DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, not really seeing an appropriate group for this question so sorry if I'm on the wrong board.

I was kind of wondering what everything thinks of the DJI FPV? Seems a bit like a gen 1 product. (People with no experience and less demanding needs for "perfect footage" like it, but "real FPV pilots", and those who want a great image would at least change a lot of things about it.

Heres's my own thinking (based of reviews I've seen).

PRO'S
- Long flight time (For FPV).
- Good Camera (For FPV), with stabilised footage.
- Kind of fairly priced considering it includes the goggles and can get some unique shots?
- Flight modes with sensors for a "semi-normal" drone footage and flying experience.
- Flight modes that take the Training wheels off but still has some safety features.
- Includes goggles and a great transmission system
- Ready to fly (No build required)
- Fun to Fly, and great to learn on, with the possibility of using it for decent pro/am footage.

CON'S
- Shot flight time (compared to other DJI drones).
- Camera actually terrible (Most people seem to fit fit GoPro's to the top now), which makes stabilised 4K footage redundant.
- Propellers often appear in frame, requiring crops in post.
- Kind of expensive if you have to add a GoPro, and possibly not really worth it for the footage if you don't?
- Crashes are not easily repairable such as with a "homebuilt" FPV.
- Once you learn to fly it well, you'll quickly realise it's limitations in the air, and with the camera (but to be fair, other aircraft have a short flight time, no safety features, worse cameras, and still aren't generally "cinema" drones).

Anyway, assuming all that to be true... what do you think?

1. Buy now?
2. Wait for a V2? (Any rumours on when that may be?)
3. Find another way to get cinema FPV shots (with at least GoPro/Mavic level footage).

I don't know if these are accurate rumours, but this member posted some dates that's probably poking fun at how DJI releases the products.

July 2022 caught my eye, FPV mini. 🤔

Hey guys, not really seeing an appropriate group for this question so sorry if I'm on the wrong board.

I was kind of wondering what everything thinks of the DJI FPV? Seems a bit like a gen 1 product. (People with no experience and less demanding needs for "perfect footage" like it, but "real FPV pilots", and those who want a great image would at least change a lot of things about it.

Heres's my own thinking (based of reviews I've seen).

PRO'S
- Long flight time (For FPV).
- Good Camera (For FPV), with stabilised footage.
- Kind of fairly priced considering it includes the goggles and can get some unique shots?
- Flight modes with sensors for a "semi-normal" drone footage and flying experience.
- Flight modes that take the Training wheels off but still has some safety features.
- Includes goggles and a great transmission system
- Ready to fly (No build required)
- Fun to Fly, and great to learn on, with the possibility of using it for decent pro/am footage.

CON'S
- Shot flight time (compared to other DJI drones).
- Camera actually terrible (Most people seem to fit fit GoPro's to the top now), which makes stabilised 4K footage redundant.
- Propellers often appear in frame, requiring crops in post.
- Kind of expensive if you have to add a GoPro, and possibly not really worth it for the footage if you don't?
- Crashes are not easily repairable such as with a "homebuilt" FPV.
- Once you learn to fly it well, you'll quickly realise it's limitations in the air, and with the camera (but to be fair, other aircraft have a short flight time, no safety features, worse cameras, and still aren't generally "cinema" drones).

Anyway, assuming all that to be true... what do you think?

1. Buy now?
3. Find another way to get cinema FPV shots (with at least GoPro/Mavic level footage).
We have a forum for FPV flyers you can hit the link at bottom of page but here is the section in that forum 👍DJI FPV Combo

I purchased the DJI FPV drone because of the ability to use the goggles. I tend to fly in tight places and often low to the ground and the goggles help me see better and avoid crashing into things such as thin branches.

I love the immersive feeling of the FPV experience but absolutely HATE the ( Mod Removed Language) camera. Even if DJI had installed the same camera as what is on the Mini 2, I would have been happy.

Considering that a lot of people who fly DJI products are into cinematography, it seems odd to me that a 3-axis gimbal was not an option on this drone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the DJI FPV and it's a great compromise between "easy flying" and full on FPV. It's not GREAT in either respect it fits a middle ground need and does so very well.

For the purist of FPV it's probably a joke.
For the purist of cinematography it's probably a joke.
For someone who just wants to dabble in FPV is fit the bill and it's a great entry level going from "stabilized" UAS to full on manual FPV flight.

Considering that a lot of people who fly DJI products are into cinematography, it seems odd to me that a 3-axis gimbal was not an option on this drone.
A full 3-axis gimbal would remove a lot of the "thrill" of full FPV. You'd lose the "yanking & banking" feeling and IMHO it would degrade the immersive experience we love with FPV.

Reactions: okw and dirkclod
The dji fpv is the greatest drone dji has ever built. It enables fun flying at it's absolute best, it offers full acro in the easiest way, it's very fast, it's magnificently manoeuvreable, it's 14 minutes of adrenaline, and it's the only safe way NORMAL people can safely get into acro.
Nothing bad to say about it, and if you haven't bought one, today is the day

Reactions: NG Wildman
Back in the day.... I was a full time hang glider pilot but those days are well past. When I learned about the DJI FPV I knew I had to get it. I had not been interested in a little toy to fly around a race course and knew nothing of other FPV drones but a friend got a DJI FPV and I bought mine immediately. I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I also enjoy photography and videography so I quicky picked up a Mavic 3 which I also enjoy but nothing compares to looking straight down and flying around like superman. I also do enjoy filming with it although I have not had it very long and winter here (North Pole, Alaska) is somewhat limiting. I have posted a vid or two here and the combination of doing video and flying FPV is, for me, an incredible experience.

A full 3-axis gimbal would remove a lot of the "thrill" of full FPV. You'd lose the "yanking & banking" feeling and IMHO it would degrade the immersive experience we love with FPV.
Couldn't one axis have been locked for full FPV flying?

Seems like maybe it could have been the best of both worlds?

My problem though is less the gimbal, and more than really average camera they used (as I said... many who use it attach a GoPro), and the propellers getting in the way.

I'm pretty ok with it being "middle ground" for flying compared to a try FPV (so long as it moves well enough to capture dynamic FPV shots like diving, banking, and looping/rolling aerobatics).

But the camera "isn't good enough" (which is subjective, because there's always a better camera out there). And positioning it like that makes me determined to wait for an FPV, V2 which is a shame, because I find the concept super exciting (Way more fun to fly and way more interesting shots).

If DJI are listening:

- Rip the 5.2K Air 2S camera out (with any necessary tweaks obviously), and stick it straight on almost the same FPV airframe. Even if the props are in shot, there's enough resolution there to pull 4K out of it.

- The codecs/bitrates on the Air 2S are fine, but adding ProRes 422LT would be frigging sweet considering how much better it would look at high speeds, and should allow SD cards to stay the storage medium.

- If possible, add a 3 Axis Gimbal (that can be locked to 2 axis for FPV flight), and give it a mode that makes it fly more like a regular drone. (Also add a sensor or two to make it a bit safer to fly like that, and even in some FPV modes).

- Give it HDMI for a client/spotter to view, call it "DJI FPV Pro", add $1500, and I'll pay it immediately. :)

- Alternatively (or as well), bring out a "Mini" that prioritises flight characteristics, with an acceptable cameras (Mavic Air 2/3, air Air 2 level), and through in some extra DJI magic. Keep it at or near the current price point, and I'm sure many will buy that, either instead of as well.

- And in both cases, if possible... sell the Goggles separately (I'm sure many already own the required V2's).

While the camera isn't amazing on the FPV, for non-pros it seems just fine. Check out my videos and other vids from folks using the FPV and let us know what you think and what you consider to be the shortcomings. I agree the -control- of the camera is lacking...no changing aperture and such...but it is to me, a reasonable camera all in all. I will certainly buy the next FPV DJI puts out. Just about whatever they choose to improve I'll end up liking. That said..I like what is there even now :). Here's one vid that I posted in an earlier thread. Richardson Hwy

Back in the day.... I was a full time hang glider pilot but those days are well past. When I learned about the DJI FPV I knew I had to get it. I had not been interested in a little toy to fly around a race course and knew nothing of other FPV drones but a friend got a DJI FPV and I bought mine immediately. I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I also enjoy photography and videography so I quicky picked up a Mavic 3 which I also enjoy but nothing compares to looking straight down and flying around like superman. I also do enjoy filming with it although I have not had it very long and winter here (North Pole, Alaska) is somewhat limiting. I have posted a vid or two here and the combination of doing video and flying FPV is, for me, an incredible experience.
I love the thrill of flying my FPV and the video gives a totally different perspective to the Mavic's
While the camera isn't amazing on the FPV, for non-pros it seems just fine. Check out my videos and other vids from folks using the FPV and let us know what you think and what you consider to be the shortcomings. I agree the -control- of the camera is lacking...no changing aperture and such...but it is to me, a reasonable camera all in all. I will certainly buy the next FPV DJI puts out. Just about whatever they choose to improve I'll end up liking. That said..I like what is there even now :). Here's one vid that I posted in an earlier thread. Richardson Hwy
Love your video. I now live at the other extreme, Australia. Coming from Northern England, and having lived in the far north of Scotland, Sometimes I dream of winter snow like that.

I like watching the videos from my FPV as they give me and my audience a greater feeling of presence than cinematography drones. Sometimes I shoot with the props in view, other times I set it up not to show props.

When I am shooting regular footage, I go back to my other drones. Best of both worlds.

I saw this video and now don't want to buy a DJI FPV:

If you say his surname fast, you'll find it's actually "wrong"!.
His sour grapes over the fact that DJI didn't give him a free one is obvious. Couldn't watch the whole video, but just the stability and aircraft warning system put it streets ahead of regular fov quads.
LeDrib says mavic pilots LOVE it. That's true, but even more, it's beloved to regular pilots.
It enables a flawless and easy transition from baby flying, to proper piloting, where you are solely responsible for your aircraft's movements.
Just cruising in manual mode is LIBERATING, because unlike regular fpvs, you have a brake button, safe modes which give super precise control, gps if you want, and full rate adjustable acro when you feel like it.
The DJI FPV rates as one of the best purchases i ever made!
My passion-flying over photography. The good camera and great goggles are added bonuses.

Reactions: dirkclod
So i watched the video and remembered his crash. It was indeed a crash. He lost control and slammed it into the asphalt. Certainly a regular fpv would have faired better, but this drone is not for crashing, it's for flying.
I have over 150 hours on mine, and still won't land in manual mode, as it's STUPID!
The drone enables completely safe landings in sport and normal mode, so use them. They're great, even in 50mph winds. After 1000 successful acro landings, one wrong one and damage to props is likely, so why do it. Regular fpv pilots have no choice. This drone gives you the better option.
He also says it's not for 1st time users. In fact, that's who is best for. If you want to fly proximity to the point where crashes are certain, add regular fpv quads to your harem.
(Although a crash with a 1000 dollar go pro is also not cheap).
The biggest problem with this drone, is since getting it, i no longer fly my 12 other drones.

Reactions: Kilrah
He also says it's not for 1st time users. In fact, that's who is best for.
I couldn't agree more. Having the simple control stick and the FPV goggles make the DJI FPV one of the easiest drones for beginners to fly and one of the most exciting. I got an M3 so I could do better gimble stabilized video but in terms of simple, exciting flying, the FPV is so much more fun.

I fly my FPV when I just want to fly for fun, which is about 90% of the time. Nothing compares.

While I've developed good manual skills, I probably fly 50% of my FPV time in Sport mode using the Motion Controller, which simulates a traditional aircraft control stick in your hand.

The flight controller then flies the drone very much like a fixed-wing plane, continously controlling camera pitch to simulate pitch behavior of a plane.

The result is a thrilling, heart-pounding experience that feels like racing around in a high performance jet. This can not be duplicated with the standard RC – impossible to duplicate the camera pitch control.

Here's a clip from a few days ago... working my way to shooting the pier at full throttle. This one was around 40mph on exit!!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Reactions: EpicFlight
A lot of people worship Ken Heron, and credit where due he has a lot of expertise, good experience, and has helped thousands of newbs as well as veterans.

That said, he has clear biases and can really be a tool sometimes. Best way to make a decision about buying an FPV is to find a friend who has one and get a live demo.

I fly my FPV when I just want to fly for fun, which is about 90% of the time. Nothing compares.

While I've developed good manual skills, I probably fly 50% of my FPV time in Sport mode using the Motion Controller, which simulates a traditional aircraft control stick in your hand.

The flight controller then flies the drone very much like a fixed-wing plane, continously controlling camera pitch to simulate pitch behavior of a plane.

The result is a thrilling, heart-pounding experience that feels like racing around in a high performance jet. This can not be duplicated with the standard RC – impossible to duplicate the camera pitch control.

Here's a clip from a few days ago... working my way to shooting the pier at full throttle. This one was around 40mph on exit!!

I’d love to see you fly that starting over land, dive and bank sharply down, flying right along the jetty ‘on the deck’ almost, all the way and off the end at sports speed.
A cool early morning, no people clip.
Maybe a future project.

A lot of people worship Ken Heron, and credit where due he has a lot of expertise, good experience, and has helped thousands of newbs as well as veterans.

That said, he has clear biases and can really be a tool sometimes. Best way to make a decision about buying an FPV is to find a friend who has one and get a live demo.

Well I agree on your last statement but we shall just have to
agree to disagree. Last video here I spent to much time cleaning
where he and his buddy were showing how a Mavic could fly
4 miles out and back. Real good info for noobs to see.
Guess you need to look at more than 1 video before you make up your mind on purchasing one.
Only issue I had with mine was I kept falling over when making turns. 😀
But enough on him.
The DJI FPV though not for everyone but is a good bird to fly and
is tougher than a lot think.

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member