DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fox 13 Salt Lake City - Drone News

tcope

Reactions
Title to this article is:

upload_2018-6-21_15-31-51.png

Life Flight pilot recalls close call with drone; authorities remind Utahns to follow FAA rules

Part of the article then states the following:

upload_2018-6-21_15-32-27.png

At best it is a good try.... but it is still incorrect. If you are going to ask people to follow the rules... at least get the rules correct. You can fly within 5 miles of an airport, you can fly at night and you can fly higher then 400'. So.... 3 mentions, 3 things incorrect.

It gets better....

One link in the article for more information goes to the Salt Lake City Airport which lists the following information:

Owners who plan to fly drones within a five nautical mile radius of Salt Lake City International or South Valley or Tooele Regional airports, must contact the Salt Lake City Department of Airports Operations Division at (801) 556-4082 or [email protected] and provide the following information at least 24 hours in advance of operation:

• Registration information for the device
  • Type of device
  • Time, date and duration of flight
  • Location (GPS coordinates) and altitude of operation

While I can't fault the airport for wanting this information and I don't really have an issue with them asking, it's _not_ required. Certainly 24 hour notice is not required.

Lastly, for more information the airport links to a commercial website, not the FAA's website. Not a big deal but you'd think they would link to _official_ information.

Reactions: Qoncussion
You could contact them and point them to the right info to amend the article.

I did/tried. There is no way to contact the author directly. The only link allows you to report typos and grammatical errors. I used that link. So there is no good way to let them know of errors. I doubt that they would correct the article anyway.

If you are going to write an article asking people to follow the rules... at least get the rules correct. Or simply link to the FAA's website for the info.

I did/tried. There is no way to contact the author directly. The only link allows you to report typos and grammatical errors. I used that link.

Or this possibly:

Contact

News Tips & Comments
[email protected]

Who knows if they'll actually fix it, but I see amendments in general all the time. It's worth a try.

Shoddy report for sure, that's pretty much par for the course these days.

I feel your frustration on this one. I doubt there's really anything to be done. Local TV news in Utah is so bad. The only good news is that viewership numbers continue to decline. That means fewer people over time are being misinformed. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo