DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV Advice

Jtristram

Reactions
Hey,
Im an estate agent and im looking to invest in an FPV drone to film cool video content flying from outside, in and around the property to create interesting video tours.

I am a novice, so understand I will need to practice. But I am a little overwhelmed with what drone to buy. Unsure where to seek advice from so came across this forum.

I would need capability to be able to record what im filming, as I have noticed some basic FPV drones dont offer this.

But I have of course come across the Avata which I think would be suitable, but wondered if I needed to spend so much? I dont think there is much advice obvious enough for someone like myself looking to purchase for the first time.

Looking at facebook market place, there are look of un trustworthy posts.. but maybe they are trustworthy. Maybe I think just go DJI as they are so well known and therefore should offer me a service. but if anyone could suggest an alternative drone that I could consider as well as the Avata, which might be cheaper on budget?

Im looking for a 4K recording system (but If required I do have a GoPro to put ontop).

Thanks in Advance!

Reactions: GFields
Hello from the Crossroads of America Jtristram.

I can't comment on an FPV drone since I haven't went down that rabbit hole yet, but a regular drone for outdoor shots and a camera on a gimbal would be good for the interior shots.

Flying inside a house could be tricky especially if your a novice flyer.

Prop wash from the walls, ceilings, lights, etc. could be a pain.

Walking around with a gimbaled camera seems to be safer.

I'm not sure what the rules are in the U.K., but here in the states if you want to do work that is not recreational flying, then you'll need certification from the government to do so (part 107 from the FAA here in the states).

Good luck with your research and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Avata and FPV quad owner here. The Avata seems to be the best match to your use-case. I'm not in love with it, but it fills a certain niche pretty well (providing FPV footage with a greater level of control and "foolproofness" than a regular FPV drone.) And honestly, it's actually a pretty good value, as you'd be hard-pressed to build a similarly-equipped drone for less than the Avata. Add in things like RTH, hovering, great battery life (for FPV), and the flexibility of the Motion Controller and it's a pretty good package for certain users.

FWIW, my issues are that it has some very odd and, frankly, dangerous quirks in manual mode (flying more like a true FPV drone) that seem to stem from its many sensors and not the greatest firmware to handle manual FPV flying. But if you need a drone that can do more FPV-style footage, but with the level of control of a camera drone and the safety of cinewhoop, then I think you'll be happy with the Avata. I wouldn't recommend a cheap Facebook drone at all, nor would I recommend trying to build something yourself unless you are specifically looking to do true FPV and nothing else and have a high tolerance for trial-and-error.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hey,
Im an estate agent and im looking to invest in an FPV drone to film cool video content flying from outside, in and around the property to create interesting video tours.

I am a novice, so understand I will need to practice. But I am a little overwhelmed with what drone to buy. Unsure where to seek advice from so came across this forum.

I would need capability to be able to record what im filming, as I have noticed some basic FPV drones dont offer this.

But I have of course come across the Avata which I think would be suitable, but wondered if I needed to spend so much? I dont think there is much advice obvious enough for someone like myself looking to purchase for the first time.

Looking at facebook market place, there are look of un trustworthy posts.. but maybe they are trustworthy. Maybe I think just go DJI as they are so well known and therefore should offer me a service. but if anyone could suggest an alternative drone that I could consider as well as the Avata, which might be cheaper on budget?

Im looking for a 4K recording system (but If required I do have a GoPro to put ontop).

Thanks in Advance!
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: MA2 317
For what you are describing, you can do that with most of the regular consumer drones, but it's the smooth style of flight video with those, not the FPV type view.

Regarding FPV, I tend to agree the Avata with @BobaFuct post #3.
That allows several modes to fly under same sort of smooth flight control and video shooting, through to manual mode.

If you want to get into real FPV for the types of flying you can do with that style of manual flight, you can use the Avata and just get onto an fpv simulator to practice manual mode proper.
That is where stick skills are paramount, and learned on a sim you can crash all day without risk . . . once stick skills on the sim are mastered, you can transfer relatively easily to the real thing with careful first FPV manual flights.

Hey Guys thanks for the advice! @MAvic_South_Oz just to confirm you are agreeing with Boba for me to go with the Avata.

I am right in saying arent I that the Simulator is free and comes with the goggles?

Kindest,
I'd go with the Avata as a novice. It has altitude hold so you only have to worry about turning when you're in the home. Most of the other FPV drones you need to maintain altitude yourself as you fly and maneuver. From my experience the FPV controller 2 > the motion controller but just learning the motion controller is easy to pick up and go.

Reactions: Jtristram
Hey Guys thanks for the advice! @MAvic_South_Oz just to confirm you are agreeing with Boba for me to go with the Avata.

I am right in saying arent I that the Simulator is free and comes with the goggles?

Kindest,

Yes, the Avata will do the consumer drone flight, through to manual 'true' FPV flight.
I think DJI would have a sim for the Avata, the sims I was referring to are the ones like FPV.skydive , Velocidrone, FPV Freerider . . .

Enjoy whatever path you take.

Reactions: Jtristram
Not trying to steer you away from a FPV drone but you might want to look at a handheld 3 axis Gimble and add on a 4th axis stabilizer from “Scott Makes Stuff”. Either a DJI pocket 2 or an Osmo Mobile.

For a Novice the avata would be a very good choice I have used them and while I am not a fan of the noise, They are very nice and seem perfectly suited doing real estate work. You can also plug those googles into a pad or phone so you're not really flying full fpv if that is what you wish to do while you learn.
Not sure about the sim but its not really necessary to learn with

Like everyone else advises, get an Avata, but also add the FPV RC 2 for traditional stick control. You will need this freedom and flexibility of control particularly indoors, even with the new control enhancements of the MC2.

With all the standard safeties and Flight Control automation found in all DJI drones, you'll be able to produce great 4K footage that can rival a Mini 3 when stabilized with the HorizonSteady feature.

It's about the only FPV drone out there that can truly masquerade as a camera drone. And then fly traditional FPV acro to thrill your pants off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick