DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found the cause for my MP GPS failure...

I wouldn't dare argue with you but my display shows my position, the drone's and home point. There's an option to have the drone return to me in a return to home scenario. The Crystalsky has GPS and location settings.

The GO app knows where you are via the mobile device GPS, but it doesn't send that information to the aircraft unless you reset the home point or use one of the follow modes.

Oh I'm not saying that was it exactly, geez. I'm saying that it could have been anything and they told you some story to mollify you.

BTW how about answering my actual question, was this some random store or was this actually DJI itself telling you this? Everyone seems to be under the impression that you were in contact with DJI.

Inovative uas is not DJI. It’s a reseller. I have used them in the past. I will not ever use them again. I had experiences with them where they really do just make up stories to fit the situation.

Reactions: Kilrah
The GO app knows where you are via the mobile device GPS, but it doesn't send that information to the aircraft unless you reset the home point or use one of the follow modes.
Well then the drone does know my location and can be made to care... Besides, the distance of the drone is in relation to you, isn't it?
Inovative uas is not DJI. It’s a reseller. I have used them in the past. I will not ever use them again. I had experiences with them where they really do just make up stories to fit the situation.

Thanks. Yea a couple guys were "DJI told him this or that"...

Well then the drone does know my location and can be made to care... Besides, the distance of the drone is in relation to you, isn't it?

Maybe I misunderstood your original question - how the drone knows where you are. I was pointing out that the drone typically doesn't know where you are - it only knows where it took off from - the home point. It can be sent new coordinates, derived from the mobile device GPS, either to reset the home point or to track.

Maybe I misunderstood your original question - how the drone knows where you are. I was pointing out that the drone typically doesn't know where you are - it only knows where it took off from - the home point. It can be sent new coordinates, derived from the mobile device GPS, either to reset the home point or to track.

Cool thanks!

Oh I'm not saying that was it exactly, geez. I'm saying that it could have been anything and they told you some story to mollify you.

BTW how about answering my actual question, was this some random store or was this actually DJI itself telling you this? Everyone seems to be under the impression that you were in contact with DJI.

Check this link - it is an "authorized" DJI store with this name: "DJI Arizona Powered by Innovative UAS" store located in Scottsdale, AZ
djistoreaz.com – DJI Arizona | Authorized Retail Store

Yes there IS a GPS chip, BUT it is so tiny and small, it is off most of the time. and is used to double check cell data estimates.
I don't buy that, sorry. Out here in Arizona and trips to San Antonio we will travel for long distances with a not symbol over the cellular bars. Google maps and location pare up just fine. Most of my flying is miles out of cellular range and again we follow the trails shown in google maps / show satellite maps. We click on a location and save the lat/long for reference if we want to go back.

The little white lines (no insult intended but an explanation for those who don't know) are either animal trails, trails created by jeeps or quads. There aren't any 7-eleven jeeps going down most of these roads.
Nowhere      .jpg

Reactions: LightByter
It works but is slower. And not always accurate till its been on the chip awhile.
That is the reason GPS chips are in all cell devices and not all wifi devices.
I posted the explanation.

It may be an interpolation of the three methods, but the cell and WiFi methods though fast are not very accurate, usually worse than GPS.

I wouldn't dare argue with you but my display shows my position, the drone's and home point. There's an option to have the drone return to me in a return to home scenario. The Crystalsky has GPS and location settings.

The return to home is just that: return to set home position. The home position normally would be the AC's location, determined by the AC during takeoff.
You can update the home point to be either your remote's position based on the device GPS, or the AC's current position.
The app does show AC distance from home point, and when VPS is not operational, also show distance to the RC based on device GPS. However that latter distance would not be known by the AC, its only in the app.

It may be an interpolation of the three methods, but the cell and WiFi methods though fast are not very accurate, usually worse than GPS.
and THAT is why the basic GPS chip is there. The radio triangulation briefly powers up the GPS chip to improve accuracy, then shuts it down. THAT is why ipads , and most other devices that do not have cellular service do NOT include the GPS. Even though it would be a minor price increase. The chip is not good enough to stand alone unless it runs all the time. IF it had to be on all the time, your phone battery would deplete very quickly, AND it would only work standing outside in the open, or held near the wind shield of your car for a few minutes.

and THAT is why the basic GPS chip is there. The radio triangulation briefly powers up the GPS chip to improve accuracy, then shuts it down. THAT is why ipads , and most other devices that do not have cellular service do NOT include the GPS. Even though it would be a minor price increase. The chip is not good enough to stand alone unless it runs all the time. IF it had to be on all the time, your phone battery would deplete very quickly, AND it would only work standing outside in the open, or held near the wind shield of your car for a few minutes.

No - you are completely wrong about this - the cell tower triangulation (AGPS) is to improve GPS startup time, not accuracy. Cell tower triangulation is orders of magnitude less accurate than GPS. Almost everything you wrote here is incorrect.

No - you are completely wrong about this - the cell tower triangulation (AGPS) is to improve GPS startup time, not accuracy. Cell tower triangulation is orders of magnitude less accurate than GPS. Almost everything you wrote here is incorrect.
Not everything is wrong. Accuracy may not have been the right word.
MOST cellphones, (I say most only because I have not found one different) Use AGPS as default because GPS satellite signals are weak. They often cant be obtained near tall structures, inside buildings, trains, planes and cars without being near a window, or having an external antenna.
Your are correct that cell towers are less accurate. That is why there is the GPS chip. BUT they are more available in large cities. Here is another article. You can disagree if you want.

What Is Assisted GPS?

Not everything is wrong. Accuracy may not have been the right word.
MOST cellphones, (I say most only because I have not found one different) Use AGPS as default because GPS satellite signals are weak. They often cant be obtained near tall structures, inside buildings, trains, planes and cars without being near a window, or having an external antenna.
Your are correct that cell towers are less accurate. That is why there is the GPS chip. BUT they are more available in large cities. Here is another article. You can disagree if you want.

What Is Assisted GPS?

No - still not correct. Cell phones primarily use tower-based location to speed up their GPS lock. After GPS lock is acquired, location is computed solely from GPS unless, as your link clearly states, GPS is degraded by being indoors or shielded from a clear enough view of the sky. GPS is the default, not cell tower triangulation or wifi network location.

The GPS chip is slow. The GPS chip is power hungry. It gets pinged, and thats about it. UNLESS you are doing something to keep the chip on, your battery is going to dump a lot faster. If the tiny, cheap GPS chip was so great, it would be in non cellular devices too.
Its makes no sense to not put GPS in an ipad wi fi, but install it in cell versions only. Until you understand WHY.

The GPS chip is slow. The GPS chip is power hungry. It gets pinged, and thats about it. UNLESS you are doing something to keep the chip on, your battery is going to dump a lot faster. If the tiny, cheap GPS chip was so great, it would be in non cellular devices too.
Its makes no sense to not put GPS in an ipad wi fi, but install it in cell versions only. Until you understand WHY.

I agree with you on many things, but you are simply too exhausting to argue with on technical topics. You get random nonsense into your head and simply refuse to relinquish it. I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to engage in these arguments with you any more.

I agree with you on many things, but you are simply too exhausting to argue with on technical topics. You get random nonsense into your head and simply refuse to relinquish it. I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to engage in these arguments with you any more.
Sorry that you feel that if you cant be 100% right, you dont want to discuss further.
In a nutshell, I am saying that the GPS chip is there MORE to aid the cellular location than the cellular is there to aid the GPS. They cant charge you to use real GPS, so they make you use airtime instead. Since they cant charge for airtime on a wi fi version, you dont get GPS at all.
That is the long and short of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hussy112233