registered to? This is in the USA.
Hi. This is a thought that might resolve issues with returning drone after being lost.

All depends on the persons attitude that has found the drone. But at the same time, having lost the drone within the battery life, I would presume that it would not be to far from the positing of departure.

Therefor I submit a suggestion, to stick a label on top of the drone, with a code and phone number, making it possible for the owner to be contacted by the finder. Today most people have mobile phones and therefor making it easier to call and advise pickup address.

Also when a finder picksup the lost drone and sees a contact number, it will motivate a response.

Good luck all reading.

It's been a little over a year since I got a Mavic Pro Platinum. My FAA registration number and mobile phone number has been on the drone since the beginning. It boggles my mind how anyone that spends ANY time educating themselves about drone operation wouldn't know/realize that putting your darn phone number on the thing is a necessary idea.

Of course, there's the lawless types that don't WANT to be found if their drone crashes into a parked car or worse.

Mark

I'm sure he'll stop by as he kept it in sight the entire flight ;) I don't have my number on in case I land where I shouldn't land, and I'll take my chances I'll find it first. Not to mention the owner probably thought the number would mean he'd get it back - most here weren't even sure.

Reactions: Shazamrc
I for one am now going to put a label with my cell number on each of my drones. Until I read this thread it actually never occurred to me

Reactions: Inspirephil
I don't think you can. You could check the photos, if there are any on the SD, and possibly look at the EXIF data embedded in them to see exactly where they were taken. I don't have much sympathy for people that lose a drone if they haven't put a phone number on it.

I'm surprised the FAA doesn't have a cross reference to identify the owner but I guess that would violate privacy laws. I agree who puts the FAA # on their drone but not a contact number.

Yes, put a phone number on both the drone and on the battery (in case it falls out). In Canada, we don't need to register them... but some owner will appreciate getting it back... would pay for the costs probably. Place an ad for your area... This could happen to you...

These types of posts are EXACTLY why I place my complete address, phone number and any other pertinent information along with my FAA registration number on all my drones!
I also placed the same information imbedded on my micro SD cards in text form just in case whoever finds it might be savvy enough to take a look and see if there’s any information about the owner on there.
I have way too much invested to NOT put my information on them.

Reactions: Shazamrc
A friend of mine found a drone in his back yard this morning and it has an FAA Id#. How do I find out who that number is registered to? This is in the USA.

Call your local FAA drone/SUA officer. They have helped me many times and are very helpful and friendly. You can turn the drone over to them too. If this drone had caused damage or an accident they can identify the owner.

No, it's not required by the FAA. My point is that if you don't care enough to put a phone number or email address on your AC then you don't care much about getting it back. I see posts like this all the time. It also is an inconvenience for someone who wants to try to return it.
Using logic like this would surely also mean it would be just as much of an inconvenience for someone to pick up the phone and call?

There is an FAA database of “N” numbers for manned aircraft but with drones it would be a privacy violation? Doesn’t track.
The FAA is a federal governmental agency so some of the information should be available via a FOIA request although that can be lengthy and expensive and why would you do that for someone else's drone. But is the FAA registration information any different than a license plate registration? You can go to any police department and tell them that someone hit your car in a parking lot and another motorist gave you the license plate of the offending vehicle and the police will give you the address of the vehicle. Why can't the FAA do the same?

I know this is a MP & MP2 forum but no one actually asked so I will. Which bird is it we're talking about? You may want to goto FB lost drones page in your area and see if someone posted about it or you can also post that you found one. Don't put a pic just let the person who contacts you tell you what it looks like as well as FAA#

My label is email, cell phone #, and $100 REWARD IF FOUND!

Reactions: Lbesing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190