DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV Mode only works when not flying?

halfpress

Reactions
Follow mode on my Mavic 3 is rock solid - quite amazingly smooth, in fact. I thought I'd give FPV mode a try for some banking in turns but I see absolutely no change when toggling the mode. I tried toggling it both during and between recordings thinking perhaps it wouldn't change until the current recording ends: no difference.

I landed, flipped it to FPV and, when tiling it manually, I see the expected effect... flipped back to follow and I can wobble it vigorously and keep a level horizon as expected.

So, in a nutshell, I see the expected behavior when holding the drone outside of fight... but toggling on FPV mode while in flight never seems to actually work and my horizon is always remaining level.

Curious if I'm being dense or if others have encountered the same.

Thanks for any insights!

Hmm not sure about the Fly app, how that or the M3 and its controller is supposed to work with FPV mode, but . . .

My M1P and Go4, I have to hit the C1 controller button to activate FPV flight view when moving in flight.
(I’ve never tried activating FPV mode when not in flight.)

Have you read the M3 manual section on the mode operations ?

YouTube is also very helpful for almost anything like this, a search for Mavic 3 FPV mode brings up some to check out.

Hmm not sure about the Fly app, how that or the M3 and its controller is supposed to work with FPV mode, but . . .

My M1P and Go4, I have to hit the C1 controller button to activate FPV flight view when moving in flight.
(I’ve never tried activating FPV mode when not in flight.)

Have you read the M3 manual section on the mode operations ?

YouTube is also very helpful for almost anything like this, a search for Mavic 3 FPV mode brings up some to check out.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I had actually started on YouTube before posting here to see if anyone addressed it specifically. The most I could get from those two videos (which I had, in fact, seen from the prior research) is that you just enable FPV mode and the behavior changes. That was my expectation and, as I had mentioned, definitely what I am seeing when holding the powered on drone in my hand... but the moment I take flight, there's no sign of FPV-like gimbal behavior.

I can capture video from both the Mavic and my Pro controller to demonstrate it. I do believe I had looked at the manual as well, but I'll check again just in case. If there's something more than enabling/disabling the mode, then it's a fairly opaque user interface. :)

I'll also check my C1 assignment. Right now I think it's set to flip the gimbal quickly between directly forward and directly down (which I like and find handy for navigation reasons). Maybe I stepped on a setting in changing those or have found a related bug.

Will do more digging and report back...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Ok cool, the M3 and controller / drone setup for the M3 could be totally different of course, but I'd imagine there should be similarities.
I guess the extra step in flight to activate is so it's not left on accidentally, I noticed mine is still in FPV mode last flight, the notification on my screen kept coming up 'Press C1 to activate FPV mode' or similar.

Something in the back of my head just recalled thinking I read a post somewhere on here too, where an M3 pilot stated that FPV mode is very subtle on his aircraft, as compared to a previous model.

It could have been this thread, which has some info on the auto coordinated turns the M3 uses, rather than manual adjustment.

Mavic 3 coordinated turns (fixed wing mode)

Seems that slight turns = slight gimbal tilt, some posters here talk about it from follow mode, think it's to do with fpv mode though.

I broke out the controller a bit ago and realized that, yes, there is a button assignment. On mine - whether it's default or something I adjusted (I don't recall) - the multi-directional controller toggles Follow/FPV on the downward direction. My C1 and C2 are tied to gimbal reset/90 degrees and Aux light behavior. I might swap down and C2's settings for one another if I find FPV mode useful.

Next flight I do, I'll see if the button toggle during flight is what makes the difference. If so, it does make the menu setting a bit mysterious since it's a binary setting. In fact, hitting the down button was actively toggling the Follow/FPV selection in the open menu same as I was doing it by tapping... so...

And, yes, perhaps it's subtle in flight and I didn't think I was seeing it... but it doesn't seem subtle when holding the drone and tipping it (while I make the mandatory zooming / whooshing noises that such an action requires). :)

Next flight, I'll try out all the permutations and report back.

Thanks!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa