DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

France, before I go what do I need to know?

4K Beaches

Reactions
So the title says it all. Will our drones (Mavic 2 Pro) be able to fly there? I will be there for 2 weeks and will be traveling throughout the country. Any info on laws, regulation, etc., or links to good threads or articles on this subject?

Much Thanks!

Reactions: Thomas B
I just got back from a six week holiday. Dubai, Singapore, england,France, Spain,Andorra,Hong Kong.
Not one bit of trouble. Had Mavic pro.
Separated batteries in carry on. That’s it. No questions.
Just be aware of local laws regarding posting drone footage on social media. Some countries including Spain, can fine you a fortune.

Here is link of regulations. Drone Laws in France | UAV Coach (2019)
The Mavic 2 Pro weighs 907 grams. So according to the regulations, you will need to register the drone and undergo training and obtain a certificate.
Link to Training: FOX ALPHATANGO
I followed your link, took the training and passed the test. Now I know this is not your fault, but after that I was directed to a page to print my certificate, but I wasn't able to complete the form they asked for. It looked like you needed to be a member of one of two model flying clubs, which of course, I'm not, but it also wouldn't accept my address. It's a US address, but the pulldown had the US, or EU in French, but it kept giving me an unexplained error. I don't really need the certificate as I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to France (I hope so), but I thought it would be cool to have.

Hello
I'm french...
I fly my mavic pro here since 2 years now.
Rules about drone are simple: (but can change at any time, even if the "drone law" came out a few months ago, son keep a watch on legislation when you're here! ;) )

First, you have to fly with a 800grams or less drone to be free about flying anyway.
If your drone weights more (like mavic pro 2), you'll need to answer a quiz on this website:

(Need to register before answering it)
You need to have at least 18 right answer over 20 questions about regulation, security and drone manoeuvers, but it's very basic, and , as a useless law, you can try it as many times as necessary to get enought good answers. Then , you can download a file that you can keep on your device un case of a policeman ask you about it... It never happened to me yet...

Other rules are simple:
-do not fly over any city or public places (exept if you have authorisation from the place owner ) , or sensitive areas like airports, military places or nuclear stations....
-do not fly over people
-don't fly over more than 150m high, maximum. You can find some apps that can show you where you can fly this height, or places where it's forbiden to fly , or other max altitudes to fly. I use "géodrones", which is the best to me: it shows you with diferent colors the diferent altitude restrictions , on a Google map..
-keep your drone un sight
-flying over national natural parks is forbiden
-flying over seas is forbiden too...
- if you fly with goggles, someone must be next to you, to watch you drone's evolutions and what's going on around...

Other restrictions : dont fly in hard winds, under rain or in clouds....(logical...)
If there is any emergency (security/urgency helicopter ,planes or paragliders....) they have priority over your drone, so make it come back quickly !!!

It's the most important rules you need to know...maybe I forgot something...if I remind it, I'll tell you!

Just be prepared about people who are scared about drones, or don't understand what it is.... Maybe some will scream on you (happened a few times to me)...
So try to fly your drone when nobody is around you, you'll fly safely and quietly!
Enjoy your trip !

If needed, I live near Grenoble, in the alps ;)

Hello
I'm french...
I fly my mavic pro here since 2 years now.
Rules about drone are simple: (but can change at any time, even if the "drone law" came out a few months ago, son keep a watch on legislation when you're here! ;) )

First, you have to fly with a 800grams or less drone to be free about flying anyway.
If your drone weights more (like mavic pro 2), you'll need to answer a quiz on this website:

(Need to register before answering it)
You need to have at least 18 right answer over 20 questions about regulation, security and drone manoeuvers, but it's very basic, and , as a useless law, you can try it as many times as necessary to get enought good answers. Then , you can download a file that you can keep on your device un case of a policeman ask you about it... It never happened to me yet...

Other rules are simple:
-do not fly over any city or public places (exept if you have authorisation from the place owner ) , or sensitive areas like airports, military places or nuclear stations....
-do not fly over people
-don't fly over more than 150m high, maximum. You can find some apps that can show you where you can fly this height, or places where it's forbiden to fly , or other max altitudes to fly. I use "géodrones", which is the best to me: it shows you with diferent colors the diferent altitude restrictions , on a Google map..
-keep your drone un sight
-flying over national natural parks is forbiden
-flying over seas is forbiden too...
- if you fly with goggles, someone must be next to you, to watch you drone's evolutions and what's going on around...

Other restrictions : dont fly in hard winds, under rain or in clouds....(logical...)
If there is any emergency (security/urgency helicopter ,planes or paragliders....) they have priority over your drone, so make it come back quickly !!!

It's the most important rules you need to know...maybe I forgot something...if I remind it, I'll tell you!

Just be prepared about people who are scared about drones, or don't understand what it is.... Maybe some will scream on you (happened a few times to me)...
So try to fly your drone when nobody is around you, you'll fly safely and quietly!
Enjoy your trip !

If needed, I live near Grenoble, in the alps ;)
Hello, I don't know if you were trying to answer me (Post #4). I created an account, took the training and passed the test (they needed all 20 correct, which I did), but when I tried to get my certificate, that's when I had trouble. I do not belong to a French model society and the form did not like my US address. BTW, I have been to France many times, even to Grenoble.

Hello, I don't know if you were trying to answer me (Post #4). I created an account, took the training and passed the test (they needed all 20 correct, which I did), but when I tried to get my certificate, that's when I had trouble. I do not belong to a French model society and the form did not like my US address. BTW, I have been to France many times, even to Grenoble.
I was mostly answering "4K beaches", but I read your post too...I think that the french administration didn't even think about stranger pilots, coming in France... Sh..ty French administration.... :/
I guess that you still can fly in France with a 800gr + drone, but maybe you'll need to ask directly at the DGAC (equivalent of the FAA in US I guess?) how to do..
Yes, my bad, 20/20 good answers is needed!
Yep, hope you enjoyed your stay around here!!?
Hmm...to achieve the process, maybe you should " lie", and give a french adress instead of your US adress...it will probably works. If you come again in France and it still doesn't work, let me know, I can give you my adress....

So if 4k beaches own a mavic pro 1/mavic air or spark, he don't mind about this form, he will be able to fly over here without any trouble!

Reactions: W2EJ
I was mostly answering "4K beaches", but I read your post too...I think that the french administration didn't even think about stranger pilots, coming in France... Sh..ty French administration.... :/
I guess that you still can fly in France with a 800gr + drone, but maybe you'll need to ask directly at the DGAC (equivalent of the FAA in US I guess?) how to do..
Yes, my bad, 20/20 good answers is needed!
Yep, hope you enjoyed your stay around here!!?
Hmm...to achieve the process, maybe you should " lie", and give a french adress instead of your US adress...it will probably works. If you come again in France and it still doesn't work, let me know, I can give you my adress....

So if 4k beaches own a mavic pro 1/mavic air or spark, he don't mind about this form, he will be able to fly over here without any trouble!
My poor understanding of the French language on the website was my problem. Maybe it was too late last night when I tried to do it. This morning I was able to figure it out. I got my certificate and I even registered my drone and got that certificate as well. I hope someday to meet you in France. Merci, a bientot.

Reactions: jason38
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+